Gaming spaces for rent in Manhattan?

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Gaming spaces for rent in Manhattan?

Postby OtherGary » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Does anyone know of places that rent out small rooms for gaming purposes in Manhattan? Some of my friends want to start a board gaming league in the city and are looking for a regular, central spot convenient and cheap enough for 6-10 people to rent and use once a week. I suggested the Strat's basement on Saturdays, but the store's hours then are very limiting not to mention that the club's tournaments take priority on some Saturdays. Ironically, someplace like Neutral Ground would have been ideal for their purposes but places like that are practically non-existent anymore.

Isn't there a Historicals/Napoleonics/Avalon Hill gamers society with their own space in Manhattan? Or an already established board gaming organization that is somewhat affiliated with the Strat that also has their own space?
OtherGary

Re: Gaming spaces for rent in Manhattan?

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Did Henley's basement ever take off?

The http://twentysidedstore.com/ would have been perfect for what you're looking for if they hadn't closed two weeks in. But they say they're looking for other spaces, so keep an eye out and they may reopen.
WickerNipple

Re: Gaming spaces for rent in Manhattan?

Postby Bauhaus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:48 pm

I've know just about any place with tables will allow people to play chess or games at times. You just need to find someone willing to have you (usually on a quite weeknight or off hours.)

I used to get together to play chess at bars in Hoboken (after the Barnes & Nobel kicked us out.) Try your local churches, pubs, halls, schools, etc. I know a chess club that plays Monday nights at a public school in Dumont, NJ. People play Bingo all over the place. If anyone is a graduate of a local college you might try there.
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Return to Off Topic