United Space Marine Corps - Painting Blog - Entry 5 (To1G)

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: United Space Marine Corps - Painting Blog - Entry 2 (To4

Postby WeeDawgNYC » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:11 am

Its mid month, lemme see some more stuff..lol

those scouts look mint, I like the added touch of the baby sea monkey spawn to the bases.
WeeDawgNYC

Postby slann » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:22 pm

So far looking tight , I love the scouts they look awesome . Desert sand bases might. Make an awesome contrast , but I like the bases your going with now too .
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Postby mannahnin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:41 am

Those are frickin' sweet, Jarrett. The additional color from the pouches really helps.
mannahnin

Postby WeeDawgNYC » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:40 am

mannahnin wrote:The additional color from the pouches really helps.

I totally agree :orc thumb:
WeeDawgNYC

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:48 pm

<3
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Re: United Space Marine Corps - Painting Blog - Entry 3 (To1

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:37 am

A new update!

When I set out to do this army I had a goal of bringing it to Adepticon. I decided to stick with that goal in some fashion and self motivate by signing up for Adepticon's Sunday 400pt Combat Patrol tournament. Unfortunately 5 Scouts and 6 Tac marines does not a Combat Patrol make, so I got back in gear and decided to complete two Landspeeder Storms.

I had another goal when I set out to do this army, and that was to spend as close to $0.00 on it as possible. With that in mind, and a loose idea of a conversion, I put out a call for old rhino chassis. My plan: to scratch build the Storms using the chassis, bitz and plasticard and magnetize them for multi-purpose use. I wish I knew where the half-torn post-it note that had the original concept design was, as they actually wound up pretty much exactly like it. The rhino hull keeps it looking in line with the typically blocky Imperial flyers, Piranha engines suited the wings perfectly, and plasticard sliding doors should clue my opponent in on the speeders transportive nature.

Without further adieu, here are the speeders after initial construction:

As you can see I settled on a modular weapon mount in the front of the hull made out of two levels of plasticard filled with green stuff. I mounted a magnet inside the plasticard roof for the missile mount so I could convert the speeders to Typhoons using some random missile bitz from a long-gone toy of my misbegotten youth.

One of the difficulties with the scratch-build was keeping the speeders nearly identical in their components.

Here they are finally finished. They took a bit longer than I initially anticipated. I want to up the damage level on the army overall, so I was a bit more focused on getting the speeders looking authentically beat up. I also wasn't used to this amount of flat surface area, and since these are the first vehicles I've painted I had some learning to do.

Storm configuration w/ converted multi melta:

Typhoon configuration w/ H. Bolter & Typhoon ML:

That puts me past the halfway point for Adepticon 40k! Silly me, I also plan on finishing up an ogre project for the Fantasy 1k. With 2 weeks to go I'm cutting things close!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby slann » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:36 am

Looks awesome ! Those came out really good . but check the rules I think you could only have a total of 12 armor all together so only 1 vehicle per combat patrol list .
slann

Postby ampao » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:01 pm

diggin it. looks great! like the battle damage and such.
ampao

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:58 pm

James, you should reread those rules yourself. It's 12 armor max for dedicated transports, 11 for other vehicles. There is no vehicle cap, only an armor and selection slot cap.

Also, I did a quick change on the hoods of the hull weapons from green to brown to keep them in line with the leather pouches of the rest of the army. After having another look at the photos I thought it needed a little something to break up that green.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby slann » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:15 pm

Yes that does look better that little splash of color makes a huge impact .

cool that gives me an idea for some sentinals , I didnt sign up for combat patrol but might bring one for pick ups .
slann

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting