My Brets

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: My Brets

Postby teddet » Thu May 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Just a quick update. I couldn't face painting rank and file, so I did a bit more work on the banshee. I may see if I can get a glowing effect on the eyes/mouth (I was going for the "jewel" look, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped).

teddet

Postby teddet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:47 am

I have not totally disappeared, I just haven't had much time to paint lately. However, I have been getting some work done. I've gotten some flesh colour and highlights on my knights. I'm not sure what I think of them though -- they look a little pale. My favourite is the giant, but that might be because there's more to work with. This was tanned flesh shadow, wash with gryffon sepia, tanned flesh, and tanned flesh highlight. Any hints/suggestions would be accepted.

Here they are in order from my least favourite to my most favourite (also, they don't look quite as ghastly in person -- i think the late night BB photography doesn't help).

teddet

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:51 pm

I think your flesh looks good, but might be better served by a darker shadow. The first brown layer (tanned flesh?) Looks a bit mustard/jaundiced, especially when next to so much yellow. Starting with dark flesh or using a stronger shade (like devlan mud) before highlighting should help this. You could probably do a watered down wash to darken what you've already completed.

Still looking really nice overall!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby teddet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks -- i'll try a watered down devlan mud wash tonight. And yeah -- I think sepia was the wrong wash on the tanned flesh color. I've used it with good effect on "pinker" flesh tones, but it doesn't seem to have worked as well on these.
teddet

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Id suggest the dark wash for the figures you've already finished, but starting with a darker base color paint for the models you haven't. I think that will save you from needing a corrective wash.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby teddet » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks for the tip -- I tried a thinned down devlan mud, and a thinned down sepia/red wash on them. I think they look a good bit better (but it might also be that I took the photos in natural light :D). I'll try a darker base colour on the next guys or maybe do shade, a full-on devlan mud wash, then layer the shade (again), color, and highlight over that?

Any thoughts on a weapon for the guy on the right? I'm wondering about a falcon arm.

He should have a lighter.
teddet

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:47 pm

I think those tones look a lot more natural. I honestly don't think you need to change your approach to highlights as that looked nice, it was just that yellow-brown underneath. A watered mud wash somewhere midway may help blend your layers.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby teddet » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:27 am

I promised updates, and here they are. First, there's been a bit of progress on one of the units of men-at-arms:

(Purple sea monsters are the most dangerous kind)

They're also getting more colours generally. Next up is some flesh colour.

AND, i've been working on the display board:

Here's the basic setup with the units on it:

Then it got a layer of caulk to be the ocean (it appears to be a choppy morning)

Then the beach appeared

Then all the units decided to show up again:

Next steps will be painting the whole thing. I'm thinking of masking the wooden frame and leaving it "wood-coloured". I think it makes a cool frame, thoughts?
teddet

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:37 am

The wood frame, possibly stained dark, would look very nice.

I'd aim to match the dark brown horsies/peg wings.
WickerNipple

Postby teddet » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks -- i'll have to think about how to stain it (looks pretty "plasticized" to me, not sure how well the stain would work?). Also, i forgot to put up pics of the painted board -- here they are:

WIP

Then the whole thing with the army on it:

And some close ups:

teddet

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting