And the FAQs are up

Moderator: Anger Worm

Re: And the FAQs are up

Postby GroGacTor » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Saw something on the WoC FAQ. I don't know maybe this there from 7th edition but since I never saw anyone use a Demon Prince I don't remember; but how can a demon prince be considered a demon for spells that do extra damage to demons but NOT have magical attacks for being a demon? WTF? I know, this blatant inconsistency is nothing new but it still makes me laugh. From now on, anytime I witness a WTF moment (the government is always good for those) I will just say "warhammer" instead.
GroGacTor

Postby mattbird » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:59 pm

I agree, you could go easily to 4 games saturday/3 games sunday, or even 5/2. The terrain rules would need to not be random generation, but I think that's easily handled ahead of time.

I do think that someone needs to produce little playing card-sized cardsw ith the rules for each terrain piece, that would be ace.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby mattbird » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Pariah, I do plan on writing something up, when I get the energy.
mattbird

Postby Larro » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:03 pm

To avoid the FAQ'd retardation that is Double Steam Tank, anything trying to pass itself off as a "competitive" event needs to be 2395 points or less. ;)

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby mattbird » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:57 pm

you could say the same for a million things in 8th. 2 stanks ranks far down the list. :)
mattbird

Postby dielkathan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:35 pm

How about this for why I can't take it seriously:

Page 21. In the little side blurb "Front to Back". And I quote:
"...if there's a doubt as to which facing your unit will be charging, you discuss it with your opponent when the charge is declared - he might not be expecting your unit in his rear!"

And I repeat...
He might not be expecting your unit in his rear.
Seriously GW team. And to add an explanation point to drive it home (sorry, that pun was indeed intended)

How about that for a tag line.

Raul
dielkathan

Postby Larro » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:50 pm

mattbird wrote:you could say the same for a million things in 8th. 2 stanks ranks far down the list. :)

IMO, putting 2 Stanks "far" down your list is completely off base. Off the top of my head, it's easily one of the Top 3 most OTT you put plop down at the moment.

Either way, the point stands. The bigger the games get, the crazier they'll get as well. If you're trying to reign in some of the nonsense, keeping it around ~2K - 2250 sounds fine.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

Larro

Postby mattbird » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:04 pm

2K doesn't stop:

Slann
Goblins
Gnoblars
Minotaurs
double hellcannons
double skull chuckas
triple mortars
double hydras
12 eagles
etc etc
etc.
(and those are just the things off the top of my head)

and most importantly...

The plain old basic lores of magic.

When there are spells that can boost a basic unit's strength to 8 (before adding weapon bonuses), spells that make units take a str test or die, a init test or die, a T test or die, add +3 toughness, pick out characters and kill them with the default spell (and those are just the ones off the top of my head, again)...

a T10 unit that kills stuff but CANNOT CANCEL RANKS is just not a big deal. It will get stuck in for the entire game against many tarpit units, and there are now 8-10 terrain pieces on the board that can do d6 auto wounds to it. It's a great for points denial, and in combo with a big ranked unit, it's great. But infantry charge almost as far as it does, so tarpitting it for the whole game is a very valid tactic.

Is it fucked up and stupid and broken? Hell yes. But I'd fear the Slann far more. I'd fear skull chuckas more. I'd fear just an average magic phase that can reach across the board and end the game at any moment far more.
mattbird

Postby Larro » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Slann
Goblins
Gnoblars
Minotaurs
double hellcannons
double skull chuckas
triple mortars
double hydras
12 eagles

Gnoblars aren't even a real army, so they hardly count. Double Hydras? Steadfast takes a lot of the issue of Hydras away, but yes they're still great bargains. Triple mortars aren't close. 2 SSCs you make a point, and yes, 12 Eagles is fucking retarded.

But Minotaurs? Seriously? They're still 60+ pts. per model, and with the increase potency in shooting (not to mention volume), they still die very, very fast. You can't even take 3x 6 Minos, and even if it COULD fit within 1K, after characters, you'd have no army to speak of.

Is it fucked up and stupid and broken? Hell yes. But I'd fear the Slann far more. I'd fear skull chuckas more. I'd fear just an average magic phase that can reach across the board and end the game at any moment far more.

The point is that for 600 points, you get 2 unkillable tarpits, that can and WILL kill units over time. If a Stank kills a 200 pt. unit by Turn 6, it's won the game for you already if it doesn't die (and it won't). Plus, Empire Magic is so cheap and effective, you can get *both* 2x Stanks AND a deadly Magic phase. So why not eliminate both?

What's the obsession of playing 2400-2500 anyway? You get the same game out of 2200, so why is it a huge deal?

And do you disagree that the bigger the games, the more craziness you open yourself to? Because unless you do, I see no reason to scale the game up more and more unless you're specifically looking to unbalance the game as much as possible.

- Larry

Larro

Postby WickerNipple » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:31 pm

If it's 2k we're talking about then I can ONLY take 10 Eagles. Take heart.

CAW
WickerNipple

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy