To slay a dragon...

Moderator: Anger Worm

To slay a dragon...

Postby -veritas117 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:06 pm

How does a Bretonnian player go about killing a chaos dragon, in the most efficient way possible? I figure a few ways, but what suggestions can the mongers offer? My only lucky time has been with a trebuchet scattering onto it, but it's a campaign, and I'm going to be facing this guy alot...

Unfortunately, most battles will probably be me with 1800 and him with 2000, so he'll get the lord on dragon and I'll get a piddly paladin.
-veritas117

Re: To slay a dragon...

Postby -poxous » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:16 pm

My new bret lord combo is:

GK, sword of the lady( Ws on 3+), V of audacity( rerolls vs higher S), and the armor w/ WS10.

Charge in with a unit and you should do o.k. esp if you have BsB in there. You might die but if you play it right you'll break the dragon and send him on his way.

4 As that hit 66% rerollable, and wound 66% rerollable...

Vs a lot of As that hit 50% and still have to get thru a 2+ save and 5+ ward. It works and is a very helpful combo vs a lot of armies these days.
-poxous

Postby mauleed » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:43 pm

In my RAF I generally send in the lord with the killing blow vs. large targets, and the regen armor. I also send in the BSB and if I can, a lance.

I then challenge and hope I get lucky. If I don't I still generally win because I'm bringing +7.
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:17 pm

He has no lord. He's at 1800 points.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:20 pm

Hey! Here's an odd idea to experiment with... take a number of units of ranked infantry archers! Yup... give them full commands, then walk them towards the dragon and fire everything you have at it. (remember, ALL ranks can fire) With the volume of fire, plus any stand-and-shoots, you may get lucky and peg a couple of wounds off the rider. If you can do that, then a charge from a hero should kill off the rider. At that point, the lone dragon won't be able to beat a ranked unit without a lot of luck. You can just chase him off. Of course, they all depends on whether or not the rider has a 4+ save or a 1+ save. Yes, it's an odd way of doing things, but if it works a couple of times, you just might make him reconsider using the beast against you.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby subversive » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:28 am

wait... how does your opponent get 2000 when you get 1800? Is that your version of knightly chivalry? And what kind of opponent are you playing who takes a chaos dragon against you when he's up 200 points?

I say tell your opponent to drop the dragon and let YOU be up 160 points
subversive

Postby elrodogg » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:32 am

He just said it was campaign from the getgo. It's not unheard of for campaign pt levels to be unequal.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -veritas117 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:00 am

Banner size is 1800, he'll probably be fortifying, thus the 2000. And yes, he'd probably want to use the dragon every chance he gets so he knows he'll win.

As an example, here's how his first push into my territory went. He had 2400 against my 2000. It wasn't pretty. He had a lord on dragon, sorcerer, 25 warrior block, 25 chosen block, 10 chosen knight block, and slaanesh spawn. Basically, my dice failed me. My knights bounced off his knights and fled off the table, the trebuchet blew itself up, and the damsel miscast on a 10. All on the first turn.

Beginning of his second, the dragon somehow got a charge. The corner of his base and the corner of my base were barely, barely visible to each other past a forest. Shouldn't that be disallowed, or what? Anyhoo, that charges, I hold. The rest of his army closes, and my Pegasuses are targetted by enrapturing spasms, he gets irresistable. I say fine. Beginning of my second turn, a lance and the damsel run off the table due to terror. I merely concede at that point. We decide to roll the dice, to see what would've happened had we played out my turn's charge, and the grail knights lost against the warriors. Great.
-veritas117

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:34 am

Whenever I place a model exactly 2 inches into a wood, or peeking around a corner, I tell my oponent what my intention is. Something like "I'm hiding them so they can't see out and you can't see in" or "I want to peek at your cavalry unit, but not see/be seen by that infantry unit". Sometimes, my opponent might say "fine, but move then 1/8 inch back" and we do that. It's important to be clear, and it prevents situations where you think you're hiding and he says you're not
VectorAWX3

Postby -the black prince » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:35 pm

paladin on pegasus with grail virtue (immune to psy) and virtue of heroism (killing blow large targets).

he comes out at 177 points - and is the only pegasus knight i use in my army. If he's not killing monsters then he goes after crew. I find it better to give him the grail virtue rather than armour etc to make sure he can hit anything i need him to and then he wont autobreak.

Now i've only had to use him once, in a tournament, vs a 2000 point dogs army that was pretty much a dragon with frills. I killed the dragon first round, with the killing blow.
-the black prince

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy