My Brets

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: My Brets

Postby Anger Worm » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Looking good. More griffon pics would be nice. Head on doesn't really show much.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby teddet » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:25 am

I made a bit more progress last night -- gluing together a rider for the roostergryph* (and these might provide a couple other views of the griffon)

and getting the ankle joint a bit better:

* fun fact: There actually was a rooster/horse combo in greek mythology -- it was called a hyppalectryon, but had the front of a horse, and the back half of a rooster. I'm pretty sure that's what the new bretonnian units will be riding when they redo the book.

I also finished all the water for my bases -- I have enough done for the current army, plus another 10 cav. Next I need to do the rocks (and put together 10 cav :mrgreen: ).

teddet

Postby teddet » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:30 am

Okay, i finished up the rocks last night. I think they look good, but they might need something else? I was thinking maybe a couple tufts of static grass in the cracks? I also have old-school flock which I've used as moss before -- maybe some moss on the edges? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's the hippogryph rider -- I think i need to wash the column he's standing on with some black b/c otherwise it doesn't match with the base. I'm also going to pick out the vines on the column with green.

Thoughts?
teddet

Postby Anger Worm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:45 am

Awesome! I'm really digging those wave bases. Seems like green stuff with a really nice approach to the painting. Perhaps a quick photo tutorial?
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby teddet » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:11 am

Hmmm, I don't have any in-progress pics, but will probably be doing the same bases for my rooster-gryph and demigryph knights. I'll try and take pics then. It's actually much easier than greenstuff -- I bought caulk from a hardware store and spread it out on the bases. It's stick enough that I got the effect as I spread it out -- where I needed more waves, I used a sculpting tool to pull the stuff in the direction I wanted. I let it dry overnight, then spray-painted them white. I did a first layer on the water with a blue ink, and then just 3 drybrush layers -- hawk blue, (enchanted?) blue, and white. The rocks were black and two greys.

Last night I got the peg bases ready to go (but didn't bother to pull my peg knights out of the case to attach them. I will have to figure out the best way to have these guys continue to face in one direction while also have them disassemble so I can transport them. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I also took some scale pics of the old hippogryph next to the new "rooster-gryph". Hippogryph IS on a 40mm base because I plan to use him as a royal peg (I'm working on a 50mm base for the 40mm one to sit in), but the size difference is still incredible.

I also attached one of my in-progress knights to a base just to see what it would look like. It appears that I will have to do LOTS of pinning to get these together.

Also, any thoughts on the head? It's an old-school bret horse head where I made a neck out of greenstuff so that it "fit" on the new horse. Does it look too small? I love the old metal horse heads but hate the bodies, so will be doing up a bunch of these.
teddet

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:15 am

Head looks fine to me.

HOLY SHIT the new Griff. I knew it was huge, but I hadn't seen it right up next to an old one yet.
WickerNipple

Postby teddet » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:15 am

So, I've gotten a bunch glued to the bases. I have only blackberry pics for now, but will try for better pics once I have the whole thing done. I think they look pretty decent.

Work in Progress:

Some more completed:

And the whole crew (although badly lit):
teddet

Postby teddet » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:16 pm

I managed to grab some better photos:

Some Peg Knights and Individual Models (some still need to be blended to their new bases):

(The "green" knight is still a work in progress)

And some shots of the group together:

I think that for now I will keep the metal bases, but paint them hawk turquoise to match the rims of my bases -- I may even try to do some brushwork waves/blending on them, but we'll have to see on that.
teddet

Postby teddet » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:10 am

And now back to the other things i'm working on. A couple pics of the rooster-gryph in progress. The foot transplant meant that he didn't sit well on the ground, so I pinned him to the rocky outcropping that comes with the kit. He'll get some more rocks/waves on the base.

And then a unit filler for my men at arms. Obviously not as blessed as the noble bretonnians, they can't ride on top of the water... So they'll be slowly wading into it. Except of course the champion, who gets to ride on a boat. He's on a "rank" base, so i think he should still function as a champ, despite being on a weird base. And if i don't take a champ -- which is likely to be the case, he can just look inspiring to the troops.

The champ and archer are from red box games, while the priest is from ex illis. They're less "heroic-sized" than gw miniatures, so I'm hoping to create a contrast with the unit by having the rest of the unit much lower -- basically, the front rank is going to be thigh-deep in the water, the second rank is going to be knee deep, the third rank will be just wading, and the last rank will be on the beach. I'm going to try and put them together in such a way that they'll work as a horde -- 4 ranks (maybe a 5th?), or in ranks of 5 -- in which case, 2 ranks will be waist deep, 2 will be knee deep, etc. They'll all get the same waves around them as the horse-bases have (hopefully :D).

teddet

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:21 am

The boat is a nice touch.

I still can't get over how ridiculously big that Griffon is.
WickerNipple

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting