Sportsmanship question?

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: Sportsmanship question?

Postby subversive » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:11 am

That I was glad I wasn't in either position on the table. Granted, against other opponents Larry might be the greatest guy ever. Maybe it was just the matchup from hell that drove Larry to raise the volume of discussion steadily throughout the game to the point that he was practically yelling at some points (and you may not realize it Larry, but you were, or at least that's how I and at least two other people in my club remember it). Maybe he's Fonzie reincarnated under normal circumstances. But I walked away thinking "I hope I never have to play that guy."
subversive

Postby Bauhaus » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:23 am

Chess clocks are a bad idea mainly because there's nothing stopping your opponent from using up "your time". Regardless of whether they intend to or not, the game is not clearly my turn/your turn as it is in chess.

Larry, I think someone is trying to tell you that their game wasn't real pleasant. Being defensive and setting the record straight isn't really going to help your cause.... He didn't enjoy it. (So what, if in large part do to the fact he had done something really stupid in trying to flank/move after deployment.) Don't bother/don't worry.

By the way, GW does need to add a "march at the double rule" then you could actually set-up on one side and try to change the situation on turn 1.
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby subversive » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:44 am

That was one of the major concerns: if my opponent challenges every move I make and I let him take his turn in peace, I lose out in the chess clock equation
subversive

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:46 am

And the magic phase is also interactive. "Do I dispel, don't I dispel, do I dispel, don't I..."
-Jarrett

Postby mauleed » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:49 am

All of that would be covered by the chess clock rules.

For example, I cast, add it up, announce the total, then hit the clock if you don't say immediately you'll let it go or throw some dice at a dispel.

Same for someone that wants to dick around with armor saves.

But to counter that, we'd need exact rules on what has to be announced when you roll dice, and things like picking up misses, not hits, etc.

And rules debates would be an issue. Haven't figured that one out yet.
mauleed

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:03 am

Sounds really really unfun
-Jarrett

Postby mauleed » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:05 am

So does being slowhammered into having a 4 turn game.

Have you ever played speedchess? Rushing actually enhances the fun, if you're in the mood for it.
mauleed

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:13 am

I have Ed, and it works because chess moves are simple to execute and simple to resolve. Warhammer has a complicated movement phase where accuracy is paramount.

I've played fast games of Warhammer. I've also played games of Warhammer that, through no players fault, have just run long. I'd rather have the leeway to get everything clear and right than force players to do things faster and sloppier, which there's no denying this would do. I also think this would play into the hands of people who purposely rush the game or make their moves quickly and innacurately measure, count dice, process results, etc.

Really I think the problem isn't big or bad enough to implement this system, and create a whole new set of problems that come with it
-Jarrett

Postby mauleed » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:26 am

Well I'm too lazy to actually implement it anyway, so it's all just hot air.
mauleed

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:27 am

Shocking! :b
-Jarrett

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy