Can anyone suggest a good Dremmel? And a good pin vise?

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Can anyone suggest a good Dremmel? And a good pin vise?

Postby Larro » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:35 am

Looking into buying one of these. Anyone have any experience with one?

Also, can anyone suggest a proper pin vise? For some reason, I'm having trouble using my pin vise to dig through metal models these days. The vise holds the bit for a while, but eventually becomes a little loose and I need to then open and re-screw the stupid top portion. Are there any powered pin vises/mini-drills to use for pinning metal models?

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Re: Can anyone suggest a good Dremmel? And a good pin vise?

Postby DiceDogsPete » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 am

Larry, check out micromark. They make pretty good quality tools. I bought a pin vice from them about 6 or 7 years ago and it works great, I never have any problems. Worst case the bit dulls and you order a new one. They also carry dremmels, but I have no experience with theirs specifically.

RE: Power drilling fine scale models, any problems you might have will be because of the bits - too much friction will melt the ones commonly used in pin vices. Of course, U can find higher quality bits and even use a regular power drill assuming you secure the model in a vice and work carefully.
DiceDogsPete

Postby ZiggyQubert » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:54 am

When it comes to drilling I use a variable speed cordless drill, never had a problem with it, just hold the model in your fiongers and be carefull.

Of cource if you are getting a dremel you can use the dremel as a drill and kill 2 birds with one stone!

I use a plugin variable speed dremel made by dremel (not sure whitch one exactly) but any of there dremels are good, I would not recomend a cordless dremel as they tend to lack some punch (which you need if you are dealing with metal alot) and tend to run out of power when you need them.
:spacesharks: :Hamelin: :Lilith: Brookie
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Postby Guy In Suit » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:00 pm

I love my cordless dremel, it can do a solid run before needing a recharge. I also just hold the modes in my hand.

The hardest part for me is finding and keeping good bits. They tend to be shitty and break a lot, or just get dull and take forever.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Also have to highly recommend the cordless variety.

They added a lithium ion version last year that's a huge improvement over earlier cordless options.
WickerNipple

Postby Anger Worm » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Amazon.com
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Return to Modeling and Painting