So what happens here:

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: So what happens here:

Postby Ganymede » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:39 am

It's no sweat. In this instance I simply read the word "forward" in the third quote to mean something like "towards the enemy". Otherwise we are left in a black hole in the rules.
Ganymede

Postby Bauhaus » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:41 am

Based on the FAQ you would slide enought to get all of your models in btb for the first round and slide on subsequent rounds to make sure that it captures the max number of models.

I agree that you could have a space in between (given that the line of Slayers at the start is so long.) Still, given the FAQ, I'd consolidate the battle before I'd expect one of the units to be removed from battle and allowed to overrun (as long as some slayers remain.)
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby mauleed » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:10 am

Based on the FAQ you wouldn't slide at all.....unless you wanted to break the rules!

Seriously, I'm not doing any sliding of ongoing combats until they actually put it in the rules.
mauleed

Postby Bauhaus » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:34 am

At some point "playing by the rules" in Warhammer and 40k will actually mean something. For right now, the game is still about a community of players getting together to have fun.

Rules are there to help us all "just get along."

Love to all and Merry Christmas.... (I'll be out in Calif. with the family.)
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby subversive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:45 am

The rules are contradictory here. They say both to move units that are out of contact forward to remain in contact, and also that if you're not in contact, you're out of the combat. In my opinion, the spirit of the game dictates that you stay in combat until one unit breaks or is destroyed, and if that means you have to slide to remain in contact with the unit, you slide
subversive

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:44 am

Oh, you said 'spirit of the game', you lose.

Jervis officially says so in the latest White Dwarf.

RAW is LAW bitches!
mauleed

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:53 am

Well now you're just picking the rule you want to follow.

Page 46 - "removing casualties could force some enemy units to lose contact with the unit. In these rare cases, move these units forward to keep contact with the models they are killing."

GW's sliding "suggestion" regards charging and maximizing models. It's addressed under Clipping. Ronen's scenario has nothing to do with charging or sliding, it has to do with continual combat. They very clearly state you are to move the units forward to keep contact. Whether you're physically sliding the models over or not doesn't matter as sliding specifically regards maximizing models on the charge, and this has nothing to do with that.
-Jarrett

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:32 am

You've got a funny definition of 'forward' there.

The rest of us generally refer to it as 'sideways'. :eek

.....Nowhere in any rule does it ever say you can slide engaged models sideways. It suggests you do in the FAQ, but while it does it, it also clearly says it isn't legal.
mauleed

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:44 am

Quote:
Jervis officially says so in the latest White Dwarf.
You read White Dwarf? Sorry. That means that YOU lose. :b
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:58 am

No, I just read the summaries of it on the Internet. It's only $6, but that's almost a whole drink.
mauleed

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy