Army Concept questions

Moderator: Anger Worm

Army Concept questions

Postby Ring87 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:40 pm

nspired by the upcoming 300 movie and the book Gates of Fire. I have decided to put together a Spartan themed army. I have army list Ideas to go along with the modeling Ideas. The models will be coming from 3 different lines.

The Spartans and characters will come from Crocodile Games.
www.coolminiornot.com/68475
The site is down right now. The models are not release yet but will be out soon.
Javelin Peltas:
www.privateerpress.com/HO...ture&id=79

I am planning on using the new High Elves list when it comes out. King Leonidas with the Lion Guard Honor ect. High Elves spear Elves as Hoplites. Possibly Maiden Guard as Elite Body guards.

My question is how do people feel about. "Counts as" models?
Ring87

Re: Army Concept questions

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:45 pm

Depends on the models. Greek warriors with spears/great-swords look an AWFUL lot like high-elves with spears/great-swords. No problems there.

Javelins are a bit more problematic, as they would have to represent bows... The problem is that there are javelin rules in warhammer, so it's not 100% obvious to someone who doesn't know the army, so that's not good.

Edit: By the way, those spear models are AWESOME! I'd just load up on those cause they're so cool... and elven spears ROCK!

Those javelin models could make cool shadow warriors, but like I said, I'm not crazy about javelins representing bows. Maybe a conversion to cut off the javelin and glue a bow into their hands? They certainly don't look like rank-and-file infantry
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:47 pm

Javelins as Bows is a terrible idea.

The rest all works just fine.
WickerNipple

Postby mauleed » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:05 pm

I'm doing this as well, but with Romans instead of greeks.

And I agree, if you want bows, find models with bows.
mauleed

Postby Ring87 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:05 am

Thats what thought. I was originally thinking lizardmen rules. The Javilins as Skinks. Lizard+Spartans= >D Thanks, I need bow models how about these.
www.rackham-store.com/bou...g_us&num=9
Any, one know of others?

Also, I am thinking chariots as well. Even though Spartans never used them. Their city-state allies did.
Ring87

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:10 am

Those archers are great. (although the bows look like BOLT-THROWERS!!!!) :lol

DEFINATELY don't do humans as lizardmen. Same bad idea like javelins as bows. Humans have a well-known statline which greatly differes from a skink... and then you're going to use other human minis as saurus? So you're going from toughness 2 to 4 in the same model (which represents a toughness 3 race?) Bad idea.

But as high-elves, you're golden. If you REALLY want to go all out, use a bit of green-stuff to give the unhelmeted ones pointy ears. ;)

Of course, some of those minis have beards. I'm going to put beards on all my HE characters. :lol
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:39 am

I dunno about Golden... the same disconnect between established human stat lines and elven stat lines exists - mv5, init value, etc. Doing it with High Elves at least you're consistent w/ stat lines across the army, that's much better than saurus/skinks. But you're still certainly conflicting with folks normal assumption about human stats.

Is it a big deal? Not really.

I doubt Rackham's models are going to be in scale with the Crocodile games ones. Those archers would look like 7ft tall fire-breathing super heroes in comparison.

There's *tons* of archers out there in various ancient lines that would work with Spartans.
WickerNipple

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:57 am

Well, then you TOTALLY have to go with point ears from green stuff.. and stay away from facial hair. That will help
VectorAWX3

Postby Ring87 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:14 am

I was originally going to go for dogs of war list, i.e. Humans. However, the only way I could make the list work in theory was to use the DoW special character...
merchantprince.homestead....oLupo.html

I really need a stubborn unit to be the Spartans as they were virtually unmovable in History. If any one has any Ideas on how to make Pikemen stick I'm game. Lupo adds 1 to the CR, allows the pikes to take a banner(War) and takes 1 attack away from each model in base contacted. Add the paymaster and thats 8CR. Empire is out as its too hoardy(non-Spartan).

As far as the archers go I'll probably use other crocodile games archers. There site is down right now so no pics.

Humans have crap spear infantry. High Elves it is. M5 move through woods will make it hard to avoid the unit. Besides who scared of elven infantry.

Tangent.. rumour is that HE Spearmen will get heavy armor. Elite will get plate (ithumar?) as none carry shield.
Ring87

Postby Ring87 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:05 am

Ed, check this out.
www.remanlegions.com/
Ring87

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy