colonial website?

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: colonial website?

Postby Amazonwarlord » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:33 am

Quote:
Matt's been very responsive to feedback, but likes to give things a chance, and he's the organizer. In 3 years, he's changed a good deal when it comes to scenarios, scoring, etc.

Ok, I stand corrected (again - gotta stop making a habit of that). But still, I get a little tired of what sounds like whining. Either go or don't. Want to talk about the cards and how you, your buds should deal with it ? Fine. Want to protest their use? Then say so - once - and send York an e-mail.

Y'all sound like a bunch of bickering old hens. :evil :lol
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -bigALtheBRUTE » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:58 am

@ Ed
I expected people to play monster slayer against me! Duh...they are dwarfs, that guyrocopter would be worth a million points if someone took it out with that card. I'm bringing my DL, so you can kiss my hairy white arse
-bigALtheBRUTE

Postby -gjnoronh » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Well I think the same key folks have had the same argument about the marauder/colonial cards before. I'm not going to change your mind on anything but did want to address some false statements.

"There is no point to them. Almost everyone not affilated with the marauder GT or York says they suck. "

As Ed points out the feedback from players after the marauder was very positive. I'm not affiliated with either GT but played in both last year and I literally had half a dozen folks at the Marauder say it was their favorite system they've played in.

I absolutely agree there are clearly some people who didn't like the system AND that it nerfs some lists more than others. That being said I don't recall people saying "best GT system ever" at any other GT I've bin to.

As to why/how the marauder system was created Mike and his club (the Marauders of the Marauder GT) play tested them, submitted them to the community for comments and then went back and rewrote them. They were quite responsive to feedback on the Rogues Den boards prior to the event, and in my interactions with Mike he's been VERY responsive and interested in feedback post event.
Don't blame the cards on Mike's supposed inability to play against particular kinds of armies until you've played him. He didn't design them in isolation.

As to why Matt's using them - maybe because he heard the same positive things from the tournament goers. Last year IIRC he used the Hillbilly scoring and scenario system which is only the largest most famous Indy GT - we didn't like it so he's changing it.

Matt's seen more WFB GT's than anyone I've ever met - I think he's got a sense of what his rules set options are.

Gary
-gjnoronh

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:20 pm

Quote:
That being said I don't recall people saying "best GT system ever" at any other GT I've bin to.
Ask people about the Necro. SImple, old-school style event with fixed, well thought-out, playtested scenarios. That's the best system ever. GW did it for many years. One of the problems with UKGT's seems to me to be the fact that they play 5 games of pitched battle. And that's it.

My favorite system is scenarios which are not known to the players beforehand. That way, you can risk everything and build a one-trick pony, but the smart money is on building a balanced force.

And personally, I liked the hillbilly system. It's nice to give someone a chance to win a GT on something other than battle scores. After all, there already exists a "best general" award. Why should that almost always translate into a best overall?

Listen... we're complaining about the cards for the same reason a large number of people complained about the hillbilly scoring system: we'd like to see things changed. If not for this year, then for next year. In any case, we're still supporting the event this year
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mauleed » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:34 pm

Well I haven't been to the necro, but I think fixed round to round scenarios blow.

They are much more likely to have one player start the game in a whole (a deeper hole than his opponent) than any card system (assuming the people using the cards design their lists and play the cards intelligently).

Here's what's on the mind of people who are lurking:

Necro GT, Warmongers do great and win it, so the scenarios rule

Marauder GT, Warmongers unable to exibit their usual dominance, so the cards blow.

Flame on!!!!!!
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:37 pm

:lol Come on now, even WE can't win them all. ;)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mauleed » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:38 pm

Well cards or not, the Colonial has the scoring of a beauty pageant, so I'm sure that you warmongers will be back to your winning ways.
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:39 pm

Hey.. don't blame us for sexy genes
VectorAWX3

Postby -robkopp » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:34 pm

Ed you cannot believe what you just wrote. So I think Ed Maule could be the first documented case of web dissociative identity disorder. Ed's like that girl from heroes except that he's not hot and instead of anger bringing the alternate to the surface its the internet.

I have this image of Ed is joyfully walking up to his house, takes off his coat and sitting down at his computer. Suddenly his face changes, he humps over, starts to drool and INTERNET ED is born.
:rollin
-robkopp

Postby jchrisobrien » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:39 pm

The scoring at the Colonial is evenly split between battle, painting, comp, and sportsmanship, right?

Even if the cards do hurt an army, or your build your army to avoid the cards, it's still only a quarter of your score.
"Play the game!" --KevinC
jchrisobrien

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy