OK, read the FAQ, here is my Rant!

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: OK, read the FAQ, here is my Rant!

Postby -Jarrett » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:18 am

But its not all but snuffed out because sliding isn't the rule, NOT sliding is the rule.

If your opponent asks you before the game "do you want to play with sliding?" you simply say "no I prefer to play with the rules as written."

Nobody's going to ding you for that because he's got the same advantages clipping you as you do clipping him. As long as both players agree to play a certain way there's no advantage gained one route or another.

And with sliding you can have the exact reverse scenario to your benefit:

A) Here the overrun carries you into unit X, but without sliding you miss wizard O.

________ O_______________
________XXXXX___________
________XXXXX___________
___________YYYYY________
___________YYYYY________

B) Here, because you agreed to play with sliding, you move your unit Y to maximize models and can now overrun into wizard O.

________ O_______________
________XXXXX___________
________XXXXX___________
________YYYYY___________
________YYYYY___________

It's the same game for both players either way, so there's no real advantage or disadvantage as long as there is consistancy. If in doubt, play by the rules. If your opponent insists that sliding MUST be played with #1) it doesn't matter because you can adjust for it #2) this is likely the same character that would ding you for whatever reason anyway, so you can say no with probably no real consequences
-Jarrett

Postby Larro » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:34 am

Oh, super. I thought sliding was the new rule. I haven't played a game of 7th yet, so thanks for clarifying. Yeeaaah no sliding!!

- Larr
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby -Jarrett » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:44 am

Exactly.

Though you should realize that the FAQ goes on to say clipping, or not sliding in general, is completely against the spirit of the game and a totally inappropriate representation of the battle. They so much as say you're a bad sport if you clip.

But when push comes to shove you've got the rules on your side
-Jarrett

Postby mauleed » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:55 am

Larry, your example isn't really relevant in 7th though.

In 7th you must endevour to maximize both sides' models when you charge. And if you pursue or overrun into another unit, you treat it like a new charge.

So you now always have to move over, but you do it with a forced wheel instead of a slide. So effectively you can use this to 'redirect' a unit that's pursuing. It's just as tactical, but on the other end.

When this is most likely to matter is when you fight two units and one breaks, leaving only part of the remaining frontage fighting.
mauleed

Postby -Jarrett » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:17 am

Ed, in treating it like a fresh charge, you only endeavour to maximize models in so far as you have movement. So, Larry's post is still relevant so long as the range of the overrun is at the very end of the overrunner's charge range, ie. any maneuver to maximize models by wheeling would exceed the models overrun.

In any case, it cuts both ways so I fail to see the significant difference (as demonstrated in my prior post)
-Jarrett

Previous

Return to Warhammer Fantasy