Casting Question

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Casting Question

Postby OtherGary » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:04 am

For those that cast bits: What's the durability of casted bits like sword blades or generally long, thin and pointed bits? I want to make over my Dreadnoughts' fist fingers with the blades from the Defiler's pincer arms' serrated blades, but I only have 4 but need 8 more. I was thinking about renewing my casting supplies to cast them but then I started to wonder about how easily they could snap or break or have their points chip off versus the much tougher original plastic part. I've only ever casted thick or square-ish bits before and those last just fine but I'm not so sure about thin items.

BTW, if anyone has clipped those blades off their own Defilers and saved them in their bits box, let me know if you'd want to trade/sell them to me.
OtherGary

Re: Casting Question

Postby deFl0 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:46 am

I think there are different grades of resin, but usually not good for something like a sword. However the defiler stuff is pretty beefy. You would probably be ok. From my casting experience the light yellow casting stuff is a little flexible and good for chunkier casts. But I high school I made pestils for electrophoresis with fiber glass resin and they were hard ass hell. I would consider using something like that. Although fiberglass resin is crazy hard to work with post cure.

BTW - are you talking about the claw on defiler? Or the spines on the legs / arms of the defiler?
deFl0

Re: Casting Question

Postby OtherGary » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks for the information, Pete. I meant the spine blades on the arms and the legs of the defiler.
OtherGary

Return to Modeling and Painting