Planning to come visit New York. Need some directions

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Planning to come visit New York. Need some directions

Postby inquisitor_bob » Fri May 28, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning to visit New York City in July for a wedding. My wife found reasonable airfare to Newark. I am not sure how I can get to our hotel in Manhattan, New York City from Newark. Can I take a cab, train or some other form of transportation?

Thanks
inquisitor_bob

Re: Planning to come visit New York. Need some directions

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:01 pm

The answer is YES!

You can take a train, cab, or other form of transportation. Where is your hotel? What day/time are you getting there? How much luggage are you lugging around?
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby subversive » Fri May 28, 2010 9:19 pm

From Newark, expect to spend at least $50 on a cab to Manhattan. Public transportation will most likely be bus either into Manhattan or bus to Path Train (and likely then to either a cab or subway from the Path train), and a royal pain in the ass. Check njtransit.com for bus info, or better still, call the concierge of the hotel or the airline customer service.
subversive

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Actually, you can take the airtrain right from the airport to the PATH train and get to the 30's or downtown for about 10 bucks a person. Cheap and faster during rush-hour, when the tunnels into the city get packed. But if you're lugging around lots of bags, if might be too much of a PITA to be worth it. And Tom's been away from the city a while... $50 would be getting off cheap. :)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby inquisitor_bob » Fri May 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks! I really appreciate everyone's inputs.

I'm not sure which hotel in Manhattan we will be staying at this time. My wife is the one planning everything.

If I have time I would try to meet some of you guys...
inquisitor_bob

Postby Arash » Fri May 28, 2010 10:15 pm

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-ground-transportation.html

We generally meet up on Thursdays and sometimes on Saturdays (although you need to set a game up since people don't generally come in otherwise).

Also, we generally go to a bar after gaming (around 9) and you are more than invited to that as well.
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Postby subversive » Sun May 30, 2010 5:43 pm

I don't think I've gone to or from Newark since the Airtrain has been up and running, didn't even think of that. And the "at least" part was if you're willing to take a ride from a shady guy with a minivan.

But yea, what I've found is that the savings on coming into Newark is more than eaten up by the PITA factor and extra expense of actually getting into the city. It was great when I lived in Jersey City, though.
subversive

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon May 31, 2010 1:18 pm

Airtrain + path is the way to go. Newark cabs are legendarily sketchy. I once had a dude try to charge me $70 to go 8 miles... on highways in Jersey...

There are respectable korean-run car services that will pick you up in a lexus and get you to midtown for around $60 + tolls, but airtrain + path is <$10 each and unless you are coming at a ridiculously off-peak time will be just as fast if not faster than the car.

The Path train even takes the same metro-cards as the NYC subways and buses! :mrgreen:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby WickerNipple » Mon May 31, 2010 2:10 pm

Don't dissuade the guy from Newark if you haven't used the Airtrain.

It's efficient, fast and cheap. Newark is far closer than JFK now for someone in Manhattan - it's about 30 minutes total from Penn Station to Newark airport if you time the NJTransit right. Only reason to use anything else is if you're lugging a ton of bags or something.
WickerNipple

Postby subversive » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:35 am

Well then I'll have to add NWK back onto my list of acceptable airports to fly into.
subversive

Next

Return to Off Topic