So what happens here:

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: So what happens here:

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:12 am

Forward doesn't mean straight ahead Ed, it means towards a point, denoting progress, in this case towards the enemy you just lost contact with. In no way does it have to do with front, or side arcs on a models base. You're the one reaching beyond the literal here
-Jarrett

Postby -poxous » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:25 am

How come you don't read the whole bit of anyhting Ed?

RAW means look at the rules first, Like JJ said.

If the rules do not cover it find a solution that keeps the SPIRIT of the GAME.

The fact that you do not want to do that makes me wonder why you even play.

RAW the way you play is aka as WAAC/power gaming.
-poxous

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:17 pm

Todd, you've obviously never read a post I've ever made.

I completely agree with that. If the rules have no ambiguity, I want to follow the rules. You'll never find an instance where I've said otherwise.

Where you and I (and half the warhammer players in the world) have a problem is when you see something that has no ambiguity in the rules, but is not in the spirit of the game. (sliding is a fantastic example)

And no, 'but it worked that way in the last edition" is not ambiguity in the rules. :p
mauleed

Postby mauleed » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:20 pm

And Jarrett, you're really claiming that moving sideways is moving forward? That's the argument you're making?

Sweet, so in the movement rules where it says I move my units 'forward' when I move, I guess I can march sideways, right?
mauleed

Postby -poxous » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:25 am

Dude we have a running thread on the BB of crap you say that contradicts other stuff you say. One thread you say doing X is cheating and 2 days later you give examples of X being the right way to go. I am being totaly serious it is a good time when ever we find our Edisms.

The point is the rules can not be 100% perfect. GW says try to play the game the 'right' way. The 'right' way is not charging warp cannons with an orc from 48" away and making it flee. You veiw of WFB is take an strange wording an use it to develope a tactic to help you win. My view is to take strange wording and work it out in game with my opponent to have a FUN game. And remember that is the word I have still never seen you use Ed....FUN. It seems you play like divorce lawyer ---- the end result for you is all that matters. Screw the game, the opponent, and FUN. Blah!
-poxous

Postby mauleed » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:20 am

No offense Todd, but you've got a serious lack of precision in your reading of anything I post. I've seen the sorts of things you post to say I'm contradicting myself, but every time you've given me an example, you've shown me making two different comments, about two different things and then claiming I'm contradicting myself.

Frankly it's that lack of precision in your 'wordsmithing' that is the likely cause of why you and I never get on the same page. The warp lightning cannon is a great example. Until the Erratta, there was no ambiguity on the point at all. If it was charged from 48" away, it must flee. Period, end of story. Yet you'd go on for pages and pages about, well I really don't know what about other than you insisted that the rules would not be followed.

Perhaps you get confused because I don't mind accomodation when the rules don't cover a topic or are ambiguous. But when they are not, no matter how unpopular they are, I want to follow them. I don't see any contradiction in that stance, but obviously you do.

And Todd, while we've never played a game, tons of the gentlemen on this board have, so if you'd like to poll the jury to see if I'm 'fun', this would certainly be the place to do it.

But just to satisfy you: It's not FUN for people to cop an attitude with me when I want them to follow the rules. I would just be more FUN for everyone if we just followed the rules. When you insist that we ignore the rules (generally to your benefit) that is not FUN to me. When I play someone that takes the time to read the rules and know them, and when presented with a rule that is counter-intuitive doesn't view it as a personal affront to them as a gamer, I have FUN.

And this:

"You veiw of WFB is take an strange wording an use it to develope a tactic to help you win. "

....is just utter bullshit not worthy of a lengthy response, but I'll note the insult.
mauleed

Postby -poxous » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:52 am

Ed you rule.

I hope you do have fun and I hope people have fun playing you. But sticking something that is obviously wrong up someones butt in the name of a rule is not cool( WLC example). I certainly do not take rules stances to help me like you are trying say. BTW I am not the person who collects Edisms from around the boards to laugh at. But they are funny :rollin

I know when we play it'll be fun and smoth. I appologize for insulting you sir! I am WFB board bully and that is bad >:
-poxous

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:00 am

What is this apologizing and smoothing shit over crap?!

People come to The Warmongerclub for fightin' and name calling! You two are hurting our readership!! :lol
WickerNipple

Postby mauleed » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:03 am

Todd, it's not a big deal, but again, you just don't pay attention to me.

You see that I have a stance contrary to yours, then make a zillion assumptions, and start posting. I do the same thing, but I'm being just as much a jackass when I do it. ;)

Regardless, you have my attitude all wrong. I don't want to know that I can make the warp lightning cannon flee so I can bone you with it, I want to know so that if I field it, my cannon flees.

For example, last game I played with Andy, my fanatic scatters into a hill. I yank it off the table without question, much to Andy's suprise, doing no damage to his unit. Why? Because that's what the [damn] rules tell me I have to do. If you think it would be more 'fun' for me to insist Andy took damage, fantastic, but I don't see how that makes the game any better.

Do I think that rule is silly? Sure. Does my opinion about how silly a rule is have any bearing on Andy's unit taking damage? Of course not.

As for:

"But sticking something that is obviously wrong up someones butt in the name of a rule is not cool( WLC example). "

You just summed it up right there. How can a rule be 'wrong'? It says what it says. A rule can be ambiguous, poorly written, counter-intuitive, or unbalanced, but it can't be 'wrong'.

By 'wrong', I imagine you mean 'not to your liking' (if you mean something else, let me know, I might be making assumptions again), but I find the attitude that we get to follow the rules we like and ignore the ones we don't ridiculous for lack of a more eloquent term.
mauleed

Postby -poxous » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:03 am

U suck
-poxous

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy