So, Black

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

So, Black

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:32 pm

How do you like to paint it? How do you make it look awesome?
Emperors Reckoning

Re: So, Black

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:45 pm

For me it depends on whether or not it's supposed to be a hard surface or a soft surface.

Soft surfaces get some sort of feathering or even controlled drybrushing around the curves where hard surfaces just get minimal straight lines.

Then it's just a progression of paints from V's "Black Grey" down to an actual grey grey with however many super thin ink washes it takes me to be happy that the black in shadow is actually black. For some models this is just one or two. For ones where the black is really important this might be as many as 10.

You can then use glazes to add a little color and substance on top of the greyscale progression. I usually add a hint of brown or blue depending on the model.
WickerNipple

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:31 pm

You want to determine what tone of black you're going for. There's neutral grey scale black and blue-black. The neutral scale goes from black, mixing with greys like stonewall and codex until you get your final highlight. The blue scale goes from black to black with shadow gray, progressing up to a final touch of space wolf. Which you go for should depend on the colors you're using on the rest of the model, and whether you need it to look 'colder' or neutral.

Of late I've incorporated Badab Black washes into my black painting. I find this is particularly useful on black cloth as it smooths out the paint layers which reproduces the muddled shading of fabric.

As for the bit about making it awesome I think the key is restraint. Your initial black or black-grey is the tone you want to see a lot of, as over highlighting changes the color. Don't be afraid to make the majority of the color you see an actual mix of black and grey rather than straight black if its looking too basic primer-like.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:54 pm

For my black Legion beasts I like to start two coats of thinned down black paint with a little pro-liquitex added over a white primer. It makes seeing the places to highlight a hell of a lot easier... and honestly looks pretty good from the get go if I were to feel lazy... We will see how much I have left to do in the final weeks before Adepticon...
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Where are you getting your pro-liquitex and is that what you are thinning with?
Emperors Reckoning

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:27 pm

I use like Half Paint Half water and a drop or two of the stuff to break surface tension.

I actually use Blick's house brand, as its cheap and exactly the same. You can also use Future Floor wax like andy. I forget exactly what mine is called will check when I get home, but it looks great and doesnt make it as shiny as floor wax
Guy In Suit

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:39 pm

I assume Weakolas is talking about a Retarder or Flow-Aid of some sort. Liquitex is just the company name.

There's dozens and dozens of different products to change the consistency, thickness, drying times, etc etc of acrylic mediums.

For miniature painting you're generally interested in two effects: either increasing or decreasing surface tension depending on whether you want the medium to sit on top or recede down into the creases.

Then it's just a matter of finding a product that works for you and experimenting with how much to use. I like Future for decreasing and V's Glaze Medium for increasing, often but not always with water added too depending on what you're up to. It's worth playing around til you find what works for you.
WickerNipple

Postby elrodogg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:33 pm

In terms of a primer... I love Rustoleum Flat Black spray paint available at Home Depot. I use that as my primer and then do straight highlights from there (then inks and blah blah blah).
elrodogg

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:01 pm

I never realized glazed medium increases surface tension... Will definitely be trying it the next time I paint hair.
Guy In Suit

Postby deFl0 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:02 pm

I use Golden additives acrylic flow release (aka flo aid)with my paint. Future floor wax works well too for really thin layers. Finally I find 'Ard coat is the best thing to mix with inks.

BTW - The WD I mentioned actually has an article on painting black that I wanted to read. It's 3 third way to do black where you actually use dark blue highlights on the armor edge instead of the blue blacks that Jarrett mentioned.
deFl0

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting