New O&G character - Troll Chieftain

Moderator: Anger Worm

New O&G character - Troll Chieftain

Postby KevinC » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Hi,

You guys know I how I like Trolls and I wanted to try out playing a Troll-heavy army. So in order to do this properly I came up with a new character choice that would allow this - a Troll Chieftain! Please take a look and tell me what you think, especially points value and let me know if you'd play against him. Thanks.

EDIT: I have dropped the points cost from 240 to 220, changed the Low Cunning special rule, took out the option for a magic weapon and added Stupidity.

0-1 TROLL CHIEFTAIN

Troll Chieftain M:6 WS:6 BS:1 S:6 T:5 W:5 I:3 A:5 LD:7

A Troll Chieftain counts as a Lord choice in an Orcs & Goblins army.

Points/model: 220

WARGEAR: A big club, bone or bit of a tree (counts as a hand weapon).

OPTIONS
May upgrade a Troll Chieftain to a Stone Troll or River Troll Chieftain (+40 pts).
May choose a great weapon (+14 pts) or an additional hand weapon (+10 pts).
A Troll Chieftain or a Stone Troll Chieftain may have heavy armour (+10 pts).

SPECIAL RULES
Trollish Types; Fear; Stupidity; Troll Vomit; Regenerate.

Low Cunning: Troll Chieftains have much more of a keen mind compared to that of the typical Troll, especially when roaring orders at his subordinates. As a result, if a Troll Chieftain is the army General than all friendly Troll units (including the Troll Chieftain) within 12 may re-roll any failed Stupidity test. Note that the second result stands and you may never re-roll a failed re-roll.

In addition, if a Troll Chieftain is the army General the controlling Orcs & Goblins player may not declare a Waaagh! at the start of any of his/her turns.

Unit Strength: A Troll Chieftain has a Unit Strength of 3.

Muster in large numbers: If a Troll Chieftain is included in the army, units of Trolls count as Special unit choices rather than Rare choices.

-----------------------

Designers notes: As astute players will notice, units of Trolls within 12" of a Troll chieftain can re-roll failed stupidity tests ONLY if the Troll Chieftain is the army general. Because of this, for this ability to work your only other characters in the army my be Gobins or Orc Shamans. If you took an Orc Big Boss (LD8 ) he would have the highest Leadership and must be the army general. So keep in mind, with the Troll Chieftain as your general your highest LD is 7 and no hitty Orc characters, units of Trolls within 12" of the chieftain will test stupidy on LD7 with a re-roll. All things considered, I don't believe that the Troll Chieftains ability will be over powered.

Also, I'm not sure I like the idea of the Troll Chieftain getting a magic weapon and I'm considering not allowing him any maigc items. Thoughts?

All comments welcomed, thanks.

Kevin ou
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Re: New O&G character - Troll Chieftain

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:19 pm

I dig it. His weaknesses (particulalry the leaderhship thing) make up for his strengths. Plus, I always like to see you field those 40 trolls at once. ;)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -Jarrett » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:43 pm

Nasty! But his shortcomings as the army general are definitely costly. What I wonder is do you want scenarios where orc heroes lead the army with leadership 8 and you have this guy running around as a solo strength 8 monster? Maybe some troll unit requirement? Unless that's what you want - some wild solo troll action. 0]

I'd consider giving him some additional troll types or features or something allowing for more variety. As he stands now with no magic items I can't see two chieftans being very different from one another.

This also means you must come up with a troll hero character. And shaman. Perhaps each troll character could move a troll unit to core.
-Jarrett

Postby elrodogg » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:44 pm

A couple of ideas:

His stats are kinda high. What is the WS and Strength of a regular troll? WS6 and S6 seems really high. A troll has a WS 3 no? WS5 and S5 IMO is the way to go for him.

If you adjust his stats, it's fine to give him access to the magic weapons in the O+G codex. Even a troll with low cunning could figure out that this stick hits 'arder. Alternitavely give him access to only the common magic items. Sword of might, etc.

I would also add something to the "Muster in large numbers" bit that trolls become 1+ Special slots.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -Jarrett » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:50 pm

WS6 struck me as high also, though strength 6 seems fine. Trolls are strength 5, so on average they're stronger than ogres. Ogre characters reach WS6 though, so it certainly could swing either way for something that big and dumb. I'm thinking trolls are a bit stronger, but a bit less martial
-Jarrett

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:00 am

I like it. Letting them take magic weapons might be a bit much though, but I can't think of any weapon that I'd rather have than the great weapon anyway, so you could remove the option to make the character even more limited.

But I agree, WS6 is too much. WS5 seems right, with WS4 for a hero level character.

And more troll types would be awesome.
mauleed

Postby mattbird » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:08 am

I like it, my only coment would be that I don't like him totally losing stupidity. It doesn't seem in character. Perhaps just letting him reroll his own failed stupidity tests would be a decent compromise?
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:11 am

Nah, I think he needs to drop stupidity or be a higher leadership with a reroll. Rerolling Ld 7 stupidity for a lord gimps him entirely
-Jarrett

Postby elrodogg » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:31 am

Ahh, I didn't realize that a regular troll as S5. Then yeah, he works at S6. I like it Kevin, as WS5 you have yourself a winner. :D
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:45 am

Could have traits

Hyper Regenerative - Regens on a 3+ instead of 4+. 30 points.

Frost Troll - Before combat is fought Strength 2 hit at -1 AS to things in base to base contact. Counts towards combat res. Wounds caused by fire damage against a frost troll are doubled. 25 points.

Rotgut - Troll Chieftan vomits at strength 7. 10 points.

Stuff like that
-Jarrett

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy