NEWCC 2011- Nov 12, Manchester, CT

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

NEWCC 2011- Nov 12, Manchester, CT

Postby mannahnin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 pm

NEWCC 2011
Welcome to NEWCC! A glorious event going back a decade or so, the North East Warhammer Club Challenge represents the joyous tradition of clubs meeting up to test each other’s mettle, ogle each other’s models, and claim bragging rights among our peers and others who love the hobby.

As last year’s event was Warhammer 40,000, this one is Warhammer Fantasy Battle. As normal, clubs participating must be capable of organizing, officiating, and hosting the event next year if they win. Next year, as is tradition, the title will be decided by 40k once again. Our aim is to have a competitive tournament, but even more importantly to have a great gaming day with other clubs, showing off our armies, throwing the dice in camaraderie, and hopefully sharing beer and war stores afterward.

To enter, a club should contact Alex Fennell at aglfennell73 AT hotmail.com . Bear in mind that a club should only enter if they are capable of hosting the event next year, running a Warhammer 40,000 tournament for four man teams (although it does not have to match the exact format of this year's) to carry on the glorious tradition. The entry fee is $10 per player to go towards prize support. Last year's champions, the Cold Steel Mercenaries, will attempt to defend the cup in our less-adept system, and invite all challengers!

Where & When
NEWCC 2011 will be hosted by The Battle Standard, 1540 F Pleasant Valley Road, in lovely Manchester CT. This is a plaza mall, the same plaza as Toys R Us, and near Olive Garden and KFC.

The date is November 12th 2011 (schedule below).

Rules!

Each club participating must field a four man team, each using a different army book. Any current army book may be used. In lieu of Composition or similar scoring mechanic, to bring slightly more parity between the books how many points a given player may field will be dependent on which book they are bringing.

Terminology notes
Team = The entire four man group.
Alliance = A combination of two players/Armies for a given game.
Army = The force fielded by one player within a Team or Alliance.

The format this year will be three rounds of doubles. Each round a given Team will be paired against another Team, and play two simultaneous doubles games. The first round pairings will be random, and subsequent rounds paired by the Swiss system (closest battle point totals are paired against one another). Each team MUST use all three of their possible pairing combinations (Alliances) over the course of the day, but they may choose which Alliance to use when.

Player A + Player B AND Player C + Player D
Player A + Player C AND Player B + Player D
Player A + Player D AND Player B + Player C

Example: During round 1, the judges announce that the “Bay State Brawlers” will be playing against the “Pennsylvania Pencilnecks”, on tables 9 & 10. Each team then advises the judges of which combinations of players they are using this round (“Tom & Jerry on table 9, Balki & Larry on table 10”). They cannot repeat that combination of Alliances in rounds 2 or 3.

Army List Rules
The following armies may field up to 1000pts:
Daemons of Chaos, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Skaven, Vampire Counts

The following armies may field up to 1200pts:
Beastmen, Brettonians, Wood Elves

All other armies may field up to 1100pts. As a note, the Indy GT Dwarves of Chaos army book will be allowed.

Special characters may only be taken with permission. Email the TO.

300 points maximum may be spent per unit.

Shooting is capped at 3 warmachines per army (two-for-ones count as 1 choice) and 30 ranged infantry/cavalry per army (thrown weapons do not count), or a max of 20 ranged infantry/cav who have the Multiple Shots rule.

Any given Common Magic Item from the rulebook may be taken once per team.

Magic Item Banned List
Folding fortress
Infernal Puppet
Favor of the Gods
Pendent of Khaleth
Sacrificial Dagger
Cupped Hands
Focused Rumination
Drakenhoff Banner
Storm Banner
Doom Rocket
Van Horstman’s Speculum
Book of Hoeth
Vortex Shard
Hellheart

Game Play Rules

True LOS is in effect per the book; there are no abstractions of area terrain or hills.

Alliances
During each game each Alliance will function as Trusted Allies, per page 137 of the rulebook.

General
To clarify, there will be one General for each Alliance; as normal, this is the Lord or Hero with the highest Leadership, and the Alliance may choose before the game in the event of a tie. This model must be announced to the opposing team before deployment begins. Normal prohibitions on certain characters not being allowed to be the General still apply.

Missions
Round 1 will be Meeting Engagement

Round 2 will be Modified Blood and Glory; instead of the game being ended when an army reaches its breaking point, the game will instead be decided by Victory Points, with breaking the enemy army being worth +500pts.

Round 3 will be Battleline

Terrain
Terrain will be fixed instead of randomly generated, consisting of a mix of hills, woods, buildings and a few other minor features. Each table will have one piece of special/magical terrain using rules from the book. Its rules will be clearly specified either on a written sheet at the table or by a judge before play starts.

Look Out Sir vs. Spells
Characters will get "look out sir" versus the following spells that automatically kill models or automatically remove an entire regiment: Dwellers Below, Final Transmutation, Dreaded 13th, Infernal Gateway 11-12 effect. Normal requirements for lookout sir apply.

SCHEDULE

8:30am Doors open
9:15am Rules briefing, questions as needed
9:45am Pairings for round 1
10:00am Round 1 start- mission is Meeting Engagement
12:15pm Round 1 finish, lunch starts, paint judging- Best Appearance finalists will get a “Finalist” tag for their army, indicating that they must also put their army on display after round 2.
1:00pm Pairings for round 2
1:15pm Round 2 start, mission is modified Blood and Glory
3:30pm Round 2 finish, Best Appearance finalists put their armies on display for everyone to “ooh” and “ahh” over, and so judges can make final selection.
3:45pm Round 3 pairings.
4:00pm Round 3 start, mission is Battleline
6:15pm Round 3 finish.
6:45pm Awards

AWARDS AND SCORING

AWARDS
Best Overall Team
Best Team Generals
Best Painted Team
Best Team Sportsmen- Most favorite votes, ties broken by battle, then painting if necessary
Best Individual General- Highest battle points from a given person’s games, ties broken by who had the lower-tier army
Best Individual Appearance

SPORTSMANSHIP
Along with your Round 3 results sheets, EACH player will choose which opposing team they found the most fun to play against. Each such vote will be worth 1 overall bonus point to the final standings.

BATTLE POINTS
Each game will earn battle points for the team based on the VP differential at the end of that game, following the ETC chart, below.

0-150 Victory-Points difference - 10-10
151-300 - 11-9
301-450 - 12-8
451-600 - 13-7
601-750 - 14-6
751-900 – 15-5
901-1050 – 16-4
1051-1200- 17-3
1201-1350- 18-2
1351-1500-19-1
1500+ - 20/0

PAINTING/APPEARANCE
Each player will earn points for his team based on a standard rubric, up to 20pts. Finalists for the Best Appearance prize will get a tag saying “Finalist” left by their army during the lunch break judging, and must set up their armies again during the second break to show them off to everyone and so the judges can make a second review in order to determine the Best Appearance winner.
Last edited by mannahnin on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mannahnin

Re: NEWCC 2011- Nov 12, Manchester, CT

Postby mannahnin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:54 pm

Hey guys!

I've posted this, so far, on Dakka, here, and the Lost Legion forum. Please let me know of any other forums I should be posting on, especially for any of the other big clubs.
mannahnin

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:55 am

Okay Fantasy people, go get it done.
WickerNipple

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:17 pm

It's very important to ban items on the slann you couldn't take anyway because of the point limit.

What about special characters? If this is comped I think they should be out. There are plenty of obnoxious SC hero choices that are retarded (eg. Masque).

I also don't think ANY current armies need a 20% point increase at 1k.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Leenus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:29 pm

I know I live in on the West Coast and my opinion doesn't matter, but can we all grow some nutsacks and not have sports scoring?

You all know each other. You're all good sports. Let the judges deal with the 1 bad apple rather than determining the winner of a team competition based on who sucks the most dick. If you don't like your opponent, man up and tell him he's an asshole to his face. Don't give him a sneaky jab like a little girl. Sports scoring just leads to people biting their lip and nerd fuming internally, rather than resolving the issue and hopefully fixing the problem later. You can have the feel good award, just don't put it in overall. If it's not already, then ignore me and job well done.

Sorry, the very concept of OPPONENTS scoring your sportsmanship will never make sense to me.
Leenus

Postby Fool » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:58 pm

Anger Worm wrote:It's very important to ban items on the slann you couldn't take anyway because of the point limit.

What about special characters? If this is comped I think they should be out. There are plenty of obnoxious SC hero choices that are retarded (eg. Masque).

I also don't think ANY current armies need a 20% point increase at 1k.

Shhhhh, they'll never expect the bretts with the Green Knight, 2 trebs, and 100 bowmen.
http://www.dogbark.com
Shamelessly promoting the company I work for, host your website with us.
Fool

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Leenus wrote:You all know each other. You're all good sports. Let the judges deal with the 1 bad apple rather than determining the winner of a team competition based on who sucks the most dick. If you don't like your opponent, man up and tell him he's an asshole to his face. Don't give him a sneaky jab like a little girl. Sports scoring just leads to people biting their lip and nerd fuming internally, rather than resolving the issue and hopefully fixing the problem later. You can have the feel good award, just don't put it in overall. If it's not already, then ignore me and job well done.

Sorry, the very concept of OPPONENTS scoring your sportsmanship will never make sense to me.

Sounds like someone never gets good sports scores! :lol:
WickerNipple

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:43 pm

I think the majority of Warmongers have no problem with sports scoring in one form or another (it's why we sent Lee to Cali in the first place!). I do think it should be a pass/fail with best sports votes being unrelated to overall scores, but that said this isn't the thread to turn into a sports debate as it distracts from some real issues.

In reference to above, how about some shooting restrictions too? Seems like the comp is someone's personal list of annoyances rather than a comprehensive attempt to address balance problems. You really want me to take 6 salamanders? You really want dark elf gunlines or a list like Dave posted?
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby mannahnin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Useful feedback,thanks. We originally intended to circulate the draft rules among a few of the big clubs before the general release, but we dropped the ball on that this Summer, for which I apologize. The date started creeping up and we figured we had better get the rules we have posted so folks have some advance notice with which to plan attendance.

The list of banned items is taken from Mike's Lowhammer event this Summer (with Power Scroll omitted since GW nerfed it); if there are items on there which can't be taken anyway due to points, mea culpa for me being out of practice with WHFB (have only gotten a few games in this year and not fully updated my armies; hence missing Crossroads again this year) and I will also share the blame with Cassidy, who is more in practice and should have caught crap I didn't. :lol:

If you guys have a specific suggestion on shooting restrictions, it's potentially not too late for another adjustment to be made.

Thanks,

Ragnar
mannahnin

Postby teddet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:59 pm

I wouldn't want to take a spot from a real warmonger, but if you guys have 3 and need a 4th, I'd be interested :D. I can easily field 1k+ points of TK, and could also get 1K+ of empire, Brets or Ogres done by then.

Cheers
teddet

Next

Return to Warmonger Club