Storm Raven Blog...

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Storm Raven Blog...

Postby ZiggyQubert » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:05 pm

So as some of you know, I'm planing on building a couple of Storm Ravens for the just released blood angels book, so I thought I'd chronocal, at least somewhat, the building!!!

So preliminaries, I decided that the Storm Raven should look like either a small thunderhawk or this http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/259321.page which forge world is suposidly releasing.

I decided to go with making a mini-thunderhawk for a couple of reasons -

1 - Fluf wise storm ravens are sometimes mistaken for thunderhawks (the FW model, looks nothing like this)
2 - I think a mini TH would ultimatly look mutch cooler than the FW boxey model thing
3 - you can get basic plans to build a thunderhawk, pluss lots of people have built them

so that decision made I set out to find TH plans, they can be found (along with a tun of other plans) here-
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bwc-archive/?yguid=217827118
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bwc-archive-2/?yguid=217827118
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/WH40KCardTanks/?yguid=217827118
(all yahoo groups)

There are basicly two templates, one based on the older metal GW model, and one based on the newer Forge World model.

I basicly wound up using both templates for different parts, printed it out and reduced it to 80% of the origional size.

However at this stage it seamed like it was still too long, and needed a bit more bulk in the middle - so I choped some of the length off, and added some depth to the belly, as well as enlarging the back to look like it could hold a dreadnaught - basicly my plan is to turn the back into a door rather than holding an engine.

For materials, I'm building it out of card and foam core, and my plan it to cast the final product, thus allowing me to build it once and have two when I'm done :) this also means I only need to build one wing etc, as they will be symetrical, thus saving on work.

So on to the construction, curently I have the main hull built and some of the armour plating on, the tail is finished and the wing needs a bit of work

The hull without any armour plating -
1 Basic Hull.jpg

the curent stage, some plating on, you can see my plans for the rest of the plating -
Front view
2 Armour stage 1 front.jpg

Side view
3 Armour stage 1 side.jpg

the hull seams to be a bit tall, however once the wings and other attachments are added it looks about right.

Still to do -
- finish the plating on the main hull
- build the front wings
- figure out where the heck the weapons will go, I'm thinking one will mount on the top at the front of the bump, the other will be side mounted forward of the exit doors...
:spacesharks: :Hamelin: :Lilith: Brookie
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Re: Storm Raven Blog...

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Way to go, Brookie! Looking forward to following this.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby The Gunslinger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Awesome. Looking good.

I'm tempted to build one myself but by kit-bashing a valk & rhino somehow. Just for fun, cuz I definitely don't need/want another army.
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby slann » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:47 pm

so so good , i have seen this and i kinda like it here is a pic
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 87616.page

and it looks kinda like a mini thunder hawk .
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Postby The Gunslinger » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:28 am

On second thought, Brookie, just make your life easier & just do this one...

I like the LR & valk conversion from James' link, but I agree with the criticism on the thread. I'd like to see how it would've worked with a rhino instead. It would've helped if the guy removed some of the bottom crenilations of the LR.

Anyway, back to Brookie. I agree that it does seem tall. I also think the back shouldn't be as tall as the front. I would make space in the back to carry the dread outside the hull. I saw a conversion in a display case at Adepticon where the dread was at very back, level with the hull. Stomach up & feet to the hull. Looked pretty cool.
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby ZiggyQubert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:18 am

Ya, I thought about making the dread caried outside the hull, and decided that in the end I diden't like the idea for a couple of reasons.

- a it would be difficult to mak it actualy able to carry a dread, and if I'm casting it then it needs to fairly simle to replicate whitch dosen't include making attachments for a dread

- fluf wise you'd want the dread to be inside the raven when entering atmo anyway

also as I build it the height is becoming les of an issue, once the wings and everything are in place it looks mutch better, and the height seams fine.

So in anycase, heres a current photo -
4 Armour Stage 2.jpg

At this point I have all the armour plating done, pending any extra plates I feel need to be added, I actualy like the taller back at this point as the doorway came out really nice (I'll get more photos tonight hopefully)

so hopefully I'll get this finished this weekend and be able to start the casting process

things left to do -
- make the windows on the cabin
- fill in a hole in the valkerie engine (it comes that way)
- finish the slanty wing that connects the main wing to the top of the ship, I have the template cut, just need to make it and add armour plates and attachment points
- fill and smooth gaps in the armour plates, basicly where there are joints that shoulden't look like joints

All that should only take a couple of hours I hope.
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Postby deFl0 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:41 am

That looks pretty awesome.

You planning on casting these once your prototype is complete?

Pete
deFl0

Postby ZiggyQubert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:04 pm

That is the plan
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Postby deFl0 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:58 pm

You know, if you fabricated the engines and the and landing gear you could cast and sell those on Ebay and make a killing.

I bet you could easily sell at least 10 to 20 for $100 a pop.

LMK if you want to go into business... I could totally fabricate those extra pieces...
deFl0

Postby ZiggyQubert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:13 pm

heh, I thought about it, wanted to get to the point of having the basic one made before I started mas producing it for the masses
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting