Sportsmanship question?

Moderator: Anger Worm

Sportsmanship question?

Postby Ring87 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:19 pm

Game 3, Maurader GT vs Adam Steel. A close game turn 6 comes around I strangle root some minatuars claim some quarters. Judge calls time, Says we have to end now that their locking the doors in 5 miniutes. I ask the Judge if Adam can have his last turn and he (Grumgore, I think he is Adams friend and clubmate) says no. Time is called now. So Adam pleads to allow him to go. I didn't know what to do. This has happen to me before. I didn't stall or do anything to slow the game and this is a competition. So, I said no as I wanted to pack up and not leave my mini's. We tally points and I win by over 300pts. If he would have got to go It might have been a draw. He is pissed and I explain to him that something like this has happen to me in the past and I felt bad.

So later I am surfing and go to thier site I find out not only did he ding my sports(I can deal with that I guess) but he says I tallied my points wrong(cheated) and he ding my comp too. Now I got max comp and good sports scores from all my other opponents and 1 favorite I think.(ps I didn't ding him at all and I didn't cheat)

I guess I was a dick that one game. What do you think you would do; would you have let him go?

Other than that one game I had a great 1st GT. I learned some stuff as well. I think he got the wrong idea about me and got his revenge. Justice?
Ring87

Re: Sportsmanship question?

Postby -the black prince » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:17 pm

crap situation - i've been on the wrong end of that as well - but if the judge calls it then the judge calls it. If there was leeway (ie to ignore the judge) i would have done and let him play, but if there really was 5 mins left then not much you could have done. IMHO
-the black prince

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:27 pm

That was a total crap situation. I was almost the guy on the receiving end of thta kick-out situation. I played Geo and his wood elves, and spent 4 turns just trying to get to his lines with all my infantry. Meanwhile, he was shooting the crap out of me and delaying me. When I FINALLY got to his lines, the judges (not Mike, the other guy) called time and started yelling at us to get out of the hall. Geo let me speedhammer him one more turn (we only rolled the most important die rolls) and it was enough to take me from a loss to a win.

I don't know how your table looked, but you may have considered letting him roll some key rolls and making a couple of assumptions. Another option is to make a quick note of the battlefield, roll the dice after you left, then go back the next morning and tell the judges "we made a mistake... he should have gotten the win". It's shady (in a good way), but I would do it. (I'm known for shady maneuvers.) :p

I talked to Mike about the problem with that game 3, and he told me he would do everything in his power to prevent a repeat this year. Problem is that everyone is so keen on the 2250 point limit, when 2.5 hours is really a rush to complete a game when the two sides each have a good amount of horde and/or magic and/or shooting. My orcs felt rushed the whole time. and I would make plenty of moves faster than I would have liked. The new army and its 8 units don't have that problem. :x
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Sergrum » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:01 am

Wow, that sounds like a horrible spot to be in. I don't know if i could of actually said no. Like Nidal said if there were some key things you both KNEW were going to happen, you probably could of got those out of the way but you were by no means unjustified to say no.

Time limits can always be hazing and cause problems and bad feelings. A real dick move (in my opinion) some guy tried to do to my little brother... Bell rings for games to stop, only combat left is banshee vs like 25 zombies, it will auto die from combat rez but the guy wouldn't let it go. Still not sure if my brother got him to add the points but won anyways.

Obviously your situationw was a lot harder, but I mean what can you really? 2.5 hours is enough time in my opinion, but i think judges there should be a small leeway time at the end, espesically since some armies win it on turn 5-6. Just wondering, why did you have to "get out of the hall"?

Sergrum
Sergrum

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:27 am

It was at a venue which HAD to close at a specific time (soccer hall of fame) rather than a more lenient convention center/rental hall type place. I think that as the day wore on, 5 minutes late for something here and 10 minutes late for something there started adding up.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Sergrum » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:40 am

Ahh ok.

Well then I'm not sure. Upon reading the other guys report it reall depends on how everything wen down. The way in which he describes it (which is most likely leaned to make you seem horrible and is case justified) then you were being a dick. but I dont believe that that is how it went. Not much you can do now, execpt hope you don't have to make that decision in the future.

Sergrum
Sergrum

Postby Amazonwarlord » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:57 am

the only other solution , but I'm not sure if it would have helped, is to let the guy have his turn as you pack up the mini's you can. This does mean trusting him a little more and not worrying about every inch in mov't or counting every die roll but many of us are in the situation where it won't matter that much anyway. You and he then both feel like you had an equal chance.

If there are a lot still on the table though that won't help much
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby Ring87 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:33 am

Thanks for the comments. I really like Nidals out side the box Idea. WE should have left it set up and played the rest of turn next day in retrospect. At the point where I was undecided weather to say the rules are the rules thats it(I want to pack up my mini's) or super rush and possibly screw the game up more and piss the Judge off I was pushed by the Grumgore's comment to "stop now!" This guy was running a great tournament and I was having a good time I didnt piss him off. I think I handled it wrong but I think he did as well. I hope this type of thing doesnt happen again. I have gotten rid of my magic phase (3dice) so hopefully the game will go faster in the future. But honestly we played at a good speed.

I resent the fact that he embellished the story and added a "he didn't add his points right" and made me seem like a dick after I said I was sorry about the situation afterward. He even went as far as to change his sports from a yes to a no.

Now I came in 8th out of 66 with 26 out of 30 sportsmanship score and 23 out of 27 in comp. I wonder what would have happened if he didn't ding me or If he would have got to go. (I don't know if his turn would have changed anything but I'm sure he does).

Oh well its water under the bridge but I will probably see this guy again at the Colonial and the Marauder. What should I do if I play him again?
Ring87

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:23 am

Tell him exactly what you told us: that you were rushed by the judges and just did the best that you could under the not-so-good circumstances. I don't think losing 3 dice will make you finish in time under the same circumstance. Everyone was rushed, and the fault was with the timing of the third game. Don't stress it. If all else fails, punch him in the nuts! :p
VectorAWX3

Postby Ring87 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:54 am

Tangent.....Honestly Nidal the Spellweaver was a weak point in the list if you lose him thats it. To be honest the Wood Elves magic is not that hot IMO. So apart from the occasional Beast Cowers he performed no service accept as a glorified scroll caddy. I have some MR and a regular caddy and I have added a Highborn to make my large unit of Eternal guard core. He adds some much needed punch as I win in the combat phase. Without magic and shooting I hope to have added a weakness to balance out how good the army is in close combat. And it speeds up play and allows a little extra time for my manuvers in the movement phase where the Wood Elves dominate. I have also lost the hail of doom arrow which also weakens the list. I have added some new surprises to keep my opponents on their toes. I want to get a test tournament in before the Colonial to see how it works out. So far its seem to do as well as the previous list.

Dryads are there to screen and suck up some magic missiles and shooting. 96pts, t4, IMP.

Magic is fickle of course with your High Elves less so...but thats what magic flux is for:b
Ring87

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy