Benner of Ellyrion on BSB in chariot.

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: Benner of Ellyrion on BSB in chariot.

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:48 pm

BSBs are pretty standard in WE lists - usually hanging out in wardancers to give trees stubborn reroll.
WickerNipple

Postby KevinC » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:56 pm

Quote:
BSB's never fit into my battle philosophy. They imply losing combat by a bit and then relying on dice. Plus, they're only good in a 12 inch radius. I never liked that plan. Didn't like it with the orcs, don't like it with the elves.

----------------Nidal I don't think people take a BSB because they think they are going to lose and want to rely on a reroll. It is because no matter how good of a general you are the dice can go badly for you. Imagine one of your big Elf units loses combat to a unit of snotlings, you lose by one, fail the break test and flee. If you had a BSB this unlikely situation could have been avoided.

So a BSB can be very important, especially for armies with few units or low LD.

Kevin out
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 pm

High elf spearmen will NEVER lose to snotlings. :lol NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER

And if I were afraid of it happening, I would flee. (That would be a great story to tell the high-elf nobility... how the unit under your command fled from snotlings).

I see your point, but again, if my spearmen were more than 12 inches away, I'm SOL.

You know what sucks about not taking a BSB? A bunch of tournies think that every game you end with a BSB in your possetion is work +1 bonus point. :rolleyes
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -bigALtheBRUTE » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:35 pm

Ithink what kevin's saying is that if you botch your rolls for armor save and your attacks, you might loose combat by one. Even though you expected your pansy elves not to loose. And when you take your LD test say you roll an 8, and your unit runs away. With a BSB you can back your chances of standing by re-rolling your horrific bad luck rolls
-bigALtheBRUTE

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:39 pm

Right... so that fits into what I was saying earlier.. in CASE I lose for whatever reason, the BSB gives me a reroll. That's not a good enough reson, IMO. Andy P's reason is great: To put doubt into the mind of your opponent that he can reliably break you.

Oh, and I'm Nidal. I don't botch dice rolls. ;)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -robkopp » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:44 pm

Wait is that banner the move through woods. If so that guy could possibly be a terror. A US 5 chariot that can hide in woods. He is more of an offensive/big target then just there for his reroll. .
-robkopp

Postby Ring87 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 pm

I have never taken less than 18 Eternal Guard. The synergy between the EG, Bsb and treeman is great. Static 7 combat res is great. I can't count how many times my dryads stuck because of the reroll. As they usually lose by 1 to t3 ranked infantry.

EG are the best "Elven" infantry period. They support my aggressive play style. I love bloodbaths. EG are still t3, 5+Armor and die in droves to anything accept the weakest units. I consider them a gift to my opponent.

An interesting point...someone challenges my bsb, I refuse and he goes to the back. The unit is still stubborn as this is a unit ability not a character ability. His presence along make them stubborn. I have never done this. Annoyance of nettings is a wonderful thing. It can also be taken with a magical banner as it is not a magical item. Its like a mark/honor I guess. Again I have never done this as I try not to do anything that would create any static but both are fully legal.
Ring87

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:13 am

Rob, on top of that, he gets 18 inch charge, d6 impact hits, 2 horses, his hero attacks, and potentially a war banner! Positioned properly in the woods on the side, he can totally threaten the flank of any advancing army. By positioning him properly, he can see out at certain angles while not being seen by handgunners/crossbows/cannon/BT's, etc. It's an interesting piece to use in the game.

Brian, the best elven infantry are High-elf seaguard. ;) Don't you have a champ in that unit? If I challenged and you declined, I'd just move the champ to the back. Why 18? Do you go 5 wide? 7 wide?
VectorAWX3

Postby Ring87 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:26 am

Seaguard, :lol . 15pts each for 6 or 7 st3 missile attacks vs ws5, 3 attacks to the front, two in the flanks. Stubborn "unit" ability. Move through woods for free, please. Seaguard are perhaps the worst elven infantry.

1. Who says I have a unit champ.
2. Who says the Bsb has annoyence how about a 3+ ward, 4+As.
3.With a big enough frontage he can't even be contacted.

Also, I dare you to put your Bsb in the woods vs me. Easy pickens:smokin .

I go 6 wide 5 deep now.
Ring87

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:33 am

Hey man... I share the 3 attacks to the front. :p And we weren't talking about point values, were we? Just who was the BEST! ;) And it's not 6 or 7 shots to the front. It's 20 shots to the front at that unit of handgunners that thought they were slick setting up on that hill. Move through woods is 25 points for us. And we might not be stubborn, but we'll be damned if you can catch us with our good flee rolls. :lol And WS5, well our mage will make you WS1, so NYAH!!!!  >D

Alright.. we're pretty bad. What do you want? :rollin

If I were you, I'd try 7 wide. It's an extra 3 attacks for you, and an extra 0 attacks for the enemy. Solid
VectorAWX3

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy