Wood Elf Painting Blog

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Wood Elf Painting Blog

Postby jer732 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Given that my Wood Elves were soooooooo 7th edition and also considering that I only had exactly 2250 I decided to paint some additional models to bring my list more in line with 8th. Over the past few months I have been working on some new units, so I figured I would post my progress.

First, I have one quick pic of a new unit of dryads. They are slightly different from my other two units, so each looks distinct. They weren't different enough for me to want to document the process, so just one picture:

Pretty bad picture wasn't really expecting to post, but I thought what the hell?

Next, is a project I have been thinking about for a few years, but I coudln't bring myself to do it given that I had enough painted for 7th. Trying to develop my creative skillz, I decided to undertake my first sculpt in the form of a TREEMAN! Having no experience with this I scoured the web for some guides and actually found a great one for making entshttp://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:SkbcxUEtUdAJ:www.one-ring.co.uk/kb.php%3Fa%3D122+sculpting+ents&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

With this as my guide and the following picture as my inspiration, I embarked on this challenge:

Here are some pictures of my first few steps. As you can see I am going for a very "deep" grainy bark, very unlike the ent in the guide I found. I found that using the clay sharpers, which James suggested to me a few years ago, to be invaluable. http://www.clayarttools.com/clayarttools/images/tools_ds07.jpg
They are great because they don't stick to green stuff at all. Another tool I used frequently was my trusty old hobby knife, which helped my to add some texture to the bark. I found that the flat end of the metal scuplting tool mentioned in the guide was too thick to achieve the results that I wanted.

I built my armature using wire from Home Depot. I take it that art stores actually sell armature wire, but the Home Depot shit was really cheap. I put my treeman on a a 50mm resin base from back to base-ix. As you may be able to tell from the paint pots next to the model, this guy is fucking huge (like me). He shoulf be called a TREE FUCKING MONSTER, treemen are pussies. I will upload some pictures with him next to some other models for better scale.

For now this is all I am going to post. I have in fact finished this guy, but he is going to make he debut at Colonial, so stay tuned for more updates!
Last edited by jer732 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jer732

Re: Wood Elf Painting Blog

Postby ampao » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:50 pm

So where is it?! @.@ I wanna see.
ampao

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:52 pm

The start of those legs is fantastic.

Toe root things should be bigger, they look a wee silly, but otherwise that's stellar My First Sculpture.
WickerNipple

Re: Re: Wood Elf Painting Blog

Postby jer732 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:01 pm

WickerNipple wrote:The start of those legs is fantastic.

Toe root things should be bigger, they look a wee silly, but otherwise that's stellar My First Sculpture.

Lol guess I should have posted sooner for feedback

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
jer732

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:05 pm

I didn't realize you'd finished it already til I reread the post.

What sort of sillyhead whips out a teaser work in progress when the thing's actually done already? :lol:
WickerNipple

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:14 pm

I embarked on this challenge:

LOL .. punny.

Looking great !
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby jer732 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:57 pm

So I forgot to finish this...Here are the final pics!

Treeman's ass

One arm!

Same arm!

Other arm

The face emerges

Add detail to the face

Some dryad bits for the extra detail

Some more armature to add claws

and some branches

Wanted to make it look like some spites were living inside the treeman

was originally going to paint it all grayish but realized it was too boring

Let's call this the last one

And now here is the recent work I have done on my treekin. These are NOT finished yet :lol: so feel free to post comments as I post more pics

I can't believe they all fit together! These guys are all about the size of a normal GW treeman so I had to do some fiddling to make sure they were balanced and weren't touching.

More to come! Crossroads is coming...err..or is that winter?
jer732

Postby Amazonwarlord » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 am

Wow! That is an awesome scratch built dude !! Can't wait to see those treekin.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Return to Modeling and Painting