Order of panic tests?

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: Order of panic tests?

Postby Sergrum » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:50 am

I don't see why you wouldn't pick your order (you do for everything else), that and i think any opponents would think to argue unless the question was specifically brought up by you. Again, I'm in the pick your own. What else would you do? Randomize it?

Sergrum
Sergrum

Postby subversive » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:28 am

Well, there's a school of thought that might try to argue it this way:

If you go through and use your general's Ld on 3 panic tests, and then take his and he runs away like a little girl, he's not exactly inspiring bravery. Panic all happens at the end of the phase, and if it's not specified, then it's taking advantage of a loophole to use your general's Ld even though he might be running away at the same time
subversive

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:34 am

Well, that's a fluff argument. I can say that the general is the LAST to flee, so he tries to inspire his troops around him. If they run, he feels unsuported, and tells his own unit to high-tail it. Or... he could be telling the troops around him to hold and fight, as he makes his own cunning retreat to safety. You can't argue fluff, as there's always a counter
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby subversive » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:51 am

I don't think it's just a fluff argument, I think it's a mechanics argument. If the panic tests are indeed simultaneous, how can the general both be inspiring (passing his Ld) and running away at the same time?

I think there's two possible schools of thought here:

1. It's unspecified, so it's like other Ld tests that are specified, which means you get to pick your order.

2. It's unspecified, so it's simultaneous. The general can't lead and run at the same time, so you'd have to take his first.

While I lean towards option 1, I have yet to find a clear cut ruling one way or the other.
subversive

Postby subversive » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:05 am

Also: I was mistaken. Panic from destroyed units is immediate, not end of phase. That also answers the question of whether a character in a unit that's destroyed takes a 25% panic test from his unit taking casualties, or a unit-wiped-out panic test
subversive

Postby subversive » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:23 pm

Looking through the book more closely, I can't find anything that specifically details order of panic (or any other) psychology tests, neither specific/chosen or simultaneous
subversive

Previous

Return to Warhammer Fantasy