Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: Does the Helstorm require LOS??

Postby jchrisobrien » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:58 am

fortunately, I am a friendly drunk!
"Play the game!" --KevinC
jchrisobrien

Postby -John Bianchi » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:04 am

Do you know why Hitler's friends woudn't let him drink?

Because he was a mean drunk.

Yes - a dumb joke, but I laughed when I first heard it.

But back to the discussion.

I had a friend bring a unit of English knights pursue a broken unit of commune spearmen, and he ended plunk flank-on to one of my cannon. I guessed 1 inch, though he was 10 inches away - I rolled an 8. On the bounce, I rolled a 10.

I cut through his entire rear rank, killing five knights, and then I hit a second unit behind, killing a hero in the front rank, who failed his LOS roll, along with two other knights.

This was a damn near perfect set up, and a real fluke in that I gained a benefit from underguessing. He was mad as hell, but he knew how lucky this was. He's a great guy to play - Lou Cencenitis - so he gave me the score I deserved.

Another time, I put a DOW cannon shot through a bone giant, caused a whopping 2 wounds (LOUSY DOW cannon). I guessed 18" and rolled a 4, which put the shot down right on top of the bone giant. The bounce was 10, and I hit a liche priest or whatever that was directly behind him. My opponent tried to argue I was nowhere near right on drawing the line through the giant, then tried to argue that the giant would have stopped the ball, and then tried to say I intentionally overguessed. I had no reason to expect I'd even hit the thing, so I just let him go on.

After he finally accepted the hit would have happened, I rolled and caused ONE wound on the stupid mage (LOUSY DOW cannon). I eventually killed the mage with a lowly level one, who charged him on foot and got lucky, and I killed the Giant with a unit of frenzied Norse that he failed to account for when he got near my line.

Afterwards, I heard him say I overguessed, but it had no impact on the game, and I suppose his reaction was purely subjective. Fact is, I hit the target I was aiming at and got a long bounce. That happens. And what was a bigger problem at that point? the Bone giant, or the lesser of two mages?

If you are a perfect guesser, then you suddenly make a guess that allows the ball to sail over the target and hit a general using average rolls - then that's clearly overguessing.
-John Bianchi

Postby -Jarrett » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:32 am

New tactic: the bad guesser strategy!
-Jarrett

Postby subversive » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:44 am

hah! purposely guess way off until that clutch opportunity presents itself to over/underguess.
subversive

Postby -Ganymede0425 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:24 am

[quote]"I would ding you for sportsmanship doing something that GW lets you do."

You would? [/quote]

GW let's us take Morghur and/or twelve chariots.
-Ganymede0425

Postby -bigALtheBRUTE » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:57 am

Quote:
If you're not a friendly drunk, DON'T get drunk at a tourney where you're playing people you don't know.

Amen!

I would over guess so that my cannon ball hits my opponent :lol
I just don't go after heroes in the shooting phase unless they are large, or out in the open where this discussion wouldn't take place. I like stone throwers better than cannons anyways
-bigALtheBRUTE

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:57 am

Quote:
I would over guess so that my cannon ball hits my opponent
:lol Awesome! You should carry around marble-sized metal BB's and peg the guy in the nuts every time you hit him
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby slann » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:34 am

talking about cannons , there is a gw sculpter that lost his hand too a cannon.
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Postby -bigALtheBRUTE » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:11 pm

:lol I know, one of the perry brothers, nice guys but an unfortunate accident.
Next modeling project for big al: create an empire artillary army that actually shoots projectiles, like gummy bears or something
-bigALtheBRUTE

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:21 pm

I'm a bit ahead of you on that... I just found out that my cousin's wife works for a company which does adverts for these WORKING hand-made wooden mini ballistae and trebuchets. She seems my minis this weekend and asks me which I would rather have. "Well BOTH!!!! DUH!!!!!" I'll post pics when I get them. :D
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy