Empire army list

Moderator: Anger Worm

Empire army list

Postby -John Bianchi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:05 am

Considering the new army book, how would you use the following troops in a viable Empire list?

Emperor on Griffon
Dragon
120 Spearmen
25 Swordsmen
36 Greatswords
four great cannon
two hellblasters
three mortars
40+ knights
40+ crossbows
12 archers
16 halfling archers
10 halfling spearmen
40+ Kislevite winged lancers
18 Kislevite horse archers
8 Empire Ogres
15 Golgfag's Ogres
15 pistoliers
30+ handgunners
20+ free company
Steam tank (4th edition model - its about the size of two cavalry models)
war wagon - no rules for this anymore.
...and other things I know I'm forgetting.

My usual armies have contained no magic, no monsters, no fliers, and the bare minimum of generic characters (Elector Count, ASB, Lvl 1 caddy). I don't usually try to cast, and after burning the scrolls, I'd either hid the mage or use him as a march interdictor or whatever. I realize this approach has been pretty much invalid for the past four years or so.

Keep in mind I haven't played in three years, don't know what anything does anymore, and I don't know what anyone else's armies do anymore either.

So, what can you do with the above models? And, please try to suggest builds that are easy for a moron to make work.

-John Bianchi

Re: Empire army list

Postby -Jarrett » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:28 am

Any combination of flying large monsters, Steam tank for sure, maybe a giant (you have one of the Albion ones from your DoW, right?.

3 units of ranked infantry with detachments (1 militia).

2 great cannons.

2 pistolier units.

Whatever else.

Empire General isn't as good as the war altar but still perfectly fine. They can do a nasty magic phase if you've got the altar and some wizards.

The idea with the stuff I listed above is that your crappy infantry pose a static threat (advance or not depending on whether you outgun your opponent) you take handguns and the cannons to keep the pressure on and when you engage your big smashy stuff does all the work.

Edit: Best part about this is you get to wield your infantry blocks and have all the nasties everyone else does.
-Jarrett

Postby mattbird » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:37 am

some variation on this would be mighty fine indeed:

characters:
dragon or war altar
2 other wizards or warrior priests

core:
cavalry
handgunners
flagellants
a few units of 7-9 archers

special:
cannon
2 mortars
pistoliers

rare:
steam tank
ogres

:)
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby elrodogg » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:13 am

Totally competitive. But needs magic and/or a flying critter to really be up there. I think the far more effective route is cav of various varieties, supported by stanks, cannons, hangunners and magic. We all know your feelings on dragons and magic.

On the other hand, you can rock out a shooting army of doom. 2 cannon, 2 mortar, stank, helblaster, 40 xbows and 40 bows (rank up when the enemy get close), hunters to marchblock a turn, then some knights and fighty heroes to countercharge. I don't know if it'll work all that well, but taking 100+ shots a turn can certainly be fun (for you at least).
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -Jarrett » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:17 am

Or lots of priests to make units unbreakable when they finally crawl accross the table
-Jarrett

Postby mauleed » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:43 am

I think if I did empire I'd consider running archlector/3 priests.
mauleed

Postby -John Bianchi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:05 am

I know I've asked this before - but what exactly does the Arch lector do?
-John Bianchi

Postby elrodogg » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:13 am

Hybrid fighty/magic lord. Casts two bound spells a turn. Gets mounted on a chariot that can break ranks and casts a third bound spell.

Combined with 2 warrior priests both having bound spells, the 3 enchanted items that cast bound spells the empire has, and a level 2, an Empirearmy can pump out 9-10 spells a turn.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:18 am

Sorry for noob question. Bound spell cost no dice but is usually low power level, thus easy to dispel, yes?
Emperors Reckoning

Postby -Jarrett » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:20 am

He gives the army leadership 9 for starters, so same as an Empire General (the new Elector Count). He also gives you 2 dispel dice, has a warrior priest statline, and has bound spells.

Pay 100 points and you stick him on a S5 T5 scythed(?) chariot. He becomes unbreakable. The chariot rolls on the lore of light table and gets a bound version of whatever you roll.

So for a couple of hundred points you get an unbreakable, hitty, leadership 9 lord that also gives you magic and dispel. Don't forget the 1+ armor and 4+ ward, thank you
-Jarrett

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy