Sportsmanship question?

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: Sportsmanship question?

Postby subversive » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:53 am

It really comes down to whether making an already overly complex game MORE complex would make it work any better. In the end, while it might be a fun excercise (and good practice for some people who are inherently slow players), I don't see it benefiting the tournament scene at all
subversive

Postby Larro » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:28 am

Quote:
That I was glad I wasn't in either position on the table. Granted, against other opponents Larry might be the greatest guy ever. Maybe it was just the matchup from hell that drove Larry to raise the volume of discussion steadily throughout the game to the point that he was practically yelling at some points (and you may not realize it Larry, but you were, or at least that's how I and at least two other people in my club remember it).

1 - I'm a naturally loud talker, and when angered or excited, the volume goes up two-fold.

2 - The yelling you heard came at the end of the game - after Turn 6. Maybe it seemed like it was earlier than that because the game was over so quickly, since Nelson was abused, but it wasn't until the end of the game when I was counting points that the yelling happened. Nelson first accused me of cheating. I replied calmly, saying several times "okay, I'll recount the points, nice and slow for you." Several times. I don't care if you don't believe me, or if you listen to the biased opinions of those in your Club.

My track record in organized tournaments speaks for itself. The fact I've attained perfect Sports and Comp throughout the entire Baltimore GT and at the first NEWC WHFB tournament I attended 4 or 5 years ago. The fact that I have also achieved near-perfect at the Colonial and the NEWC last year, speaks louder than anything else. This is a large enough sample size of people who never met me. Moreover, during a game with a person I don't know, I am *NEVER* disrespectful. Even during the games with guys I do know, especially during tournaments, I am always on my best behavior. Jarrett, Todd, Rob, and even Alex (Sergrum) can attest to that.

However, try to insinuate I am cheating when I totally housed you and we will have problems. Ask Nelson. Saying I cheat insults not only my pride as a man, but backhandedly says I'm no good at WHFB, which was more than a little ironic coming from the guy who had a Blood Dragon on Zombie Dragon sitting on his display base, to get his opponents to THINK he fielded one when he really didn't.

Quote:
Maybe he's Fonzie reincarnated under normal circumstances. But I walked away thinking "I hope I never have to play that guy."

Never watched Happy Days much, so I don't get this first part. As for the 2nd remark, don't show up to NEWC if you don't want to play the very best. I'll be there again this year too, likely going 3-0. I'm sure if you draw straws and end up paired with me, since it's NEWC, we can switch it. However, I'm sure our game would be extremely enjoyable, and I think it unfair to judge me based on my interraction with an incompetent asshole, albeit one who was at the time, part of your Club.

- Larr
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:35 am

Quote:
and things like picking up misses, not hits,

I thought it was "best" form to pick up your misses and leave the hits on the table for your opponent to see
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby mauleed » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:51 am

It is Leah, but a good chunk of people aren't aware of it.
mauleed

Postby subversive » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:41 am

well, I'll go on the assumption that it was an anomoly and hope that if I ever get to play you it does indeed turn out to be a great game. Apparently I'm being told in no uncertain terms that I need to get my ass out there on a thursday night, so it may happen sooner rather than later, assuming you're around
subversive

Postby -gjnoronh » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:05 am

From Larry:

Quote:
Baltimore was slightly better, 3 of the 5 being OK. The first guy I played was awesome (forgot his name I think he's from Queens),

That's very kind of you man. That was me from Baltimore (though grew up in Upstate) blue and red undivided chaos mortals with a marauder giant conversion with tentacles.

You cleaned my clock but I had a good time playing the game. I'm still in shock about how much of a beating you hung on me (I had ONE model left when we called it. . . .)

On topic I'd much rather play with some sort of time system - i've had my infantry close combat daemons slow hammered (three turns only played on more than one occasion. . . )

Gary N
-gjnoronh

Postby Larro » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:27 pm

Gary man, I totally forgot you post here. Good to hear from you. What I said was totally true, you really were one of my most enjoyable opponents ever. You had a wonderfully painted army and you were as friendly as could be, what more could I ask for. You planning on attending any other tournaments? I know the Colonial is only in New Jersey, not so bad. Closer than Baltimore, that's for sure.

And yeah, being slow-hammered is the primary reason I favored the timer, only because I've seen it happen a few times - sometimes on purpose, sometimes because of poorly run tournaments with lousy time constraints. It just isn't fun for anyone when it happens.

Again, good to hear from you. Hope to see you around in the future.

- Larr
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby -gjnoronh » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:57 am

Larry I had a very good time as well playing you I'm more of a lurker looking for tourney info here.

I'll do Baltimore, Colonial and the Marauder - because roadtripping is cheap.

Necro, Chicago etc are less likely as I'm not sure the travel costs are justifiable (If I'm dropping that amount of cash on gaming I should be buying more toys. . . )

gary
-gjnoronh

Previous

Return to Warhammer Fantasy