Meltdown Report - Chaos Mortals - Complete

Moderator: Anger Worm

Meltdown Report - Chaos Mortals - Complete

Postby AndyP » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Merseyside Meltdown Report

Following my brief break from the chaos last month, I was keen to try out my slightly modified list at the Meltdown. Basically, I dropped the underperforming (and over-targeted) chosen knights and bought some minotaurs and marauder cavalry with the points I saved. My 2250 all-undivided list was:

Mr Choppy, the chaos lord
Ms Wavy, the aspiring BSB
Ms Casty, the sorceress

15 Chaos Warriors
11 Chosen Warriors
2 Warrior Chariots
5 Warhounds
5 Marauder Cavalry
2x 5/5 Beastherds
5 Furies
4 Minotaurs
The Fecking Hellcannon

GAME ONE Vs Bens Skaven
After shooting my mouth off on the forums, I got what I deserved and Ben C grudged me for the first game of the tournament and my first game against Ben. As should be the case with chaos against skaven, this game was very much a match up of quality of troops vs quantity of troops. Ben had a warlord, bsb and the twins, 4 units each of clanrats (two rattlers, one warpfire) and slaves, stormvermin, two units of tunnelers, two units of night runners, two units of globadiers and two warp lightning cannon.

I set up with a strong flank, hoping to batter my way through that bit, whilst my diverters and hellcannon delayed the other half of the skaven army. Things got off to a great start when the hellcannon scored a hit on the stormvermin and the warlord failed his lookoutsir roll. He was about to become a very flat rat when his regeneration save kicked in and he escaped unharmed (Drat!). Surprisingly few of the stormvermin got hurt either. Ben moved that unit behind a hill pronto pronto.

With great use of slaves and a fine eye for charge-distance judging, Ben started an excellent delaying game against my strong flank, meaning I had to advance more cautiously than I would have liked to. Meanwhile, my own delaying game was falling to pieces. I stupidly put the marauder cav too close to a ratling gun. Their death also panicked a beastherd who were (stupidly) too far from Mr Choppy.

Ah well, said I, at least I have the hellcannon to make things awkward for the horde of rats who could now advance unopposed to attack my flank. A perfect guess and roll of a hit landed a shot right in the dead centre of a 25-strong clanrat unit. Im sure many rats would have died if it hadnt also been for the misfire I rolled at the same time. The cannon promptly ate all its crew (Double Drat!) and started a short-lived rampage ended by a single shot from a warplightning cannon who was very pleased that the cannon had rampaged into range.

From this point on, I was really struggling to stop the rats from swamping me, having to sacrifice the minotaurs to save the warriors (including BSB and Lord). I was only delaying the inevitable though and Ben put me in a very tough situation. I told him he wasnt my type and got on with the game. My big unit was surrounded on three sides by skaven. I could charge any one of them, but then the others would just flank or rear-charge me. If I shuffled and waited, the other rat units would have me absolutely surrounded.

Figuring slaves in the rear and clanrats in the flank was the least of the evils I faced, I charged the stormvermin (with BSB, but sans warlord (he went minotaur hunting)) who naturally fled to rally in safety at the back of the table. The resulting flank charge from the clanrats (Ben decided that slaves in the rear might actually give away more combat resolution) saw me lose combat by one point, fail the Ld 8 break test with re-roll and then have Ben roll exactly the distance needed to catch me (Triple Drat!)*. After this, I went a bit to pieces, doing a suicide charge on a clanrat unit to finish off a warlock, but forgetting to target the warlock. The resultant pursuit move by the rats gave them a flank charge on my lonely chosen warriors (with wizard) who were subsequently run down too.

* I think this may have been Karma, as I did a tactical wheel on a warpfire thrower with a chariot, in order to overrun into a ratling gun behind. I thought that Karma didnt count when it came to ratling guns?

During and immediately after the game, I thought I was a victim of some bad luck, but now Im not so sure. Yes, bad things did happen to me, but a lot of them were the result of me not planning for them, or worse, they happened because I let them happen. Ben made no such mistakes and was canny enough to capitalise on mine thats why he left the game with 26 points and I left with 6.

Despite the loss though, it was a very enjoyable game, possibly my favourite of the weekend. Theres noting I enjoy more than setting up charge-countercharge situations with blocks of troops. Im glad Ben answered my challenge.
:rolleyes
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Re: Meltdown Report - Chaos Mortals - Complete

Postby AndyP » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:13 am

GAME TWO Vs James Chaos Mortals Capture Mission

James had a very fast, very hitty chaos force. Led by a level 4 undivided daemon prince, the only other character was a level 2 bray shaman. Troop-wise James had two units of four khorne knights, two khorne chariots, one tzeentch chariot, two units of hounds, two minimum beastherds, five screamers, two slaaneshi spawn and a huge cloud of thirteen furies.

With little terrain on the centre and western parts of the battlefield, we both deployed most of our troops there. With such sparse terrain, there wasnt really any useful place that James could deploy his prince without it being a target for the hellcannon, so he took the courageous option and placed him directly opposite, ready to lend leadership to his army where necessary.

Apparently fortune does not favour the brave, as the daemon prince didnt even get to turn one. Thats right, the fecking hellcannon did him for four wounds in my first shot. The next turn it flattened three of James knights. Things werent going well for James in other parts of the battlefield either. His fleeing Tzeentch chariot ran over the bray shaman in my second turn and killed him too. I dont think the chariot rallied either.

Without his character support and down a unit of knights and a chariot, I had a serious unit-advantage over James my hard units could charge and kill one of his immune-to-psychology units, then flee from the frenzied counter-charge letting another of my hard units do the next killing. It didnt help matters for James that his dice not only hated him, they wanted him dead. For example, his khornate chariot charged my undivided chariot, only to lose combat and be run down.

In another example, the remaining unit of knights along with the other khornate chariot crashed into my chosen unit with lord. From seven impact hits, only a single chaos warrior fell. The knights didnt do much better either. The chariot died to my strength 7 attacks back, whilst the knights fled, never to rally. With all these misfortunes, there was nothing James could really do his army just fell apart and my army was there to sweep up the pieces. I didnt play particularly well and James didnt play badly, we were both just witnesses to the warhammer equivalent of a multi-car pileup. James took it all with a smile and a shrug earning himself extra sportsmanship points for being able to do what I never can.
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Postby -Jarrett » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:47 am

Quite a swing. Great example of why I'm terrified when I roll a very good game. I know karma is just winding its leg back for a swift kick to the Johnson. Almost makes you want to play undead, almost
-Jarrett

Postby AndyP » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:00 pm

GAME THREE Vs Rob Ls Beasts Take Ground Scenario

I seem to have got into a habit lately of bumping into top-table players whilst Im innocently swimming around the middle tables minding my own business. Ah well, at least I was in for a kicking against a lovely army (Rob easily got my vote for best army). Despite attending a multitude of events over the years, Rob and I have never played (usually due to the difference in table position) so it was a pleasure to finally get to face off against the forces of Baalor.

Rob had a beastlord on chariot, backed up by 3 level 2 death casters. Everything else seemed to come in fours: there were four beast herds (around 20 strong in each), four more chariots, four units of centigors and four dragon ogres. Despite us setting up the terrain in a sensible manner, the vagaries of the scatter dice ensured that we had nothing but a solid line of woods or difficult terrain stretching almost from one short table edge to the other, about 16 from one players side.

Thankfully I won the roll-off for table edge and was able to choose the opposite side had I been stuck on the terrain-side it would have been a very short game indeed. With no way to predict where Robs main attack would come from, I set up my main units slightly to one flank with my chariots working to dissuade any beastherds from advancing from the other flank too quickly.

The first couple of turns, were all about manoeuvring for position and setting up our respective attack and counter-attacks. I must admit that the sight of the Baalor beasts emerging from the tree-line looked very cool, especially as the terrain happened to have a similar colour scheme to Robs bases. I could just imagine my chaos lord shouting at his troops to hold the line until the beasts were in a position where an attack could be made. Being drawn into the terrain would have been suicide.

Around turns three and four, all the action exploded into the game. A frenzied centigor unit charged into my minotaurs, another unit and a tuskgor chariot joined in the fun. Im not sure if the frenzy forced Robs hand or if he had always intended to charge but this one combat set off a chain of events that rippled across the battlefield. The combined charge saw the minotaurs absolutely wiped out, with the two centigor units hitting the non-chosen warriors behind and the chariot continuing on to wipe out my hound unit.

One centigor unit was wiped out by a countering chariot charge and the other centigor unit must have tired themselves out on the minotaurs as they rolled very poorly against the warriors. My pursuit moves sent the chariot into the tress (which it survived) and the warriors away from all Robs hard hitters, but dangerously close to the woods and the beastherds within.

On my tough flank, the marauder cavalry sacrificed themselves to force the beastlord to charge them and overrun into my chosen warriors with lord, behind (he had the black maul, so was frenzied). Despite killing five warriors with impact hits, my lord soaked up the beastlord attacks in a challenge and smashed his chariot up good with the slaughterers blade.* The beastlord broke and I hurriedly rolled the dice to run him down. Doh! It was never my intention to chase after him, as this put me right into a beastherd/chariot/dragon ogre sandwich. To make matters worse, I didnt even catch the beastlord. Thats what happens when you get too excited during a game of warhammer.

* I counted up the extra wounds I had caused on the chariot as overkill, but it appears that there appears to be some controversy on the issue (see warhammer.org.uk/PhP/view...hp?t=26057 ). I dont think it would have made much difference to the combat either way, as I think Rob rolled high for his break test, but I cant be sure.

Left with no choice, I had to flee from the revenge charge. The beastlord rallied just in time to watch with glee as my chosen warriors and chaos lord were ground beneath the wheels of the avenging chariot. The beastlord then spent the rest of the game calmly standing around as hellcannon shots rained down around him (I think one even hit him, but rolled a one to wound).

A beastherd took out my chariot stuck in the woods and pursued into the rear of my regular warrior unit. Heavy armour and some good rolling by me saw me through however and the warriors (with a little help from their war banner) broke the herd, allowing them to flee a dragon ogre charge in Robs last turn and rally in safety. The game ended with my BSB bravely taking on a beastherd single handedly over around four turns the combat swung to and fro, with neither side even thinking of breaking.

Despite my expensive losses from the chosen unit, I had managed to rack up a few points here and there against Rob (a few chariots, two of the mages, two herds, the centigor) and the rallied warriors (combined with a failed rally from the herd they had broken) were able to give me a table quarter too. We finished up with Rob around 500 victory points in the lead, giving me 13 out of 32 tournament points. Obviously it was a stupid mistake that cost me a lot of points in this game (although whos to say that my unit wouldnt have died anyway), but I cant really complain about being over-excited. I think when I stop getting excited in games, then its probably time to stop playing warhammer.
AndyP

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:39 pm

:lol Sounds like it was fun!
WickerNipple

Postby AndyP » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:45 pm

GAME FOUR Vs Rob Ds Lizardmen Easter Egg Hunt Scenario

Bobs not my uncle, but we do seem to bump into each other a lot at tournaments. Being club mates too, we tend to play each other quite often. We managed to swap opponents at the Slaughter, but this time (as it was Sunday) we had to face off once again. Rob had a 4th Gen Slann, Skinky priest, Jaguar Scar Vet and Slower Sacr Vet. His list had three units of regular skinks and one unit of scouting skinks, kroxigor, saurus cavalry, two units of terradons, 3 salamanders and a stegadon.

Assuming Robs list was the same as last time we played, I deployed all my characters in the regular warrior unit behind a hill, so they couldnt be bane head sniped by the slann in the first turn. After Rob had nominated my BSB as the target I was able to march the unit forward and leave the BSB hiding behind the hill for safety, with little chance of getting any spells off, the wizard kept her company.

I made a terrible mistake during deployment, stringing out both of my beastherds in front of my expensive troops. There was no need to do this, as everything of Robs that was in range of my troops was also a large target and could blast the warriors if they so chose anyway. Of course, I was punished by the dice gods for my mistake. In Robs first turn a fireball-equivalent killed a few ungor, who failed their Ld 9 panic test. The herd then ran through four units that were perilously close to the board edge thankfully they all passed their tests! In Robs shooting phase, the scouting skinks then did three wounds on the other herd, who also failed their Ld 9 panic test and ran through two more units. Again I passed my panic checks, but I had lost two turns of movement on both of my beastherds. These guys were vital to my plans for clearing out skinks. I knew everything from here on was going to be hard work.

Forced to do something to stop my blocks from being marchblocked for ever more, I charged the hounds and furies into the scouting skinks, running them down and carrying on into the salamanders (plus slow scar vet), fast scar vet and a unit of skinks. It was the last I saw of both of my units, but I needed to kill those scouts and I also needed to stall Robs envelopment troops for a turn.

Rob sent one unit of terradons to go bait the hellcannon (and hopefully kill the crew). The cannon rampaged after the flapping dinosaurs, losing two of its crew, and breaking the terradons. The following turn the cannon rampaged again into the survivors, killing them both and keeping the sole crewdwarf alive just long enough for the cannon to eat him in its next shooting phase. For the rest of the game, the cannon rampaged about out of harms way behind a wood until the very last turn when it terror-scared the skink priest.

The other unit of terradons got tried of taunting the chariots and pounced on my lone wizard who I had conveniently moved into range and line of sight. Boy, was I making mistakes in this game. I thought that the wizard probably had a good chance of holding (which would then allow the BSB to ride to the rescue) but decided not to risk it and fled anyway. Three ones later and the wizard was dead and the terradons enemy-in-the-wayed into the BSB. Thankfully the BSB was still well psyched-up from fighting the beastherd last game and gave the terradons a good kicking. She didnt catch the lizards, but they didnt rally and they left the board. With the Jaguar saurus now hanging around behind my lines, the BSB decided to risk the Slanns magic and joined the regular warriors.

My minotaurs got an opportunity when the saurus cavalry failed a stupidity test* and stumbled into some skinks in front of them. I sent in the minotaurs knowing that they would be killed by the kroxigor counter charge, but at least I would get a swing at the sauri first. As expected, the minos tore through the skinks and managed to kill three of the five saurus cavalry before the kroxigor ripped them apart. In exchange, a chariot caused the saurus cavalry to flee and the chosen warriors sent the kroxigor fleeing. Sadly, both of these lizardmen units rallied before leaving the table.

* Well, we think they failed. Rob rolled his dice and got a lot of pips on the dice. He declared, Theyve failed and scooped up his dice. Then we had doubts about what the number rolled was (I couldnt even recall). Ever the sportsman, Rob stated that as he had called it a fail then thats how it should stay.

In the centre, the regular warriors with lord and BSB started a slow slog towards the Slann, slow scar vet, salamanders and stegadon. With my sorceress dead and a unit of skinks holding the objective egg (giving an extra two power dice to Rob) the lizardmen magic and shooting phase was not pretty. Chaos warriors started dropping like flies. The BSB had had enough, she spurred her chaos steed and crashed into the salamander pack with scar vet.

With the scar vet too scared to answer a challenge, the BSB finished off a wounded salamander and avoided the return attacks of another. Next round the scar vet decided she didnt look so tough and answered the challenge. Two wounds later and the BSB had won another round of combat, but the sallies held. This was all the chaos warriors needed though, and they joined in the fight, breaking the salamanders and pursuing into the skinks holding the objective. The BSB was able to chase down the sallies, but died from a Slann barrage for her troubles.

In the last turn, Rob moved the Slann away from the chaos warriors smacking seven shades of crap out of the skinks that had been marchblocking them for so long. The speedy scar vet took out a chariot, but died from the impact hits of the buddy chariot.

Whew! A very tough game, not helped by the mistakes I made at the start. Despite his hangover, Rob played very well, really pushing my army and sending me into my usual doom-and-gloomyness. As often happens though, it wasnt as bad as I thought it was. When we added it all up, Rob had killed more of my army than I of his, but the objective gave me enough points to finish a couple of victory points in the lead. 17-15 to me.
AndyP

Postby -Jarrett » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:08 am

Reading the way that one started I didn't think you'd come out on top. Nice
-Jarrett

Postby AndyP » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:53 am

Quote:
Reading the way that one started I didn't think you'd come out on top. Nice!

I certainly didn't think I stood much chance, but then I have to get all miserable, or I never achieve anything. Confidence just doesn't work for me. :)

Andy P
AndyP

Postby AndyP » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:32 pm

GAME FIVE Vs Steves Bretonnians

Another opponent that Id known for ages, but had never actually played. This was also going to be the first time that I play Brets with my Chaos army. I reckoned it was going to be a close one. Steve had a duke, bsb and damsel in a lance of grail knights, a paladin and damsel in a lance of questing knights, a large lance of errants, a small lance of errants, medium lance of questers and a small unit of pegasi as his knightly contingent. They were backed up by two units of mounted yeomen, some skirmishing archers and a unit of 18 men at arms.

Winning choice of table side again, I deployed so as to force the majority of Steves knights to have to bottleneck between two pieces of scenery, whilst anything that wanted to go round the woods on the Western flank would have to risk hellcannon attention. With first turn (thanks to Steve praying) as well, I was able to run my marauder cavalry up to start annoying the Bret lances heading my way. It was imperative that I break up the charges.

The hellcannons first shot was pretty good, hitting the near corner of the character-laden grails. Steves lord was hit on a partial and failed his lookoutsir roll and his ward save and took 5 wounds. Ouch. As Steve was about to remove the model he realised that it was actually his BSB and not his lord who had been hit. Due to the leadership of the lord now being available instead, the mounted yeomen standing in front of the grails passed their leadership test from the large template (they rolled a nine). They were to become important later on.

Steve did some initial shuffling and rearrangements for his first turn, but nothing really of note happened. Knowing the range to the grails, the hellcannon fired again, but misfired and wounded all the magic users on the field. My furies saw off the second unit of mounted yeomen who (along with the small grails) were running the gauntlet between the woods and the hellcannon.

In his second turn, Steve unleased his first wave. The questers smashed into the front of my regular warriors (with lord), the small errants went on a suicide run to kill the hellcannon crew, the three mounted yeomen from the centre charged the flank of one of my chariots* and the grails charged my marauder horsemen.

* Who, along with the minotaurs and hounds, was trying to nail the knights of the realm

The questers fought first, and only managed to kill the chaos warrior champion. Obviously, they were suffering from serious rubber lance syndrome. In retaliation the chaos warriors watched (and took notes) as the chaos lord hacked down five knights from his five attacks. The questers ran for the hills, safe in the knowledge that I couldnt pursue as that would expose my flank to the grails who were about to butcher the marauder cavalry.

In an unexpected bonus of breaking the questers, the Pegasus knights (who had been watching the fight from behind my lines) panicked away to land behind the knights errant who were fighting the hellcannon. By the time the cannon had finished chewing through the young knights, the Pegasus knights had rallied and tasted lovely with a nice bottle of merlot.

As predicted, the grails and duke destroyed the marauder cavalry, but declined to overrun into my regular warriors, as they would be exposed to my BSB and chosen warriors hitting them in the flank in my turn. The three mounted yeomen that went into the side of my chariot managed to cause a wound, but lost one in return, meaning a tied combat. In my third turn, I moved my unengaged chariot to block the movement of the grails and angled so that if they charged, their move would sandwich them nicely between the regular warriors and the chosen.

Instead, Steve charged his large units of errants into the chariot, breaking it (the chariot escaped) and pursuing into the chosen warriors. This allowed me to rear-charge them with my regular warriors and actually manage to catch them when they broke from combat. Meanwhile, an unruly beastherd threw itself at the front of the ranked unit of peasants. The herd broke and both units ended up inside the large forest doing nothing for the rest of the game.

During the turn that my chariot was setting up in front of the grails, the other chariot was failing spectacularly to kill the two mounted yeomen that were still fighting it. In his turn, Steve realised that he could just charge his realm knights straight through my hounds and enemy-in-the-way or overrun into the stuck chariot and then pursue or overrun out of the charge arc of the minotaurs. He did so. There was one slight problem the chariot refused to die. It took one wound from the charging lance and caused three back. Of course such heroics were followed by the chariot passing its break test. With glee, I sent the minotaurs into the flank of the realms, breaking them and running them down.

In order to: 1. extricate himself from the chaos units that were now completely surrounding him and 2. get some revenge; the duke led his grails in a break out charge straight through the minotaurs. At that point (4 turns each) we had to call it a day, as the time was up. Because of the complicated movement and action that was happening from turn one, we had run out of time. Still, it was a very enjoyable game, even if I did seem to be getting more than a bit of my own fair share of the luck. I ended up with 20 points (around 600 victory points.

SUMMARY
So, four very enjoyable and close games and one game where there wasnt much either player could have done (again, no slur on James here the dice just ran away with this game). I made some big mistakes during the event and probably shouldnt have scored quite so many gaming points as I did, but fate conspired to keep me with my usual minor win average.

Im glad I took the time to write this report, as immediately after the tournament I was feeling a bit meh about the whole thing and warhammer in general. I think this was also reflected in my sports score, where I must have upset somebody slightly with the bad mood I was in*. Now Ive written this report though, I can see in hindsight that the games were actually fun and close. Obviously the social aspects of this tourney were excellent and, as has been stated elsewhere, the venue was brilliant.

* It had been a very hard and stressful week at work, combined with some personal issues meant that I wasnt exactly in the best of mindsets for a weekend of fun.

THE FUTURE

Thinking about how my army performed, Im tempted to make a change or two. My current magic setup has been a bit lacklustre. Im happy with the level of magic defence and Im not unhappy with 6 casting dice the problem is that Im not getting enough choice in my spells to do anything useful with those 6 dice. It would be interesting to add another level 2 back into my army. Alternatively, I quite fancy a more mobile fighty hero. Well have to see. Im also thinking that perhaps my army could do with another fighty block. Two tough blocks and two softer units would make a good battleline, I feel.

Of course, such things dont come cheap and something would have to go. Right now, Im thinking that the hellcannon should take a hiatus. Its such an attention-grabbing unit that it can dominate games, which is never a good thing to have as a constant in your list, unless it is a major thematic unit. Visually, Ill miss the centrepiece but I dont want to become know as Hellcannon Boy. Im sure it will make a return at some point though.

And one final message, to all those who say that chaos warriors dont work:

Screw you, screw you all.

Andy P
AndyP

Postby -the black prince » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:12 pm

Thanks andy, very cool. Funny, i was just checking out rob lane's site! :D :D
-the black prince

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy