Taking out Skirmishers

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: Taking out Skirmishers

Postby -poxous » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:12 am

Presonaly I think of most war machines as free points for your opponent.
-poxous

Postby Sergrum » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:34 am

Although many times warmachines don't last the whole game, i feel they provide a lot for opponents to worry about. Whether or not your 2 cannons kill that giant, it at least made it hide him behind some trees!

I think the psycological effect of some units/items have on opponents makes for very useful tools.

Sergrum
Sergrum

Postby -Jarrett » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:32 am

Todd, for Vampire Counts and Bretonnians war machines ARE points for the opponent.

For Empire and Dwarfs, they're absolutely necessary
-Jarrett

Postby -poxous » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:53 am

To a degree. I don't see what war machines do to win the game that more troops don't.

When I see dwarves with machinces...I win.

Dwarves w/o em is a far tougher fight because I don't get spotted 300+ pts.

Same with empire.

1-2 cannons is ok but I have NEVER lost 200pts worth of anything, black coach aside, to cannons. The points are not there.

Now something like gyrocopter is very nice.
-poxous

Postby Sergrum » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:37 pm

As i said before, scare people. If the enemy has 2 cannons are you going to stick your giant right infront of them? Probably not, you'll probably do your best to try and hide it.

Now lets say that person didn't have 2 cannons, well you'd be more willing to put that giant where you want.

All im saying is that opponents react to warmachines, just like they do to a jsod, huanchi banner, griffon standard, etc, and when they react it can change the game.

Plus warmachines do kill stuff at times, Ask Bdickj's daemon prince how the SSC shot felt turn 2.

Personally i'm looking to put in 2 trebs into my brett army to scare/deal with big monsters. That and i like guessing ranges.

Sergrum
Sergrum

Postby -TheRooster101 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:13 pm

War machines will never win you the battle or any army that had the best would dominate all other armies. They are a tool that if used effectively can force your opponent to do what you want them to do. Either forcing them to hide units, focus on your war machines too much, or change their strategy to counter them.

I agree about getting into close combat with skirmishers, but for my stunty little dwarf legs it can sometimes be an issue. Sometimes I need to give my enemy an incentive to get into combat with me. However, I think a cannon is over kill, but a nice organ gun or shower of xbows might just do the trick.
-TheRooster101

Postby -Jarrett » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:00 am

Vampire counts and Bretonnians are also amongst the least affected by war machines. VC raise their casualties and are immune to psych, Brets have great armor and invulnerable saves, and are on you turn 2. Cannonball bounce through a unit of knights? No sorry, the first guy made his ward.

VS chariots and flying monsters, cannons are invaluable, especially for an army with no alternatives like Empire.

I agree that war machine heavy armies are very frail, but as supplemental units they're excellent. Dwarfs can do 2 strength 7, BS 4 bolt throwers for only 170. I still fit 6 solid blocks afterwards.

Tomb kings get the catapult. Let's not even get into how nasty that single machine is.
-Jarrett

Postby Sergrum » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:06 am

The cannonball example would work for BTs but not a cannon, It doesn't go though a guy to the next... it simply hits them all. So it could hit 3 knights in a line and only kill the one at the back.

Sergrum
Sergrum

Postby -Jarrett » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:16 am

Oh yeah, template!
-Jarrett

Postby -John Bianchi » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:45 am

Hell -

I'm planning on using three or four of them as widely dispersed weapons, and I'm happy to give up a couple of hundred points if those warmachines cause you any worry at all. If you're using resources in going after them to pick up the points, I've succeed in baiting you into wasting resources and time.

If you don't go after them, I can mortar and cannon you. And if anyone fields infantry, I will likely more than make my points back with the mortars. So bring on them elves and gobbos and humans.

I tell you, Its great to be playing again. :D
-John Bianchi

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy