United Space Marine Corps - Painting Blog - Entry 5 (To1G)

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

United Space Marine Corps - Painting Blog - Entry 5 (To1G)

Postby Anger Worm » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:12 pm

So one month ago it was proposed that intrepid volunteers take up a painting challenge that would eventually lead to an entire army for Warhammer Fantasy. I've been burnt out on Fantasy since the ETC and release of 8th edition, so despite several projects I had in mind, I was really bent on doing something for an entirely different gaming system. Luckily, one needed only look 40,000 years ahead. Some discussion, dissent and a healthy amount of cajoling replaced Fantasy with 40k and the challenge was cemented. Each challenger would produce a predesignated amount of models per month, the first being this October past, and blog about it on our site. "Cool", said I, "count me in."

Right, so I dun' committed myself to a blog. First thing, which army to paint? I decided right away that I would abhor buying any new models given my enormous pile-o-plastic (really multiple piles, boxes, bags, trunks, vaults, etc.) and my empty wallet. What's cool, easily acquired, and I (like so many in this hobby) already have a ton of? Space Marines! I'm certain every single player to ever grace the battlefields of the grim, dark future has owned Space Marines at some point. I happened to have a Metric Ass Tonne of them, albeit in strange proportions (like 40 Terminators on sprue, but no land speeders, a couple of Land Raiders, but no other tanks). This was a good place to start for easy collecting.

I also happened to have an idea of what I wanted to do with them. Hmm, let me see, Space Marines, space marines... Marines... in Space! US Marines-IN-SPACE! Genius, Jarrett, genius. Excepting a few dozen nations and about a million babies, who doesn't like the Marines? My theme was decided.

Eureka!

Now for this to work I'd have to keep the paint scheme dead simple (I have serious ADD when it comes to painting), but it would also have to represent the real US Marine Corps. I wanted something gritty and utilitarian, something not exactly realistic, but evoking realism. And there was No Fucking Way I was going to attempt to paint digital camo. Besides, painting successful camouflage is exactly the opposite of what you want to do for tabletop miniatures. Fortunately, one of the most iconic color schemes of modern military is also one of the simplest. Good ol' Olive Drab. I'd be hearkening way back to the 20th century, sure, but it would meet my criteria perfectly. Unfortunately this wasn't my first idea, and I squandered the first half of October fiddling with a ceremonial Corps Dress Blues pattern on my tactical squad. That said, I eventually came to my senses. There's little room for ceremony during a battle.

Last thing I needed was a name. USMC would be great to letter here and there throughout the army. I needed a word bigger and more future-y than states, one that starts with an S. Space starts with an S. They would be the United Space Marine Corps! AARUGHA!

So with that I painted my first model...

I was pretty pleased with the scheme. After basing the model with Testors Flat Olive Drab I applied base colors and then a generous amount of carefully applied Devlan Mud. I then went back over the model making minor corrections and picking out a few things here and there like purity seals, eyes and other details. The last stage is a generous helping of battle damage.

Having two blank shoulder pads would not do at all, so I decided to try my hand at freehand painting the Marine Corps emblem. I tweaked the famous Eagle, Globe and Anchor by adding an Imperial twin eagle head to the scheme, because what's better than an eagle? A motherfucking-twin-headed eagle.

Before I get to painting anything I come up with an army list I'm happy with so I have a place to start planning out what I need to get done. At the core of any Space Marine army are sergeants with hulking power fists. "You! Yeah, you. You're about to get your grape smashed."

I also decided that, besides scouts, there'd be no fuckers without their damn helmets. In the nightmarish future I don't know what moron doesn't wear a helmet. No morons in my Corps.

The Compleat Combat Squad + Sergeant

I've also been working on a combat squad of scouts. These guys are nearly complete, but not quite ready for their final photographs. Here's a preview:

As you can see, I attempted to sculpt green-stuff eight pointed covers on the scouts since as recon infantry they eschew heavy armor for stealth and mobility. They're pretty far for perfect, but that's about as good as I could manage without devoting hours and/or slitting my wrists.

I also replaced all the scout pistols with old-school boltguns. They look more compact than the modern ones, perfect for light travel and close-quarter engagements when operating in enemy lines. In order to get them to fit, I cut off their stocks and glued them to the inside of each weapon for a collapsible look.

Here's a closeup of the converted sergeant with a power fist.

Mid-stage.
Last edited by Anger Worm on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Re: United Space Marine Corps - Painting Blog - Entry 1 (To4

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:23 pm

:?
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby deFl0 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:07 am

I like the field hats on the scouts.
deFl0

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:19 am

Hats look great.

Models in general are a bit Drab - which is obviously the goal, but I feel you need to do something to make them pop a bit more. A lining effect or something focal like ridiculous american flag shoulder pads. :lol:
WickerNipple

Postby mauleed » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:29 am

I like it. My only input is you need more contrast on the basing. Maybe orangish grass.

And if you threw a banner guy in each unit holding an American flag that would really make it pop.
mauleed

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 am

Ya that could work.

I really do like the scheme quite a lot, it just needs something to excite it up a touch.
WickerNipple

Postby elrodogg » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Last edited by Anger Worm on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:42 am, edited 17 times in total.

I think you need to edit it a little more. It will help the quality of the miniatures.

I agree with what others say. It could use a little something here or there to make it pop.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:03 pm

I really like it, I just think the emblem should be brighter/more noticable.

maybe pick it out with copper or gold?

2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby mauleed » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:53 pm

I agree with Mr. Weakland. If you change the color of the emblem it would make a big difference. Perhaps you could do that different colors to do your squad markings.
mauleed

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:24 pm

I hear you guys about the need for more contrast. I think the easiest way for me to do this is through the bases. As you can see on the missile launcher guy I was trying some orange-reddish foliage for the base which I mostly removed. I'll be experimenting more there.

Also, I feel like they could use more battle damage. I was afraid of doing too much at first, but I see places where it would highlight the edges of the armor plating. The grittier the better. Both this and the foliage don't affect the models drabness, but will give each model a bit more to draw the eye.

Some things I'm just stuck on keeping realistic, like the symbol. It may be very subtle, but I feel it's quite evocative. I have several flag motifs I'm planning to apply to banners or vehicles. I will probably do a little Iwo Jima tribute as well. I'm still mulling over squad markings. They'll be on the opposite shoulder and probably a beige/light brown. Thanks for all of the input!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting