Cyber liability insurance

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Cyber liability insurance

Postby subversive » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:20 pm

aka website insurance. Anyone know anything about this? What does it typically cover, premiums, etc.?
subversive

Re: Cyber liability insurance

Postby Guy In Suit » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Well, assuming it is like other insurance, it typically covers nothing of use and the premiums are too high ;)
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Re: Cyber liability insurance

Postby Charlie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:20 pm

As I understand it, this type of insurance is very expensive relative to other more typical varieties. The risk assessment used to establish cost is not well defined compared to areas like fire insurance for example, and as such you pay a very high price.

I believe there is quite a variety of coverages, ranging from loss of revenue for online sales, to coverage against lawsuits by customers for identity theft if your systems are hacked and personal data is stolen.

Again, I don't know all that much about it, more hobby interest than anything else, but most companies generally ignore it unless they retain large amounts of identity information, like medical records, or are involved in some form of software as a service, like logistics managment, where customers can suffer extensive damage due to downtime in your website.

Charlie
Charlie

Return to Off Topic