Where have all the dwarves gone?

Moderator: Anger Worm

Where have all the dwarves gone?

Postby -Azgrund » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:17 pm

Hello all, I feel my bi-annual warhammer game coming on. I see I need to learn some new rules. What can you tell me I should think about with regards to army composition? What are some major changes affecting gameplay? Is it still possible to play dwarves and have fun? Cheers,

Nicolai
-Azgrund

Re: Where have all the dwarves gone?

Postby elrodogg » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:51 pm

They all went underground and are chillin in the tunnels of the 4,5,6 subway lines. :b

Dwarfs got a mixed bag in the new rules (though you really have to couple 7th with their new army book to discuss the overall dwarf changes). The lack of skirmishers marching means that they can actually catch up on people. Many armies are now much "slower" than they were before. Good for dwarfs. Miners got a boost as they can force crossfires. The organ gun is much better than it used to be, field one. The flame cannon is also much better than it used to be because of panic failure chains (read the new panic rules). One flame cannon shot can potentially force an entire goblin army to flee! :eek

Dwarfs got hosed on the 5 wide for ranks rule. The lack of lapping really hurts them vs things like spawn, giants, etc. Anything that ignores static combat resolution should be target priority one.

Overall smaller elite dwarf armies work better now I think. All the elite dwarf units got better (longbeards, ironbreakers and hammerers).

Key list building changes: You should definately include at least one unit of Longbeards to reroll failed panic checks (read the new panic rules, they have changed drastically). They are also core, so don't hurt your special selection. (I like a unit of 10 hanging behind the lines protecting the bsb, and serving as a flanking unit if need be). An organ gun is now almost necessary to help protect the backfield more than ever (particularly against skirmishers, fast cav and flying unit trying to crossfire).

Key magic items now include: ro stoicism, ro battle (coupled with stoicism), ancestry rune (1 break check on 1d6, and again coupled with the ro stoicism), strollaz rule (free move after skirmishers are deployed for things w/in 12" of the bsb). The mro challenge is simply gravy (charge me or flee). Oh and every army should have a thane with the mro gromril and an oathstone.

The anvil is very different and completely changes the way dwarfs play, but it's too expensive for my taste. For the same pts you can get a fairly equipped dwarf lord and some hammerers.

Overall dwarfs can still be alot of fun to play, and are certainly more competitive than they used to be. Enjoy!
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -Azgrund » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:27 pm

Hey thanks Ronen! Makes me wanna break out the stumpies again. See you soon hopefully.

Nicolai
-Azgrund

Postby elrodogg » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:16 pm

Let me know when and I'll be more than happy to give you a game. I've been playing Lizardmen recently, while working on tomb kings (my dwarfs are retired for quite a while :eek ).
elrodogg

Postby -Azgrund » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:19 pm

Great! I think I also owe Steve a game after having bumped into him at the grocery store, which made me remember that I haven't played warhammer in a while. But I'm thinking perhaps Thursday next week, around 5pm.

Lizardmen or tomb kings huh. Wonderful match ups for a dwarf :rolleyes

;)
-Azgrund

Postby elrodogg » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:15 pm

They aren't as bad as before. Lizards are still a tough matchup for anyone, but Tomb Kings are 100% beatable by dwarfs. Especially ones that are close combat oriented.
elrodogg

Postby steve » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:34 pm

Hey Nicolai, just in case you can't make it to the club but can make it round the corner for a few hours I have a 6' table in the basement that will definetely be open in the evenings until the end of January. So if you fancy a local game then we're set. Otherwise I'll see you at the club,
steve
steve

Postby -Azgrund » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:04 pm

You have a basement?! What are you, rich? Sounds like a splendid idea anyway, if I can find some precious free time I'll take you up on that offer sometime soon.

Nicolai
-Azgrund

Postby -Azgrund » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:38 pm

I should be in at around 5 Thursday. Is 2250 the new point limit?
-Azgrund

Postby elrodogg » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:02 pm

Yes, 2250 is the new standard. I think you'll find it's a much better point value to play at.
elrodogg

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy