No comment necessary

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Re: No comment necessary

Postby Bauhaus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:42 am

Should any of us be proud to write below a 9th grade proficiency level? But nothing like being the smartest idiot in the group! Go team Athiest!
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby subversive » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:35 pm

Bauhaus wrote:Should any of us be proud to write below a 9th grade proficiency level? But nothing like being the smartest idiot in the group! Go team Athiest!

Dave, you're clearly the 10th grader bringing up the average for some 8th grade level atheist. ;)
subversive

Postby spacewolfjack » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:25 pm

do you even play tabletop war games? Wait wait don't tell me... Lord of the rings, I can always tell when a 14 year-old girl posts.

I used to. But real life responsibilities, such as children, and work, get in the way things you probably don't know about yet. One day, when you grow up, you'll learn about those things.

And, a clue for you - plastic is made from oil. When you leftists go after oil, it makes it harder to make plastic, and thus plastic things (like miniatures) get stupid expensive.

I'd rather spend the time with my family, thanks. And wait for GW to realize that videogames is where the money is at. Oh, wait, they already did?
spacewolfjack

Postby subversive » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:52 pm

The major expenses for miniatures are the mold and the studio creative time. If the cost of plastic went up tenfold, it would mean that the raw cost of the minis would go from approximately $.01 to $.10. Given the actual retail price per mini coming in around $2.50-5.00, that's a negligible portion. If you're going to gripe about prices from a right wing perspective, at least blame the high cost of employment in the UK due to their welfare state, not the materials cost.

The fact of the matter is that GW charges what they charge because people pay it. Other game companies charge far, far less and still make a decent profit. So oil has very little to do with it.
subversive

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:42 am

"And, a clue for you - plastic is made from oil. When you leftists go after oil, it makes it harder to make plastic, and thus plastic things (like miniatures) get stupid expensive. "

'Jack, all your posts crack me up! I don't know which one of the 'mongers you are the troll-identity of, or maybe you're that mandatory self-hug case from Florida, I don't know but it doesn't matter. Your near perfect choice to ignore anything like science or historical fact leaves me in stitches every time. Keep it up.

However to the rest of you; Jack doesn't have his facts completely straight, (no surprise, I'm sure). While he is correct that plastic, in our case specifically - polystyrene, is typically made from petroleum, it's base stock is monomer styrene, which can come from a variety of bvegetable sources. the reason, from an industrial point of view, that it is made from petroleum (not oil, please, some precision here) is that petroleum is an extraordinarily rich base stock for a multitude of chemical operations. Which here is kind of the point...

You see, the principle difficulty with petroleum industrialism is that we, as an industrial culture, take the vast majority of this incredibly rich base stock, petroleum, and set fire to it, exploiting only its chemical energy, rather than its amazing mutability. Kind of wacky, I know, but there it is...

So when the Liberals, or whomever finally manages it, and finds a way to eliminate the need or practice to use petroleum for its chemical energy value, then the price of monomer styrene base stock will actually decline, as the available supply finds fewer demands. As a supporters of plastic miniatures, we should all be proponents of alternate fuels.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:48 am

Emperors Reckoning wrote: Image

Simplified version for the less adroit.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:51 am

But to get back on topic, while I do recognize that the bar graph first presented by GiS has huge snark potential in regards organized religion and formal education, what it shows me is that large numbers of our educated young are turning away from issues of faith. That make me sad.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:00 am

Interestingly enough, Duncan, it seems the correlation is driven more by race/class.

Replace Buddhist with Asian and Catholic with Latino, you get about the same results.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby jchrisobrien » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:25 am

Bottom line: our reading level sucks!
"Play the game!" --KevinC
jchrisobrien

Postby nomrakram » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:19 am

Well if we would all just read the bible.....
right wolfjack? :bash:
"The only true knowledge in life is knowing you know nothing at all."
-Bill, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
nomrakram

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic