Provisionary Dwarfs of Chaos Errata and FAQ for 8th ed WFB

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: Provisionary Dwarfs of Chaos Errata and FAQ for 8th ed W

Postby elrodogg » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:51 am

Longbeards were pointed correctly in their day. At the time their book came came out, special slots were a premium and rerolling panic was huge. Dwarfs always payed a points premium for their leadership, but that odd failure of ld9 meant that an expensive unit was lost. Longbeards were fantastic in that regard. In 8th ed, there is an argument that they are overcosted with the bsb allowing for all rerolls, but regardless they are still core and help you get to that 25%. Regardless, 11 vs. 12 vs. 13 points won't make that big of a difference. At 11 they are an attractive option as compared to being fielded not at all.

As for annihilators, they can become survivable with chaos armor and a shield, but they are still aren't killing anything with only s3 attacks. Great weapons are the new shields, remember? IMO 2-3 small units (10ish) with a musician is the optimal way to field these guys. Again, I love love love to have the options to field them as I want but probably wouldn't field them in practice. Units of 30 annihilators is crazytalk. :lol:

Regarding your concerns for a gunline, well that's why you make fighty troops like obsidian guard cheaper and more attactive, the same with the price reduction in chaos armor for the regular warriors. That's also why you encourage things like iron golems (another unit that could use either a bump in power like +1 wound or a point drop), demoneaters and bull centaurs.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby JavlinVII » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:25 pm

While I'm not ecstatic about the loss of bound spells for the Daemonsmith (DS), 75pts worth of magic/arcane items makes up for this in my mind. Especially looking at how many bound spells you can buy from the common magic items. To be honest I wasn't too dissatisfied with the current (DS) rules, I just thought they should enable the Daemonic engines to re-roll their miscasts (even once per game would be nice).

In the case of Bull Centaurs, they really do need to go back to two wounds. My reasoning for this is two fold: Firstly until the advent of unit strength, Bull Centaurs were always two wound models. Secondly, since the recent changes to cavalry they lack both hitting and staying power. While I realize that this last part is the case for most, if not all armies, Bull Centaurs are not meant to play like normal cavalry. Now obviously this will require a point hike, but at two wounds they would become a much more unique and iconic choice for our armies. Raising the point cost of one of our units would also placate any naysayers who may protest the large number of point drops in the new list.

Lastly, I would like to express my extreme pleasure in this list in general. Kevin and Matt have done a superb job of balancing this very diverse army, and it is truly a credit to them both that we debate any changes so actively.
JavlinVII

Postby wizuriel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:42 am

Anyone else find the Master and Servant really annoying? I find I've been spending most of my points in core because I have to buy chaos dwarf units and because of the meta in 8th need some cheap hobgoblin horde units. After that I have very little points left for something like immortals. Just seems no matter how much they are changed after spending points on core I can't afford them. I know this is suppose to be a chaos dwarf army; but, fluff wise they did go into battle with hordes of hobgoblins to throw at their enemies. Any chance changing the rule to something like 50% of your army must be chaos dwarf units? Still forces people to take the chaos dwarf units, but at least it won't be so heavy based on the core units.

edit: Also in light of the high elf errata Armor of the Furnace might want to be changed to giving a 2+ ward save against flaming attacks instead of straight up immunity.
wizuriel

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:54 pm

Yes, Armor of the Furnace should definitely be a 2+ now.
WickerNipple

Postby termi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:38 am

I have question abut Kollossus. In Kollossus rules update you say he is war machine but in Troop Types classifications you say he is monster so which one he is. Second what abut characteristic tests can he use heroes or Crew or his own statistic to make a test like monster or he fails all test automatically like normal war machine if he fail automatic what abut hero is he slain.

PS.
Sorry if I made any grammar mistakes.
termi

Postby KevinC » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:42 am

Termi, thanks!

The Kollossus is a War Machine, though still uses the crew/character for characteristic tests.
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby termi » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:21 pm

One more question you write that he use annihilators or characters statistic but can he use his own strength for test?
termi

Postby KevinC » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:03 pm

another nice catch, right I mean the highest of crew/character/tower. Thanks!
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby Manicpsychotic » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Hey first post here. I'm a regular on the warhammer forum but wanted to help iron out CD kinks.

For the kollossus.
Currently it's M- so would use the crews movement of 3. Is this a mistake and should we use the movement value currently in the book?

How do magic items affect it when a character rides it? Would an enchanted shield give the model a 1+ save? Would the charmed shield affect the whole model or take effect when the character was the only remaining crew member? One if the chaos dwarf armors gives +1T would this increase the T of the whole model? Would the CD gauntlets that give +1S but rolls of 1 to hit hit the mount hit the kollossus as you are mounted on it or would they not as the character is in this case part of the model and not separate except for attacks? How do wards effect it? Does the healing potion?

Currently it's a war machine with an exception to just about every war machine rule except wounds = crew remaining. It might be simpler to make it a unique unit rules wise if you are just trying to avoid it having a monsters thunderstomp.

Questions about other parts of the book.

Should chaos dwarf units that act like war machines deploy like them. Currently it seems you can out deploy your opponents by placing doom rockets and earthshakers one at a time where as opponent have to place all their warmachines at the same time.

Hope this helps you write the updated version of the book which I can't wait for.
Manicpsychotic

Postby Manicpsychotic » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:01 am

Ignore the bit about wards. I assume it works the same as for the cauldron and anvil.
Manicpsychotic

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion