Thinking of making a return

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Thinking of making a return

Postby Azgrund » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi guys, this is Nicolai who used to play dwarfs down at the Compleat Strategist about 4 or 5 years ago. I've been away from both NY and the hobby for a while now, but I'm back in town, I'm bored and lately I've been toying with the idea dusting off my dwarfs and offering up their heads for some bashing, to see if I still have a taste for it. Last time I played it was 6th edition, so I guess I'll need a briefing about major changes. Right now I'm thinking Saturdays might be the best time for me. Do I need to schedule a game or is there enough attendance for pick up games?

If you don't remember me, I am the short guy from Sweden, and my army has the distinction of having once been called "one of the two the cheesiest armies at the Warmonger Club" by Matt Birdoff!
Azgrund

Re: Thinking of making a return

Postby elrodogg » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:22 am

Hey Nicolai,

Good to hear you're coming back. It's nice to break out the bench. Saturdays get occasional gaming, Thursdays are the regular nights. You really should schedule a game on the boards if you plan on playing on the weekends.

There are a whole host of of changes to 8th edition. Open measurement, random charges distances (move +2d6 for infantry), casualties from the back (so everyone gets to strike), first two ranks fight in h2h, 2 ranks shoot, no +1 to hit large targets, stone throwers aren't guess anymore you just place the template, cannons you just place the first bounce, magic dice are determined by 2d6 (total is power dice, higher is dispel), dwarfs get a + something to dispel, musicians are huge this edition as they allow you to reform and them move, your bsb lets you reroll all leadership checks and not just break checks, scouts now just deploy 12+" away and can be in LOS, everything uses True Line of Sight, as well as many other changes. Enjoy!
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby WeeDawgNYC » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Hey Nic, are you the guy with the nicely painted army that was considering retirement because of your loss to win ratio? I mean, when I first started going to the strat about 4-5 years ago my 1st game was against a short guy with a beautifuly painted dwarf army (complete with custome oathstone) & I was using an unpainted lizardmen army. was that you?
WeeDawgNYC

Postby Azgrund » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:37 pm

Hey Ronen, those changes sound great! More dice for everyone! I think I wanna try that, I wonder how dwarves pan out in that setting.

@WeeDawg: Hi, no that wouldn't be me. I actually had a 15-0 win streak when I first came to the US! After the cheese came out of my army and kept it strictly composed according to Rogue Trader tournament "perfect comp", I had about a 50/50 ratio.

What drove me away from WFB was rather the cheesiness built into the game itself, too much time spent chasing flying monsters, to little infantry engagement (I guess you got to expect that when playing dwarfs though).

Ok, maybe I'll swing by on a thursday then to see if I can get into the swing of things.
Azgrund

Postby Guy In Suit » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:40 pm

If you like Dwarves and you like Infantry, you will love yourself some 8th Edition.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby The Gunslinger » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:39 pm

Nicolai!! Glad your back. I still have your D&D dwarf next to mine. :) I'm on the train now so maybe we'll meet there & catch up over a beer. Can't believe it's been 4-5 yrs!
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby Azgrund » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:37 am

Hey Lou, good to hear from you. Couldn't make it yesterday, but hopefully someday soon we'll have a beer and talk about old times!
Azgrund

Postby Azgrund » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:08 am

So, anyone up for a game tomorrow, for me to learn the new rules?
Azgrund

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:54 pm

Nicolai! Nidal here. Glad to hear you're back. You missed my whole high-elf career which would have made for battles as epic as our dwarf/orc clashes, I'm sure. In any case, I'm out of the hobby for at least a while at the moment (the game's gotten too random for my tastes) but I hear good things about dwarves (now that they move pretty much as fast as everyone else).

If you ever come down on Thursdays, make sure to post, and don't forget the obligatory after-game drinking phase at the bar.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Azgrund » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Hey Nidal, good to hear from you too! Yes, too bad I missed your pointy phase, elves vs dwarves usually made for fun games back in the day. Bet you missed Sauron though! I'll try make time to come by on a Thursday soon. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the Strat, or during the drinking phase! Cheers.
Azgrund

Next

Return to Warmonger Club