General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Postby Potatosalad » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was looking for tabletop gaming clubs here in the city and happened to stumble upon this little gem! I used to play 40K a long time ago, way back before college. Unfortunately, I had to stop because of a lack of both time and money. Now that I have a "real job," I'm interested in pursuing this hobby again.

I'm looking for an opinion or two on what game I should pick up. I had initially intended on playing WFB, but when browsing the boards here I've noticed a lack of interest in that particular game. I'm really open to pretty much anything. However, this can be an expensive hobby and I want to make sure that whatever game I invest in now will maintain interest for a decent while.

Thanks, and I hope to be gaming with some of you shortly!
Potatosalad

Re: New Member

Postby Guy In Suit » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:37 pm

:Teddy:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby elrodogg » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Hey! Welcome to the club. There is support for 4 games at the club currently. Warmachine and malifaux are currently the two biggest games. Warhammer and 40k both get some support as well. Of all those games, malifaux has the lowest start-up cost. You can get the book and almost all the faction models you'll need for about $100.

Come down and see for yourself.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Welcome aboard: stop by and say hello.

The club's biggest interest at the moment is Warmachine/Hordes, but you can certainly find support for others.
WickerNipple

Postby Potatosalad » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I don't live far from the Compleat Strategist (that's where you guys game right?) so I'll be sure to stop by and check out the gaming. Are Saturdays generally pretty good to check out some gaming?
Potatosalad

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Yes, the basement of the Compleat Strategist. They can point the way, it's a bit hidden.

Our main club night is Thursday ~ people usually start arriving 5ish and they're open til 9 ~ but you will often find people playing Saturdays too. We usually recommend you arrange games ahead of time for Saturdays.
WickerNipple

Postby SteveinNYC » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Folks are playing Infinity as well, mostly on Saturdays.

I'd start by figuring out the games you like the minis for, and then pick based on popularity.
SteveinNYC

Postby Potatosalad » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks again everyone. I looked through the Warmachines/Hordes miniature range and it looks pretty interesting. Since that seems to be pretty popular, I might give it a try. Now I just have to figure out my faction and get some models! Hope you guys are ready to beat on a new guy for a while.
Potatosalad

Postby Guy In Suit » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Warmahordes is fun. But Malifaux's got mo' style.

Really you should stop by and watch a few games and see what suits you most. Who knows - It might be something silly and obscure - like Dystopian Wars! :mrgreen:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Anger Worm » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:31 am

The majority of miniature wargaming happens on Thursdays after 5pm. Any given Thursday you'll always see a lot of Warmahordes, and a variety of other games. As far as selecting a game I'd say start with anything but Warhammer Fantasy right now, as that's had a harsh and steady decline since 8th.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Return to Warmonger Club