Characters in units that are destroyed

Moderator: Anger Worm

Characters in units that are destroyed

Postby subversive » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:37 am

Something came up in a game I played on monday:
A unit of goblins had two characters in it. It was slowly whittled down until there were no goblins left. This happened in the shooting phase, and there was still more shooting to be done. What happens to the characters? Are they still a unit together, despite the fact that a character cannot join another character? Or do they automatically get separated?

My interpretation went like this:
Since they were a unit at the start of the turn, they could not leave the unit even though all the rank and file had been killed, thus making them still one unit together. Since leaving a unit happens in your movement phase, you're still stuck together until then.

Any thoughts
subversive

Re: Characters in units that are destroyed

Postby mattbird » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:43 am

i would say automatically seperated, as they cannot be in a unit with themselves
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby -Jarrett » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:48 am

I agree, when there's no models left in the unit the characters become two seperate units
-Jarrett

Postby DiceDogsPete » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:11 am

See Tommy. Even the Mongers agree with me.
DiceDogsPete

Postby subversive » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:24 am

Interesting. In terms of RAW (if that's the kind of player you are), do you not draw a distinction between joining a unit and being in a unit? Or the mechanisms involved in joining or leaving a unit? Phrased differently, I see that one character can't join another character, but I don't see anything that says you have to split two characters that are all that's left of a pre-existing unit.

Here's the relevant text (page 72-73, BRB):
Quote:
Characters normally move and fight on their own. In effect, a character counts as an individual unit comprising [sic] of only one model. However, during the course of a battle, a character is allowed to join a friendly unit of troops infantry, cavalry, unit of chariots or a war machine's crew, but never a monster, single chariot, unit of flyers or another character! In this case he becomes a part of that unit until he decides to leave it.

... no characters mounted on flying models, how to join a unit, movement restrictions, etc...

Except in the circumstances noted below, a character that is part of a unit of troops can leave during the movement phase. [emphasis mine] A character is able to leave one unit of troops and join another in the same turn if you so wish, but he is unable to join and leave the same unit in the same turn.

...can't leave a unit subject to compulsory moves, engaged in combat, etc...

The only time that a character is allowed to leave a unit (according to this, anyway) is during the movement phase.

In the case I had, there was still more shooting to happen, and it made a difference whether the characters were together in the unit (shots randomized) or separate (characters targetted separately)
subversive

Postby subversive » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:28 am

Pete, the fact that they're coming down on the same side as a guy who doesn't own a rulebook should tell them something :p
subversive

Postby DiceDogsPete » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:39 am

I own a rulebook. Its just not the correct edition...
DiceDogsPete

Postby subversive » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:42 am

*sigh* and I wonder why we can't field a winning NEWCC team..
subversive

Postby -veritas117 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:52 am

See, the reference to characters joining and leaving units is all well and good, but it isn't useful because there isn't a unit to join or leave; they're just standing there by themselves. I have to agree with the other mongers that they are seperate targets because, well, they are :)
-veritas117

Postby subversive » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:09 am

Ok, so how about this: Is the unit wiped out for purposes of causing panic
subversive

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy