Characters in units that are destroyed

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: Characters in units that are destroyed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:20 am

HAng on.. I didasgarr.. and anot cause I'm drunk.

A chaarcater IS a unit. As is achoriot. A monster. A giant. etc.

I'll aweitht mor whant I'm sober.. nbut I thin ithiney thstary a unit
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby subversive » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:21 am

Liquid lunch
subversive

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:24 am

:b :b :D :) :smokin :rollin FaRisdiDAY BABey! :D : :o
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby subversive » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:28 am

Nidal is drunk, and on my side. Therefore, I win
subversive

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:30 am

:hat Thas' ta a pimpo move!!
VectorAWX3

Postby subversive » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:25 pm

So, back after the weekend recess, what's the verdict on my second question? If you've got a character in a unit, and everyone but the character is wiped out, does it cause a panic test for everyone within 6"? Or is the character considered part of the unit still, and no panic test
subversive

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:44 pm

I would say no panic check for those around.. but the character takes a check for having 25% of his unit shot out from around him
VectorAWX3

Postby -Jarrett » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:53 pm

A character does not become part of the unit he joins. He is a unit that can join a unit, and is placed in the front rank. The benefits are explained in the rulebook. Him occupying space in the front rank of the unit does not change the fact that a unit has been destroyed if everyone else has been killed around him.

Does it matter for him?

No, because if he's in a unit destroyed in combat he's in combat and so is immune to psychology.

If he is a unit that gets wiped from shooting he's already taking a test for 25% casualties.

Does the unit that died around him count as wiped for the other units nearby?

Yes. Once the members die he is no longer a part of that unit, and the unit has been completely destroyed thus causing panic
-Jarrett

Postby subversive » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:22 pm

Interesting. Looking at p78, I think that the rules support Jarrett's interpretation:

Characters & Units
While a character is with a unit of troops he is considered to be part of that unit in all respects. This means that if the unit flees, he must... yadda yadda yadda.

If the unit is destroyed, he's no longer with the unit (being as how they're all dead). Not that it makes any difference, but I think he'd test from friendly unit being wiped out, not from 25% casualties.

Here's another twist: What if there were 4 US 1 models in the unit, plus the character. The unit started out the phase as US 5 or more, since it included the character's US. The unit is destroyed, although the destroyed portion of the unit was only US 4.

I'm guessing the answer would be the same, as the unit started the phase as US 5+
subversive

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Quote:
Him occupying space in the front rank of the unit does not change the fact that a unit has been destroyed if everyone else has been killed around him.
I'm not so sure about that. Let's say that at the time of the shooting, 9 rankers and the general were THE UNIT. The shooting didn't wipe out THE UNIT, it wiped out 9/10 of the unit. At least that's my interpretation.

By that thought, if it's 4 rank-and-file and one general in a unit, and you lose a single ranker to a bowshot, the unit has to take a panic check as 25% of "the unit" just died. Makes no sense to me. (could be the rule.. just makes no sense)

By the way, keep in mind that champs are now characters who can never leave the unit, for all intents and purposes. If a unit of 5 cav with a champ get hit by a bolt-thrower, you randomize to see if the champ is skewered.
VectorAWX3

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy