Effectively protecting a hellcannon

Moderator: Anger Worm

Effectively protecting a hellcannon

Postby subversive » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:09 am

Any tips for keeping one of these bad boys from having its crew killed and then being led around the table? I'm considering running one with my mortal chaos horde
subversive

Re: Effectively protecting a hellcannon

Postby -poxous » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:17 am

I'd say who cares. The lead the hellcannon around seems like an internet legend to me. Who has enough units to do this? People claim this is something easy to do but I beg to differ.

For me, I'd place the HC on a flank with some of my own fast cav( marauders or flesh hounds). Chaos fast cav will rule almost any other fast cav in the game. No other unit can bait the HC. Models on foot will get caught or catch S6 templates.

Remember the HC does more than just shoot. It is really nasty vs some people to press it forward. If they kill the crew you have the best spawn ever. No one wants to fight it in HtH. Normaly chaos is pressing the attack so shooting 6 times is very unlikely. HC is a nice VP denial weapon as well.
-poxous

Postby -Jarrett » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:51 pm

Between taking hellcannon panic shots on the way in, passing terror to charge it, and actually being able to kill all 3 of its crew, there arent many units that can do it to begin with.

To protect it simply stick it in between your units and/or in a wood, and intercept threats. Furies are very good at this, as are marauders as Todd said. Even a cheapo beast herd can serve this role.

Or accept that crew may die, throw it far away from the rest of your army where it's no threat to you, and if your opponent dedicates enough to kill the crew at least you know you've drawn off a good chunk of his army and he still hasn't gotten all the points for it
-Jarrett

Postby Larro » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:36 pm

I just faced this friggin thing today. So did Jarrett. The thing is pretty nasty, and leading it around is not as easy as anyone thinks it is. Better option is killing the Crew, but really only 18" and 20" movement units are good at this since your own Fast Cav or Furies will likely be beside it to protect it. Seeing it in action makes me think that against most opponents, especially in a tournament where the average person likely hasn't played against a Hellcannon, it is worth the hefty points cost.

- Larr
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Ring87 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:12 pm

Andy P uses it to good effect. He screened it with a beast herd. I sent dryads to deal with it(2 turns of shooting) they went through the screen and killed the 3 crew then died horribly. Still 96pts for 180pts?(half), he had the scroll, + the herd is a good trade for that thing not firing. The reroll really hurts.

In retospect I thought wildriders might have been better but I think he gets an auto 2 rounds to shoot beause of the herd. Hellcannon+Eternal guard=sqishy Elves

I just hope I don't run into to any at the Colonial:
It's great for foot-slogging chaos.
Ring87

Postby AndyP » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:43 pm

Protecting a hellcannon: don't

The most powerful thing about a hellcannon is the "oh feck, what am I going to do about that?" reaction you get from your opponent.

Keep it visible during deployment, ponder where you are going to put it down, then place something else. Let your opponent worry about it. The chances are that if they're inexperienced they'll go making mistakes just worrying about the cannon, allowing you to exploit those mistakes with the rest of your force.

Once battle has started, don't rely on the hellcannon to do anything other than be unpredictable. Therein lies the power.

Follow the golden rule and you will be safe: keep a cheap unit nearer to the cannon than any of your important units, just in case.

Andy P
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Postby subversive » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:20 am

On a related note, since a hellcannon can fight, does it get lined up with the crew if charged
subversive

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:24 am

Maximize number of models, right? Same way a lone salamander and three skink handlers. So if you hit it with a wide enough units, everyone fights. If you hit it with a lone character (jagosaur or dude on pegasus) you'd put it on the corner of the attacking model while you load up as many dwarves (2) against the model as you can
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -poxous » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:30 am

Don't drawn me at the colonial then :P

Since the nerf cards are in play I can not use my Brets like I had planned so I guess I'll be running chaos, again, and I have a sweet model I made for a hellcannon.

It's that or I go Ed style and RAF invade the colonial just to be 'that guy'.
-poxous

Postby subversive » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:19 am

Ah, nm, answered my own question. The warmachine rules don't allow for a warmachine to "fight" in close combat. The crew lines up in front. The Hellcannon has a special rule that supercedes that: the crew lines up on either side
subversive

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy