jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: arch lector stats

Postby mauleed » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:01 pm

"less" is relative Andy.
mauleed

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:38 pm

I read the new empire book on thursday - the Strat has a pre-release of the book.

There's plenty of competitive lists to be had in the book, though I think in general we're going to see a lot less empire lists based on blocks of big troops.
WickerNipple

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:36 pm

4-1 is what you guys define as competitive? Competitive for what? The top spot? If you can go 3-2, that's "competitive". Hell, even 2-3 is "competitive". You can compete, can't you? You can win, can't you?
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby AndyP » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:57 pm

Competitive as in:

"I could be on table one, game five and still be in with a decent chance of winning."

Your point is a valid one though, there are all sorts of different levels of competitive.

Andy P
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Postby -LLagroue » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:21 am

Obviously this post will not further or refine the debates going on this thread, but I thought I would take a break from studying and say-

1) I side with Larry, Matt and the "90%" Andy in regards to early opinions on the new Empire book. It seems more of reshuffling of its focus, rather than making it any more competitive. Though, I have heard rumor of some fairly strong bound/enchanted items. Regardless, I don't think the new list will be in any better position to fight Bretts, V.C, WE, Skaven, or Lizardmen.

2) Early thoughts on the new Orcs- I like the conceptual idea of returning the focus on having the army based around the infantry with auxillary support, rather than the opposite. However, I think its ability to fight Bretts, V.C, WE, Skaven, or Lizardmen has diminished slightly. Thus, I have a tendency to side with Ed in his assessment that they are actually slightly weaker in the current form.

3) Being competitive- Obviously definitions are going to differ. However, my early assessment for an experianced gamer would be to reasonably assume that he thinks his list prior to an event would go 3-1-1 or better. With a 3-1-1 it would still be imaginable, though unlikely, to place in a top three spot for either best general or overall. There are about a half dozen really great Empire players I know, and they will usually go 3-1-1 in tournaments. It just seems unlikely though, that if we were place their Empire armies against a top 5 list from with one of top 30 players in the nation that they would win more than about 1/3 of the time.

4) Overall direction of WFB- If all the armies are getting slightly weaker, then O&G and Empire will actually be more competitive in a couple of years than currently. For example, if they were to redo the aforementiond top 5 lists, then it will be more realistic to expect higher rankings for these two armies. Additionally, the game design of wfb still tends to favor speed combined with h-to-h ability, thus O&G and Empire may always be a middle-tier list.

5) I was planning to do a beastmen army (celts actuallys), but I am really bummed out about the 4 rank controversy for the list as I wanted lots of herds (celtic hordes). Any thoughts whether I should proceed or wait till high elves come out?

6) I am applying for an internship in NYC for the summer, so hopefully I'll be back in the city gaming with everyone starting in May!

Lance
-LLagroue

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:41 am

The HE rumors I hear from what's left of the playtest team don't encourage me to look forward to their release - and I've been playing HEs for 15 years now.

But, I may wind up doing Empire afterall - I have a half-converted Araby army begging to be played with. It just won't look or feel much like what we're used to seeing Empire look or feel like (conversions aside).
WickerNipple

Postby elrodogg » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:45 am

Hey Lance - great to see you posting again. I hope you get the internship to come back to nyc!

Otherwise, the power level of many of those armies you mention has gone down with new edition. The new magic and redirect rules have hurt bretonians, and skaven warmachines can now be shot at and easily killed. Lizard armies are much fairer than they were before because of the same new marchblocking of skirmishers (the same applies to wood elves, though their virtual immune to panic accross large parts of their army still give them a boost). Not saying that they all aren't still the top armies, but they the same old tricks do not work anymore. VC are next right? We'll see how they get addressed soon enough.

Andy - we would all love to see that army played with. You should do it just for the converting and the modeling aspects.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:53 am

Ronen, march-blocking skinks isn't the biggest of deals. By turn 2, they're normal-moving and shooting you anyway. But yes, many of the things you described have indeed changed, generally (though not always) for the better.

Lance, good to hear from you again. Good luck with the return!

6th has definately changed how certain armies can and will behave.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Arash » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:11 am

Quote:
6th has definately changed how certain armies can and will behave.

So has 7th
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy