Dragon Age for PS3 - That's right, I went there !

From politics to poetry, if it isn't covered in one of the other forums and you want to share it with us, put it here.

Dragon Age for PS3 - That's right, I went there !

Postby Amazonwarlord » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:46 am

know what? I played DA on my laptop up until Redcliff and storming the castle there. Got a good way through the castle when malfunction got in the way.

So, not having another PC I decide to buy the PS 3 version of the game. I was amazed. I really expected it to skimp but it has not disappointed me. I have done the Circle Tower and brought Wynne back to Redcliff, now up to having killed the Broodmother in the Deep Roads. I still have DL'able content too as part of my package. The only thing that takes a little getting used to is the pause while in combat thing/ micromanaging battles. I had stopped doing that so much anyway so I don't really miss the ease of doing it on the PC version.

Content is absolutely identical. If you have not a PC and want to play this game do not fear the PS3 version. It is still just as great and detailed.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Re: Dragon Age for PS3 - That's right, I went there !

Postby Guy In Suit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:14 am

I've been playing my roommates PS3 a fair bit since my Xbox lacks wifi, and the controller is less terrible once you've had a month to get used to it ;)

But yeah, the amount you have to pay to get a graphically superior PC in a decent Form Factor still bodes well for consoles, even though their graphics tech hasn't changed in half a decade. Its actually very surprising.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:33 am

The content itself is totally the same.

The interface, ability to zoom out to the tactical view and the game difficulty are wildly different (no friendly fire in consoles is huge, for example).
WickerNipple

Postby Guy In Suit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:01 am

The forced micro-management I endured while running a party with two mages who specialized in area effects was one of the things that drove me nuts in that game. A big other one was the overheating of my 1GB graphics card, which was a surprise.

I will look for this in the used section next time i encounter a gamespot.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:36 am

You just put it on easy mode for the PC and there's no friendly fire. Easy on the PC is the same setting as normal on the xbox.
WickerNipple

Postby Amazonwarlord » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:08 pm

no friendly fire in consoles is huge, for example

Are you saying there IS no friendly fire in console? Or that you can't make it so there is no friendly fire?

I know that for PS3 you can change the difficulty settings with easy supposedly not having friendly fire but I still noticed it on certain spells like Wynne's earthquake. You can definately have it on normal and hard mode with full friendly fire possible.

But yeah, I miss the camera angle options certainly, but not that much to even look into fixing my laptop or buying a new one. I was just amazed at how much the same the games were as I know a lot of console game mock ups off of PC games really suffer in the depth-of-content aspect. Here, I am thoroughly pleased and having a blast.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:16 pm

There's less distinction between them now that games are often designed for the consoles instead of the other way around. Bioware does this a lot lately ~ DA:O and ME feel very "consolely" even on the PC. There is a decent graphical and interface gulf, but it's not as wide as with other games for sure. The fixed perspective on the consoles is what I found so undesireable for DA:O.

Friendly Fire is quite different though. Unless you change the setting it doesn't show up in the console game.

FF per difficulty setting:

Casual PC: 0% PS3/XBox: 0%
Normal PC: 50% PS3/XBox: 0%
Hardcore PC: 100% PS3/XBox: 50%
Nightmare PC: 100% PS3/XBox: 100%

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Difficulty_Settings
WickerNipple

Postby Amazonwarlord » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:25 pm

I agree on the fixed perspective. FF is not an issue for me so, yippee! I almost always play games on the easiest mode.

Thanks for sharing that link though, good to know should I find a reason to worry about it.

What's ME?
Amazonwarlord

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Mass Effect
WickerNipple

Postby Amazonwarlord » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:07 pm

Ah, thanks, couldn't work that one out.
Amazonwarlord

Next

Return to Off Topic