Painting is hard

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: Painting is hard

Postby mattbird » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:51 pm

OK, so I am reaching the end of my patience, and just need to finish this thing now. I definitely feel like I can paint better than this, but I don't think I can paint this model to the best of my ability. Too many tiny details, not enough area to paint flat areas, etc. It's just overall a bit too small as well. I think I'd do better with a heroic scale model.

Having said all that, I sorted out the base and most of the rest over the last few days, and the end is in sight! Obviously the gun needs doing, and I need to go back into some of the details. Then I need to get my photography setup down pat.

Click to embiggen!
DSC_0009.jpg
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby The Gunslinger » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:51 am

From the pics on the first page, I was going to suggest a different color that would blend better than black/grey for the jacket. I can't really tell from the most recent pic but did you change it to brown? Looks MUCH better. I was going to suggest a deep red, like I've seen Jen Haley do on the Emperor's Champion model, with very subtle highlights. But what you've done is great. The more I look at it, the more I see it's black. Must be wooden table it's on that threw me off at first.

I feel that the dog should get the slightest hint of mithral silver hightlights here & there. Subtle, to make seem more metallic cuz it's too close to beige/tan/yellow of the basket, so that metallic needs to stand apart from the earthen color right next to it. And should it's tongue be red? Not sure, since it's a robot.

Sweet freehand on the wanted poster. I feel like the cobblestones need something more. Are you done with them? Maybe have 2-3 of them a red-brown. IMO I'd rather see various shades of gray cobblestones mixed with a few red-browns. Not sure how it would go with the colors of the models. What you have meshs well, but brown stones... meh.

Looking forward to what you do with the gun! It looks like a little busy.

Not sure if you fixed the eyes, but it just looked like her left iris was a tad higher than the other. Anyway you can lower it?
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby deFl0 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:41 pm

It's considerably nicer in person too.
deFl0

Postby Anger Worm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:28 pm

I think the model is photographing well. Brown base is a good way to avoid more black/grey blending and I love that freehand poster. Color choices by and large are on the money. I had no idea that dog is a robot?

Looking forward to seeing this complete!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby slann » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 am

Looking super awesome the coat looks way better ( not sure if you fixed it or photoed it different ) . I agree with Jarret the colors chosen are awesome . I love the wanted poster as well , I see this doing really well in the contest . I have seen the gun done up with the barrel having a lens rather than a hole , and painted as if it was a Tesla weapon . your making me want to paint mine !
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Postby slann » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:25 am

Looking super awesome the coat looks way better ( not sure if you fixed it or photoed it different ) . I agree with Jarret the colors chosen are awesome . I love the wanted poster as well , I see this doing really well in the contest . I have seen the gun done up with the barrel having a lens rather than a hole , and painted as if it was a Tesla weapon . your making me want to paint mine !
slann

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:37 pm

I think barrel lense is a very cool idea. You should steal that Matt.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby mattbird » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks guys- the coat did not change, it's just the photo. Here are the latest pics, pretty much done at this point. Now off to figure out the best way to photograph it...

click all to embiggen

front.jpg

back.jpg
back.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 557 times

closeup.jpg
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Beautiful model! Congrats on finishing it. I think it'll do really well.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby slann » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Awesome looks great , love how the dress came out , and lovin the gun as well !
slann

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting