New but experienced player

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

New but experienced player

Postby Rygarie » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Hello all my name is Tom and have been in NYC for about a year looking for a war gaming group. I am navy veteran and have been out for a year attending school. I play most Games Workshop games, as such I have a Fantasy Wood Elf army that can go up to 2500 pts. I also have three 40K armies, a Eldar army that i can squeeze up to 2000 pts, a Tau army that could possible get to 2500 pts, and a mostly painted Ultramarines army that can go as high as 10,000 pts for Armageddon fights.

I also play a few Fantasy Flight games such as Wings of War (WWI and WWII), Mansions of Madness, Death Angel. I also enjoy Munchkin, Flux and of course D&D. I am also a collector of rare and weird card and board games. I am looking for a consistent group to play with on Thursdays and even Saturdays. More on Saturdays during the school year unless its not a busy week of homework. I am also interested in historical games, but have not started collecting yet.

I would love to meet up with some of you next Thursday and bring with me my Wood elf army, I would come sooner but I am working on finish putting together some units and getting them a base coated. I just want to test the water with my army before I dedicate anymore painting to these units. I am willing to do a 2500pt or a 2000pt game, I would rather not do a 1500pt game since I am working out the kinks in this army.

I live in Queens so its only a 20 or 30 min subway ride to the store, speaking of which this is the Complete strategist on 33rd st correct lol? Hope to see some of you soon and get my troops back on the table were they belong.
Rygarie

Re: New but experienced player

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:31 am

Yup, 33rd between 5th and Madison. We're down in the basement.

We've had several new people sign up and stop by in the last couple of weeks which is fantastic - and I'll give you the same advice and warning: GW game attendance is way way down. People are definitely still playing them but it's only been one or two tables a night. I urge you to set up games in the respective forums in order to be sure you'll find an opponent.

That having been said: welcome aboard! Feel free and encouraged to buff attendance for those games. As I said we've had several new folks in the last couple of weeks so there's certainly no reason to be shy. :)
WickerNipple

Postby Rygarie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:44 am

Thanks for the welcome! I have been a GW player for some years, I have seen warmachine games player ( even a store demo when it originally came out) but have never gotten a hold of any models. It looks fun but I have heard about balancing issues with certain armies. But I would love to try new games maybe I will give them a shot!
Rygarie

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:45 am

Malifaux!

:Teddy:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:59 am

Rygarie wrote:It looks fun but I have heard about balancing issues with certain armies.

Compared to GW? :lol: :lol:
WickerNipple

Postby Rygarie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:07 pm

True GW games have a lot of balancing issues but I think the new fantasy rules that came out do a lot for balance. I know Skaven and Chaos were running around messing up games with overpowered spells and behemoth Chaos Lords.
I hope to strike up an interest in warmachine looks and sounds fun!
Rygarie

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:02 pm

Overpowered Chaos?

Lords?

In 7th?

You will provide a divergent opinion to the group, that's for sure ;)
Guy In Suit

Postby Rygarie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:45 am

My opinion is based on play experience with a gaming group in Hawaii. As I found out the hard way most of the fantasy Players their played chaos and skaven. Now at the time I was playing my bretonians who I have been playing since the lance formation looked like a lance and bowmen could go into arrowhead formation. I was brutalized and molested by chaos and shaven. Now truth be told I watched a Chaos lord on a steed take a full 6 man charge of grail knights. Not only did he live through it he destroyed all of them. I even had my lord and a unit of 10 knights of the realm brought down by a chaos lord and a unit of knights. I do not want to speak of the losses to the skaven. After quite a few losses I decided to back away from fantasy for a bit and switched to 40k. Now I know these opinions are based on my experiences and lucky dice rolling of my chaos opponents it still shows the combat skills of a beefy chaos lord. Take it as you may but those are my experiences.
Rygarie

Postby Guy In Suit » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:10 am

Your experiences are very valid, I was just being cheeky. Single characters could be beastly in 7th and are no longer the threat they were, thats for sure.
Guy In Suit

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Don't worry Rygarie, you'll quickly learn never to listen to Image
WickerNipple

Next

Return to Warmonger Club