So Jarrett, I tried Lizards

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: So Jarrett, I tried Lizards

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:01 pm

It's actually only stubborn on an 8, is it not?
mauleed

Postby KevinC » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:28 pm

Quote:
The real way to beat it I think is to kill everything but the temple guard. If you kill the skink priest and then manage to lock up the slann so he has no LOS it hampstrings the list. But even then you're going to have a hard time even eeking out a small

-----------Ed, you're right, that is the way to beat your list! I played againt a very similiar army list a couple years ago a Baltimore - a 2nd gen Slann + big temple guard, skinks, etc. The trick was I knew that anything I threw at the slann + temple guard would just bounce right off, so I avoided the unit and destroyed everything else. It was still a tough game but I did pull off the victory. The last round he only had the temple guard and the slann, I charged the unit from the front, rear and flanks and the unit still easily held!

Kevin ou
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:00 pm

some armies could probably go the other way, by shooting and magic-ing it until a late game charge can be set up. It's only 16 T4 4+ save wounds to chew through.

And if you can pull it off, it's 1600 VPs.
mauleed

Postby -Papa Gino » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:55 pm

My Skink-less Lizards (don't ask...) include a unit of 20 TGs. I distinctly recall several games where enemy shooting/magic and/or sustained "grinding" by high-powered characters reduced this figure to 2-3 models inside of a few turns.

That said, it is easier to just wipe everything else out while dodging or tarpit-ing the unit.
-Papa Gino

Postby KevinC » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:59 pm

Quote:
some armies could probably go the other way, by shooting and magic-ing it until a late game charge can be set up. It's only 16 T4 4+ save wounds to chew through.

----------True, but Saurus Warriors are nasty, especially the elite ones and I was playing Goblins! I find Saurus Warriors in general to be one of the toughest infantry units in the game!

Kevin ou
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:09 pm

Well that's something I'm going to have to consider when I play. The unit is actually very good offensively, so I've used it to get in the thick of it a good amount of the time. But it's still just 16 wounds (less to get to the slann with something juicy) and when they go it's definitely a loss.

I've only hidden the thing in one game, but it was against dwarves and the other guy had 5 bolt throwers.
mauleed

Postby Ring87 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:10 pm

I'm sure killing the support would be the best thing to do. But I would go right for the Slann. I have enough support stuff to deal with the rest. Plus I love bloodbaths It's so much more fun. Besides what else would I do with 30 eternal guard? Fortune favors the bold.....

Is this the optimum build for Lizards? Its a safe way to play them at any rate and I am sure you win 90% of your games.
Ring87

Postby elrodogg » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:38 pm

Quote:
Is this the optimum build for Lizards? Its a safe way to play them at any rate and I am sure you win 90% of your games.

Hardly. This is simply one incarnation. Lizards are such a good balanced force that almost any type of list works for them. Now if they could only drop the cost of saurus......
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:48 pm

Eternal guard vs. Temple guard!

Let's see: 18 attacks, 9 hits (eternal guard are ws4, right?), 3 wounds, 1 failed save.

8 attacks back, 4 hit, 8/3 wounds, 40/18 dead, or 3.

But that discounts your character in there. But even if he kills 2 a turn, it'll take about 5 rounds, or 2 1/2 turns of combat to wear them all down.

So very doable I think. But better make sure you don't fail that stubborn test!
mauleed

Postby Ring87 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:01 pm

Ed, I am real tricksy. In a fair fight it would be close. But I never fight fair. I would have to screen with Dryads just to get there. Rerollable 9. Check the math.
Ring87

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy