Warmachine outsells Fantasy. Malifaux in 3rd place.

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Warmachine outsells Fantasy. Malifaux in 3rd place.

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Not that surprising but big news none-the-less.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/20179.html

Wish they'd go into more details so you could tell what the actual magnitude was. Particularly I wonder what the disparity is between 40k and fantasy.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Re: Warmachine outsells Fantasy. Malifaux in 3rd place.

Postby mikeatshowcase » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:27 am

ICV2 polls are actually just crap. Utter crap. Crap you wouldn't thow at a shit eating dog.

They can't go into magnitude because they don't have a clue. They don't use numbers, just 'feelings'. "HI there, guy-who-works-in-warehouse, what do you think are the top selling games?"

They don't have sales numbers from GW trade sales, so they don't know a damn thing about what I sold. They don't have sales numbers from GW stores. The only thing they have is some opinions from people in the industry, who don't have numbers either.

This crap has been coming out for years, from ICV2 and back in ComicsandGamesRetailer magazine. No numbers, and not even good ranked data from any type of sample. I used to be able to 'adjust' CGR poll numbers by just sending in my numbers. One store should not be able to move rankings up and down. They had a sample size sometimes in the single digits.

I've done the math before using GW's sales figures from annual reports and % from details I got from some of the higher ups. PP would love to have the sales of WFB, even now when they are down. Hell, PP could double it's own sales by hiring a couple more casters and catching up with orders. They are 3-6 months behind on distributor orders, which is why stores have some what limited stock. Just not making enough.
mikeatshowcase

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 am

It's a sample survey. That's what sample surveys do. It's a pretty standard tool for analysts to use for industries dominated by private companies.

I hear you about PP's lack of inventory though. I got a Forsaken for my legion army as part of a local trade. I thought It's be fun to maybe have another one and apparently they are sold out everywhere - so much so that they were even going for a mint on Bartertown.
Guy In Suit

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:14 pm

The other problem with that survey is that they exclude GW stores and websites from answering. :)

For what it's worth, Tabletopgamingnews.com's buying surveys consistently have the order like this:

1. Warmachine/Hordes
2. 40k
3. Malifaux
4. Fantasy
5. Infinity/ Flames of War

It's a small survey, just of readers of the site who obviously would not be GW-exclusive players. But I think at this point warmachine/hordes likely outsells Fantasy.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:40 pm

Well it is all a bit irrelevant as soon all shall tremble before the might of SUPER DUNGEON EXPLORE
Guy In Suit

Postby Kirika » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:19 pm

I remember hearing somewhere that the Space Marine Range alone outsells fantasy. So its not to unreasonable for Warmachine to outsell fantasy with the apathy given to 8th ed.
Kirika

Postby elrodogg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:10 am

Kirika wrote:I remember hearing somewhere that the Space Marine Range alone outsells fantasy. So its not to unreasonable for Warmachine to outsell fantasy with the apathy given to 8th ed.

It's not unreasonable, but GW never gives out those types of sales figures. Closest thing they give to sales figures is something like this: http://investor.games-workshop.com/downloads/results/results2011/2010-11_FinalHalfYearReport.pdf

North American sales - 13.7 million pounds as compared to the same period a year before where North America generated 14.8 million pounds of sales (half year ending in November). For all we know it was 200k of space marines, 200k of wood elves and 13.3 million pounds worth of Lord of the Rings Hobbits.

edit: did a little digging on the PP website. They look like a privately held company (not publicly traded) so they don't have to post sales data. Without concrete data, we'll never know. If anyone knows otherwise, please chime in.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:29 am

I believe they are organized as an LP. They are not a big outfit. They do have more than one manufacturing facility; the one in Washington, and one in Europe somewhere.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby mikeatshowcase » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:49 am

I think the other facility is in Ireland. Bob Watts (formerly at GW in the 80's, owner of Heartbreaker and Sabertooth, ran Ral Partha, briefly at WOTC) is running it. He had good luck setting up manufacturing there for heartbreaker, with Ireland doing a lot to get new industry in, and giving multi year tax breaks and subsidies.

Based on numbers I've gotten, 40k is still way ahead. PP may outsell WFB, that ones hard to tell. Malifaux definitely doesn't outsell WFB. FOW outsells Malifaux and Infinity easily. Hard to tell with Malifaux vs infinity, but in the states it's definitely Malifaux. So:

1 40k
2 PP
3 WFB
4 FOW
5 Malifaux
6 Infinity
mikeatshowcase

Return to Warmonger Club