Empire list for comment

Moderator: Anger Worm

Empire list for comment

Postby -John Bianchi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:11 am

This is the list I think I'm going to try out next week.

What do you think? Keep in mind I'm not interested in changing the core concept here, I just want to tune it so that its mobile, as hitty as possible and denies points.

Its for games at the club, where it will fit right in with all the greater demons, saurus oldbloods, and giants.

CHARACTERS
700 - Emperor Karl Franz + Ghal Maraz + Imperial Dragon.

138 - Warrior Priest w/ heavy armour, Enchanted Shield, barded warhorse, and Sigil of Sigmar (Magic Resistance 1).

115 - Battle Wizard w/Dispel Scrolls

CORE
150 - 5 Knights + Leader, Musician

64 - 8 Handgunners

64 - 8 Handgunners

SPECIAL
100 - Great Cannon
75 - Mortar
75 - Mortar

RARE
140 - 4 DOW Ogres with great weapons

140 - 4 DOW Ogres with great weapons

Its 2211 in total. What would you do with the extra points. Archers? Upgrades to other units? Or would you use them for corrections to my faulty understanding of the actual cost of things?

I have a unit of pistoliers painted up that I'd like to use, but not sure what to drop to fit them in.

Also - with ogres, is this the type you'd use and are the points what I remember? Back in the days when I still had my teeth, there was only one kind of ogre, and that suited us fine. I realize now they have all kinds of newfangled ones to confuse the elderly.
-John Bianchi

Re: Empire list for comment

Postby -Jarrett » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:16 am

I like Ironguts personally. They're 48 points each and come with heavy armor and leadership 8 (good if your general is flying off somewhere on say a dragon, for example). Units of 3 are very viable and not very expensive.

You could put the extra points towards that unit of pistoliers. I also think handguns are minimum 10 when in independant unit, though they don't really fit the mounted/fast theme. If you care I'd go for a 2nd unit of pistoliers instead.

2 mortars is going to be something to see. I'm starting to think I'll bring my Lizards instead. :b
-Jarrett

Postby -jeffcrosby » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:36 am

I second the second unit of pistoliers, especially since you are taking the fight to the enemy.
-jeffcrosby

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:38 am

75 points for a mortar is silly. How many dead elves is that in a single shot? A helluva lot more than 75, methinks.

Edit: But to be constructive and not whiny :p I say you should go all mounted. So much so that you lose the war machines and replace them with a stank and/or galloper guns. Everything rides, baby! :D
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mattbird » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:51 am

Good start. Note that DOW ogres no longer exist as they did- in order to get great weapons on them, they are 'ironguts' @ 48 pts. each.

hangunners are 10+

Is the wizard lvl 2? he should be. if not, go 2 priests.

I would try to up the magic a bit, either through a banner or bound item. Then get at least 1 unit of skirmishing archers to deal with other skirmishers. Move and shoot + 360 LOS will come in handy
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:03 am

Quote:
Note that DOW ogres no longer exist as they did- in order to get great weapons on them, they are 'ironguts' @ 48 pts. each.

Pretty sure you can choose to use either.
WickerNipple

Postby mattbird » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:06 am

really? in that case, forget ironguts. use DOW
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby -Jarrett » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:10 am

I thought there were no more entries for Dogs of War in the Empire book
-Jarrett

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:14 am

There aren't, but no one really knows what that actually means.

GW claims they're removing that entry from army lists because they don't know what they're going to do with DoW in the future - but the DoW rules themselves still certainly allow Empire to take them.

It's become one of those "left to tourney organizers" to decide issues - but that's largely academic in this case.
WickerNipple

Postby -John Bianchi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:34 am

Nidal - if I take gallopers, can't take ogres - so that's academic. Plus gallopers can't hurt you as much as empire ordnance can.

I'll drop down to one unit of 10 Handgunners and pick up a unit of skirmishing archers. Still don't have enough for pistoliers, I expect. That leaves me in the neighborhood of 60 points leftover.

Matt - yes, it is a lowly level one. You raise a good point: which is more useful, wizards or priests? And if used in combination, what gives you the most bang for the points. Keep in mind that dispel ability is much more important to me than casting. I expect two level 2s are more useful, but I know they don't confer the combat bonuses priests do.
-John Bianchi

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy