Clarification on Skirmishers redirecting

Moderator: Anger Worm

Clarification on Skirmishers redirecting

Postby -Papa Gino » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:43 am

...broken out of the other thread (so as not to hijack it).

Let me see if I have this straight.

Unit A charges Skirmishing Unit B.

If Unit B holds, then Unit A gets to point itself in whatever direction it likes (and is feasible) before contacting the closest model of Unit B. Unit B then aligns itself to the front of Unit A, and the direction of that frontage determines the direction of pursuit/overrun/etc. [This is from memory - my rulebook is, quite naturally, at home, and so I can't look this up at the moment.]

Per page 5 of the 7ed FAQ, if Unit B flees, then before anyone moves, an imaginary line is drawn from the closest member of Unit B to the center point of Unit A. That line is then the line along which fleeing, pursuit, Enemy in the Way, and failed charge movement take place.

In other words, Skirmishers should never accept a charge unless they plan to win the ensuing combat (or don't care about the enemy aligning itself). Conversely, ranked units should never charge Skirmishers unless the imaginary "center line" doesn't take them where they don't wish to go.

That about right?
-Papa Gino

Re: Clarification on Skirmishers redirecting

Postby mattbird » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:08 am

basically, yup
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Ring87 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:29 am

Unfortunatly all my skirmishers are Immune to Psyc: .
Ring87

Postby elrodogg » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:43 am

Is that the world's smallest violin I hear playing? :p
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:56 am

See, even wood elf players complain about dryads
-Jarrett

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:09 am

That is all correct except for one point.

If a ranked unit can contact the closest skirmisher without wheeling, then they do not get to wheel. If you must wheel to contact it, then you may wheel as much or little as you like.

Couple that with skirmishers' ability to string themselves out to ensure a post flee teleport, and they rival fast cav in their ability to frustrate hammer units.
mauleed

Postby Ganymede » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:39 am

As much as I wish such was true Ed, the newly issued FAQ has changed the rules dealing with wheels. Now, as long as you achieve your charging objective (you end up with maximised models, or you charge the closest skirmisher), then you are allowed to wheel as much as you want.

I think it is pretty dumb.
Ganymede

Postby -Papa Gino » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:37 pm

Indeed - the FAQ has a question on Tactical Wheeling, and GW's response read something along the lines of "you're entitled to a wheel any time during the charge, so knock yourselves out".

I believe their intent for this may have been to allow people to bring more models into combat without sliding. Of course, this also implies that a given unit of Dryads can be hit from any conceivable angle.
-Papa Gino

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:59 pm

I stand corrected.
mauleed

Postby Ganymede » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:47 am

Generally, you can minimise the impact of tactical wheeling on skirmishers with a little foresight. Simply be sure to arrange your skirmishers in a tighter formation in which a large wheel will strike a model other than the closest one. Since you have to make contact with the closest visible skirmisher, a long wheel will be disallowed.
Ganymede

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy