Painting is hard

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Painting is hard

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Here's my progress on a CMON mini contest I am entering (in theory). She will also be part of my Collette crew for Malifaux when complete.

New found respect for those CMON painters. This shit is tough! Everything I think looks good in person looks 500x not as good in photos. Every minor screw up is amplified. Every stepped shading technique looks crap. Even 5-step shading isn't enough, like I tried to get away with on her black jacket. It's got to be 10+ steps wet blended or it photographs like crap.

Anyway, I'm reasonably pleased with the dress, hair and face. The jacket may warrant a redo. The basket and flowers need touch up. Her gun fell off when I was painting. Blah. There's a semi-elaborate base with a WANTED poster (with Dorothy) I need to do in freehand, so it may come down to time. I think the contest ends June 31 or so.

click on attachment for better resolution.
auscon 1.jpg
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: Painting is hard

Postby elrodogg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Model looks awesome in person I am sure, but your pics need more light. Could also use a bigger pic too.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Agreed. The model looks good but your pics are tiny, and your click-to-enhance is only like 10% larger. I'm really liking the red, and wish there were more of it. Might look good in place of or intermingled with the white.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby mattbird » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:10 pm

the problem with larger pics is that they just make every brush stroke bigger (bad). At least when the pics are model sized, they look like what I am seeing when I paint the thing.

Note that the white parts and half the other stuff is literally not painted yet. :)
mattbird

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:17 pm

More red! Bigger pics!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:18 pm

Maybe some blue in the black?

The flesh looks fantastic to me.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Amazonwarlord » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:11 am

the problem with larger pics is that they just make every brush stroke bigger (bad). At least when the pics are model sized, they look like what I am seeing when I paint the thing.

Well yes, but isn't that the point of the OP. I think you should give us some bigger pics as this is how the World Wide Web will see them unless one is at the judging in person.

Looks great so far!
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby mattbird » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:05 pm

Got a little more done tonight. I def need to figure out a good camera setup, cause this ain't it.

2 pics. First one is ACTUAL SIZE of mini. I held it up to the screen and made it exact size.

actual.jpg
actual.jpg (49.93 KiB) Viewed 830 times

This one is a blown up version. She looks fucking cross eyed! click to embiggen

DSC_0003.jpg

Anyway, I realized when doing a wash that the dog is a total robot, so now he has to be bronze, so the basket got a lot lighter as a result.
mattbird

Postby WeeDawgNYC » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Very nice bro!
WeeDawgNYC

Postby slann » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:43 pm

I agree to paint to the cmon contest standard is very hard , it is also hard to blend to a level that photos well . The black on the mini really stands out , you are going to have to really add way more blending to make it near what your red looks like (which looks great ) , I agree her eye's are off a bit . The basket looks great , as does the flowers , The dog is in the same boat as your blacks .

To make a good black that photos well , is probably more on the 20 layer level at least .

I have yet to really sit down and slowly paint figs to that level , but from what I have been reading and , just knowing by painting that's what I see .

I know alot of these painter spend weeks on models , as we who like to game with our figs want to push them out faster , I havnt spent more than 3 hours on a model in a long time .

she looks super awesome though !
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting