Dwarf building

Moderator: Anger Worm

Dwarf building

Postby xmbk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:41 am

For some reason Todd is of the opinion that some people on here know how to play Warhammer, and Dwarfs in particular. ;)

I'm working on making a Dwarfen Throng list. But there are a lot of little things that add up to make a big difference.

How many block units before diminishing returns kicks in?
What type of support units - Miners, Slayers, Thunderers, blocks of 10 Warriors w/GW?
BSB seems like a given - rune him or his standard?
Can I survive with no shooting (it means nothing needs protecting, and denies enemy fast stuff a viable target)?
How many rock units of LB or Hammerers?
2 Gyro?
If there are no juicy targets, do I really need DD, especially if the elite unit(s) get Oathstones (MR1)?

Thanks for any insights.
Not caring adds a whole new dimension to the game.
xmbk

Re: Dwarf building

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:03 am

Dwarves in thongs? Dude... that's just plain gross. Take that kind of talk elsewhere. :x
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -bigALtheBRUTE » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:53 am

If you have no shooting in a dwarf list, I would suggest runesmiths. I wouldn't use more than one gyrocopter, but I know Ronen ran two for awhile.
I think you need Iron breakers, They are GOOD! there is only one other unit in the game with that good of an armor save on foot, chosen warriors, and they start at 21 pts with shields. I would take the IBs over hammerers any day
-bigALtheBRUTE

Postby -Galladorn » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:34 pm

IF the dwarves go to war without the benefit of a shooting phase, here's how I would do it:

2 blocks of warriors with great weapons
2 blocks of longbeards (HW, shield)
hammerers to hold the center, strength 6, stubborn, nice
1 small slayers to tar pit some scary shit (I like 12, 6 x 2)

2 units of miners (20 strong, with steam drill)

blocks form an uber powerful line, Oathstones on the flanks, and with the miners most likely showing up behind enemy lines to wreak havoc on the second or third turn

I've been finding that longbeards (hand weapon, shield 11 points) are just as good as ironbreakers (13 points). why use up a special choice and 2 points a model to add +1 to your save?

for characters:
dwarf lord on shieldbearers (hammerers, makes them immune to fear and terror))
2 x thanes w/ oathstones each in great weapons unit on flanks
runesmith 1 rune of spell breaking (this dude is usually optional for me, I usually just like him to stop that 1 critical spell of the game)

I also use VERY few runes on my dudes. I find that the big trap with the dwarves is to crank up the power on the characters. I mostly add a small runic weapon, and rely on my T5 and good armor save (with the mandatory rune of stone)

for 2250 you may have to drop a block of longbeards to have powerful characters, but you'll scare the crap out of an opponent when you have 140+ dwarves on the board for a tournament game
-Galladorn

Postby xmbk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:19 pm

LB are 12 points, 13 with GW.
xmbk

Postby -TheRooster101 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:34 pm

Quick note, Longbeards are +3 points/model so they are 11 points base and +1 point to give them shields. They are only 1 point less than Ironbreakers. If they were only 10 points for shields they would be ultra pwnage.

One idea for no war machines might be to put some faster moving DOW troops in your army. I am always a fan of Ogres so you can cause some fear and they charge 12". Great for holding an opponent's regiment in place that likes to keep fleeing from your charges. Plus they actually give you a chance to flank for a change. Something the dwarfs rarely get to do.
-TheRooster101

Postby xmbk » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:06 am

I'm trying for the perfect mix: fluffy, fun to play with and against, and competitive. Hence the minimalized shooting and maximized troop count. So DoW are right out. :)

Normally IB take up a valuable special, and LB are nice because they fill a core. But with this army, core is no problem. The IB make great BSB babysitters - thanks, Al.
xmbk

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:46 am

I find a strength 7 bolt thrower with BS 4 to be a great bargain, and highly useful. I think chariots are a big threat to Dwarfs and these eliminate them reliably, and also help control large monsters. With stubborn crew Dwarf War machines are extremely tough, and your opponent may find a single machine takes his harpies/furies/whatever nearly the whole game to eliminate.

2 Gyros is a very good option (I think the points are more justified with a pair than a single one). One of the biggest problems I've had with Dwarfs in the years I played them was extracting victory points from my opponents army. Most armies do this by running units down - dwarfs don't succeed most of the time. Gyros are excellent for charging into combats you know you'll win, and pursuing the fleeing unit 3d6. They also march block and really burn up light units like elf spears.

Iron breakers are excellent, especially with oath stones. The uber anvil.

But there is certainly a place for hammerers. They're always stubborn so they do not need a runestone or general - and with leadership 9 (and the BSB of course) this is superb. With the general they have no vulnerability to autobreak.

And Longbeards are also a very solid choice now. They effectively eliminate panic. One failed panic test can crumble your line - you simply cannot afford to fail. I really can't convey how many games I wound up drawing because of a failed panic test. With Dwarfs moving so slow anything heading backwards is basically lost.

If you're going to spend points on runes for your BSB, these should be for his banner, not him. The Strollaz rune is ideal if you want to engage the enemy with a horde of Dwarfs. I also love the master Rune of Stromni Redbeard, though it's less cost effective.

Shooting units are all right - hardly necessary
-Jarrett

Postby -Galladorn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:56 am

Got my butt kicked on that longbeard point value screwup!!!
-Galladorn

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:20 am

I also highly recommend a Dwarf Lord most games (especially for a combat army). I haven't tried the anvil (just doesn't appeal to my Dwarf sensibilities), but leadership 10 is a great asset with a BSB.

1 Runesmith is usually sufficient magic defense. Equip him with the Master Rune of Balance and a Rune of Spellbreaking, or 2 or 3 Runes of Spellbreaking. This is very effective dispel for minimal points
-Jarrett

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy