No More Dogs of War eh?

Moderator: Anger Worm

No More Dogs of War eh?

Postby -Galladorn » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:45 am

The new army books make no mention of the DOW. However, most regiments of renown state if they will take up a rare or special etc. slot in an army. does that mean that empire can still use them?
-Galladorn

Re: No More Dogs of War eh?

Postby Flavius Infernus » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:47 am

IMO, if the annual says (and it does) that a regiment can be taken as a special or whatever choice in an Empire army, that overrides the absence of the DoW entry in the rares section of the New Empire Book (NEB).

Of course it does mean no more generic 9-point duellists with pistols. :(
Flavius Infernus

Postby -John Bianchi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:43 am

Of course you can still field a Dogs of War army.

There hasn't been an army book since fifth edition, but the army still exists. The army list is available as a download.

Of course, I wouldn't take mine to a tea party at this point, let alone a game, but your mileage may (and proabably does) vary for the better.
-John Bianchi

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 am

Dogs of war are viable. It just tends to be an uphill battle
-Jarrett

Postby -Galladorn » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:07 am

here's something. In the Dogs of war army list downloaded from GW, it has a little section on fielding DOW units in other armies. Page 57 in fact:

Fielding 'Dogs of War' units in other Warhammer armies
Other armies from ravening hordes or the Warhammer armies books can field units from the Dogs of War list. In general, they are included in the lists as a rare choice.

IMO that means that O&G and Empire armies can still purchase generic units of DOW as well as Regiments of Renown.
-Galladorn

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:13 am

I would have to agree with you. What counts is: "Other armies from ravening hordes or the Warhammer armies books can field units from the Dogs of War list. " This is the definitive statement that makes it legal. The In general.. makes the second sentence a wash
-Jarrett

Postby -Galladorn » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:29 am

Well, I think that I just answered my own question. In the GW Grand Tournament rules packet it states that they can be used as a rare choice.
-Galladorn

Postby -John Bianchi » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:46 am

Tournies aside,

The only army that would appear to contradict that general "DOW and ROR are Rare" rule has been Empire, where they can be used as special choices in some cases (pikes, crossbows, etc.). Since I no longer play and don't own the books anymore, this may have changed in the new and improved Empire list.

John
-John Bianchi

Postby -John Bianchi » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:36 pm

ah -

and now I see that it has changed. They're not specials anymore.
-John Bianchi

Return to Warhammer Fantasy