Adepticon for greenhorns

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Adepticon for greenhorns

Postby FauxTalbot » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:43 pm

Any advice you grizzled vets want to give a first-timer? Looks like I'll have at least one full day of tourney games. I'll be around for the whole event, and want to make sure I see the sights.

I'm leaving the Pocky Rhinos at home and preparing my liver.
- Mat
FauxTalbot

Re: Adepticon for greenhorns

Postby FauxTalbot » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 am

- Mat
FauxTalbot

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:54 pm

They just don't want you to learn about the adepticon virgin hazing rituals until you get there.
WickerNipple

Postby FauxTalbot » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Ruh roh...
- Mat
FauxTalbot

Postby mattbird » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:42 am

It's been customary for first-timers to buy liquor and whores for our club, so be sure to show up well prepared. Otherwise you might end up with our log shaved on your back.

and make sure at least one of the whores is old and scrappy. Pete likes 'em that way.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby mattbird » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:43 am

but I would say just play as many games as you can, get as drunk as you can, and don't waste time waiting in the Forge World line- it goes on FOREVER.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Also you have to wear one of these all weekend:

Bonus points if you get it on Birdoff when he's passed out.
WickerNipple

Postby Guy In Suit » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:17 pm

THIS.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby mannahnin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:58 pm

If you haven't been to Chicago before, be sure to try Giordano's for stuffed pizza and/or Portillo's for Chicago dogs while you're there. They aren't necessarily the BEST of Chicago, but they are excellent examples of the type, and are conveniently close to the hotel. You can take the hotel shuttle to get to either. If you hit a liquor store or supermarket and like beer, try the Goose Island stuff. That's a local brewery and very tasty.

The hotel has passable breakfast, and Harry Carey's restaurant which is good but not cheap. There's a Target next door for cheap drinks and snacks, and a mall a decent walk away across two big-ass parking lots, which has a standard mall food court an an excellent omelet/breakfast specialty place.

For Adepticon itself, play lots of games and check out the sights. I agree that it's not worth waiting in the FW line unless maybe you do it first thing in the morning. Demos are available for a lot of games. There are some good painting seminars which are probably worth your time if you're not playing tournaments every day. The tournament schedule for the big events is strenuous; get some sleep and be conscious of time to make sure you eat and keep hydrated. If you're playing in either of the big events (Championships or Team Tourney) be sure to read the missions carefully and study them before the games actually start. The Championships missions got simpler as of last year, but the Team Tourney ones in particular can be complex and the presentation on the page info-dense. It's smart to read them carefully before you get to the table so you don't miss important details or waste time during the game.
mannahnin

Postby FauxTalbot » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Awesome, thanks! I'm looking forward to a Chicago dog.. and I suppose I better get a Chicago-style pizza (when in Rome..), but I'm spoiled on pizza here in NYC and don't think it'll compare.

Is the Forge World booth just for purchasing minis or is it more of a display? If its just to buy stuff I'm better off avoiding it.. Im sure it'll be an expensive enough event without impulse buying of expensive resin minis. Although that new Chaos demon engine is pretty sweet...

Do you have to sign up for the game demos or can you just swing by? I would love to learn more about Malifaux and some of the other games out there and that might be a good time to do so.

I'm in the 40K team tourney, and will certainly take your advice on studying up on the missions. Can you drink in the gaming halls? Probably not a great idea for the team games, but it would be fun to have some beers and some casual games in the open game hall.
- Mat
FauxTalbot

Next

Return to Warmonger Club